#1 JKor

JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 40725 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 09 June 2019 - 08:35 PM

I did not realize this.  Apparently it's the black sheep among Porsche enthusiasts?  That was the 911 I coveted when I was coming of age and dreaming of buying a sports car.  Now you can get them with reasonable miles for under $20k and Turbos for under $50k.  This is crazy to me.  I can definitely see myself owning one of these cars in the not too distant future.

#2 miccullen

miccullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 62161 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 09 June 2019 - 08:38 PM

make sure your life Insurance is topped up

#3 TonyBrown

TonyBrown

Comptroller of C-Blocking and Wet Streak Marks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 57812 posts
  • LocationAntioch, IL

Posted 09 June 2019 - 08:41 PM

apparently they are quite reliable (given the class of car they are).  you will find a ton of high mileage ones, but you'll find them for good reason, people could actually DRIVE them instead of just pulling them out on a sunday for a little drive to get coffee

#4 JKor

JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 40725 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 09 June 2019 - 08:54 PM

I just happened to stumble on a YT video of a guy talking about how they get a bad rap...and I didn't even know they had a bad rap.  I started poking around at prices and saw stuff like this:

https://www.carfax.c...0CA2990YS652575

2000 Cabriolet, 73k miles, $18k. 

Here's a 2003 with only 32k miles for $27k

https://www.carfax.c...0CA29933S652255

I'm really shocked by this.  

#5 TonyBrown

TonyBrown

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 57812 posts
  • LocationAntioch, IL

Posted 09 June 2019 - 08:55 PM

as with any german vehicle, it pays to learn how to turn your own wrenches.

#6 JKor

JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 40725 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 09 June 2019 - 09:10 PM

as with any german vehicle, it pays to learn how to turn your own wrenches.

Yeah, that's a given.

I just happened to stumble on a YT video of a guy talking about how they get a bad rap...and I didn't even know they had a bad rap.  I started poking around at prices and saw stuff like this:

https://www.carfax.c...0CA2990YS652575

2000 Cabriolet, 73k miles, $18k. 

Here's a 2003 with only 32k miles for $27k

https://www.carfax.c...0CA29933S652255

I'm really shocked by this.  

Heck, the prices for the early 997s aren't even bad, low $30s for a 2005 Carrera S.

https://www.carfax.c...0AB29955S741557

#7 TonyBrown

TonyBrown

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 57812 posts
  • LocationAntioch, IL

Posted 09 June 2019 - 09:14 PM

i did a quick search on car gurus and saw several convertible AWD's for sub 20k with what I felt were acceptable mileage

#8 JKor

JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 40725 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 09 June 2019 - 09:17 PM

Hmmm...build a patio or buy a 911... :scratch:

#9 TonyBrown

TonyBrown

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 57812 posts
  • LocationAntioch, IL

Posted 09 June 2019 - 09:19 PM

i know which one is more fun and possibly cheaper.

#10 JKor

JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 40725 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 09 June 2019 - 09:35 PM

Meh, I'm going to hold out on a good deal for a Turbo.  :D

#11 TonyBrown

TonyBrown

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 57812 posts
  • LocationAntioch, IL

Posted 09 June 2019 - 09:43 PM

even the non-turbos are good for 170+mph.  but I understand.

#12 Car ChuckRam

Car ChuckRam

Rami!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7860 posts

Posted 09 June 2019 - 09:55 PM

At one time I owned two 1978, 930 race cars, and a 1989 964. As TonyBrown mentioned, you get real good, real fast at turning your own wrenches, once you recover from the sticker shock of a dealer repair. With the race cars, it sometimes seemed like I spent more time saving up for parts, than I did racing. I sold the race cars when I did a couple of car swaps at track weekend, and discovered that Mazda Miatas, and Dodge Neons were just as much fun for a quarter of the price. I sold the 964 when my insurance bill got prohibitively expensive because of the tickets.

If you do decide to buy a used one,find an independant shop that specializes in them, and have them go over it with a fine toothed comb. Even if you buy from a Porsche dealer, DO NOT USE THEIR SERVICE DEPARTMENT. I brought in 14 different 964’s to the guy who got me started racing the 930’s, and he told me the price I should offer based on the condition. Every offer was refused. Number 15 was accepted. His baseline was “I’m a professional Porsche mechanic, would I buy this car? It cost me $100 per, plus a bottle of the good stuff at Christmas, but he saved me potentially tens of thousands of dollars.

My powerball car is a 991 GT2 RS. I’m gonna walk in the dealership, Dukes style with that big cardboard check.

#13 Area Man

Area Man

Comptroller of Geometry

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8527 posts
  • LocationAbilizzle

Posted 09 June 2019 - 10:54 PM

Shut it! I’m hoping to own one within the next couple years.

#14 EWW

EWW

Regular, normal human being

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20999 posts
  • LocationSomewhere special

Posted 10 June 2019 - 01:23 AM

https://bringatraile...che-boxster-12/

#15 Sidney Porter

Sidney Porter

Comptroller of the Banninated

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20947 posts
  • LocationColumbus OH

Posted 10 June 2019 - 03:24 AM

Is that the generation with the ims issue? Make sure that repair has been completed or budget for the repair.

#16 dondewey

dondewey

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1251 posts
  • LocationVA

Posted 10 June 2019 - 04:44 AM

Is that the generation with the ims issue? Make sure that repair has been completed or budget for the repair.

Yes. But probably mostly a non issue at this point.

Get an na first; turbo down the road.

Love the interior quality of porsches. They just don't seem to wear out at anywhere near the rate of most cars.

Those engines are good for crazy miles if you take care of them.

#17 JKor

JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 40725 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 10 June 2019 - 05:52 AM

At one time I owned two 1978, 930 race cars, and a 1989 964. As TonyBrown mentioned, you get real good, real fast at turning your own wrenches, once you recover from the sticker shock of a dealer repair. With the race cars, it sometimes seemed like I spent more time saving up for parts, than I did racing. I sold the race cars when I did a couple of car swaps at track weekend, and discovered that Mazda Miatas, and Dodge Neons were just as much fun for a quarter of the price. I sold the 964 when my insurance bill got prohibitively expensive because of the tickets.

If you do decide to buy a used one,find an independant shop that specializes in them, and have them go over it with a fine toothed comb. Even if you buy from a Porsche dealer, DO NOT USE THEIR SERVICE DEPARTMENT. I brought in 14 different 964’s to the guy who got me started racing the 930’s, and he told me the price I should offer based on the condition. Every offer was refused. Number 15 was accepted. His baseline was “I’m a professional Porsche mechanic, would I buy this car? It cost me $100 per, plus a bottle of the good stuff at Christmas, but he saved me potentially tens of thousands of dollars.

My powerball car is a 991 GT2 RS. I’m gonna walk in the dealership, Dukes style with that big cardboard check.

Sounds like I need to find a good Porsche mechanic in the area.  

I like the Boxster, but the 911 is my (attainable) dream car.  I almost bought a '97 Boxster in 2001 when I bought my WRX.  I was driving a shit ton at the time and putting 40k miles/yr on a used Boxster seemed like a bad idea.

Yes. But probably mostly a non issue at this point.

Get an na first; turbo down the road.

Love the interior quality of porsches. They just don't seem to wear out at anywhere near the rate of most cars.

Those engines are good for crazy miles if you take care of them.

My one gripe with the 996 is that the NA cars were under powered for my taste.  I haven't been following sports car development since 2004-ish so I'm getting caught up here.  The 997 3.8L NA seems like it got the 911 over the hump (in my view) on the power issue.  The Turbo is still my dream car though.

This little sweetie is on a lot right down the street from me: https://www.drumhill...31/Details.aspx

I have to run down to the AutoZone that's a stone's throw from the dealership.  I may take a look (not buying).

Yeah, apparently it's $2k fix.

#18 Brian72

Brian72

Peter Freer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 36450 posts
  • LocationYour mom

Posted 10 June 2019 - 06:04 AM

Yikes, isn’t the 911 the one that goes for north of $100k new?

#19 JKor

JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 40725 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 10 June 2019 - 06:18 AM

Yikes, isn’t the 911 the one that goes for north of $100k new?

I think the base level trim is (Carrera) is still under $100k but I haven't looked at the new ones, the generation I'm looking at went for $75k-$80k back in the day.  The Turbo models are well over $100k.

ETA:  According to the Porsche website the current 911 Carrera starts at $91k, 911 Turbo base is $162k.

Edited by JKor, 10 June 2019 - 06:29 AM.

#20 Brian72

Brian72

Peter Freer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 36450 posts
  • LocationYour mom

Posted 10 June 2019 - 06:53 AM

Dang, I would have figured they’d have held their value better.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users