#41 GaryNConcord

GaryNConcord

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1847 posts
  • LocationConcord, NC

Posted 30 May 2019 - 10:26 AM

I am so sorry to hear that.  Raising one in her honor tonight, and vibes to the family. 

#42 miccullen

miccullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64920 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 30 May 2019 - 10:46 AM

my condolences

This happened to a HS friend this last fall, 44 YO, just went to sleep and cold dead by morning.

#43 BobG

BobG

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1526 posts
  • LocationFort Wayne, IN

Posted 30 May 2019 - 01:05 PM

I'm sorry for your loss. Vibes to you and your family.

#44 inv

inv

Not Invalid

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12118 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 30 May 2019 - 01:51 PM

I'm sorry for your loss

#45 Mando

Mando

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 44872 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 30 May 2019 - 02:38 PM

wow - that is really young for this sort of thing.  hopefully it was something quick and painless.  it's the best any of us could ask for in the end.

#46 ER Pemberton

ER Pemberton

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35784 posts

Posted 30 May 2019 - 03:32 PM

B2000:  Many vibes sent in your direction.  

#47 codemonkey

codemonkey

Ass. Comptroller of Ferthdays

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18916 posts
  • LocationMy suburban paradise

Posted 30 May 2019 - 03:32 PM

Sorry for your loss :(

#48 Zaphod_Beeblebrox

Zaphod_Beeblebrox

Comptroller of Nothing

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 45718 posts

Posted 30 May 2019 - 03:34 PM

Vibes brother

RIP Karen

#49 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9978 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 30 May 2019 - 04:03 PM

Thank you all again, brothers, for the vibes and well wishes.  Things are still settling in.

Hoisting a few tonight in solidarity; wouldn't be right to ask you all to hoist and not hoist tonight myself.

Cheers, lads.

#50 Stains_not_here_man

Stains_not_here_man

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 86982 posts

Posted 30 May 2019 - 04:21 PM

Nothing I can really say that hasn't been said... This sucks. Hoisting a few.

#51 Mickey

Mickey

Comptroller of King Richard V

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37406 posts
  • LocationYor Mom’s house

Posted 30 May 2019 - 05:04 PM

Nothing I can really say that hasn't been said... This sucks. Hoisting a few.

This.... *burns a wheel, and cracks open a beer*

Edited by Grawlix, 30 May 2019 - 05:04 PM.

#52 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9978 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 01 June 2019 - 01:41 PM

A bit of angry drinking today.

I am forced into dealing with my mother again; I'd forgotten how much of a conniving, underhanded, greedy c*nt she is, and just an all around despicable human being.  As if I needed a reminder of why I'd cut ties with her before.

Can't wait for this process to be over so I can go back to not dealing with her.  Unless something changes, I foresee needing to enlist the aid of an attorney, as I don't trust my mother to handle things correctly.

Right now, mom is next of kin and is handling things, but once my sister's will is recovered and read, we will learn who is tagged to be executor of her estate, either my mother or me.

Hoping its me to be executor, as I can easily see my mom doing everything she can to screw my brother and me.

Feck.

#53 humdum

humdum

Comptroller of Chili and Other Fine Bean-Free Foods

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8770 posts
  • LocationThe Republic of Texas

Posted 02 June 2019 - 07:05 AM

Vibes man. Saddened by your loss, Godspeed Karen.

#54 Mando

Mando

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 44872 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 02 June 2019 - 10:39 AM

A bit of angry drinking today.

I am forced into dealing with my mother again; I'd forgotten how much of a conniving, underhanded, greedy c*nt she is, and just an all around despicable human being.  As if I needed a reminder of why I'd cut ties with her before.

Can't wait for this process to be over so I can go back to not dealing with her.  Unless something changes, I foresee needing to enlist the aid of an attorney, as I don't trust my mother to handle things correctly.

Right now, mom is next of kin and is handling things, but once my sister's will is recovered and read, we will learn who is tagged to be executor of her estate, either my mother or me.

Hoping its me to be executor, as I can easily see my mom doing everything she can to screw my brother and me.

Feck.

unless he was really loaded and you guys have some serious cash coming your way it's probably be better if you weren't the executor.  then you could wash your hands of the whole thing sooner.

#55 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9978 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 02 June 2019 - 04:12 PM

unless he was really loaded and you guys have some serious cash coming your way it's probably be better if you weren't the executor.  then you could wash your hands of the whole thing sooner.

Quite possibly true.

Found out that the DHS folks are working with the local police to obtain permission to enter her home and try to find whatever important papers she had, especially a will, and whatever they can find, they will send to my mom, as next of kin.

Then we find out who the executor is and what Karen's wishes for final arrangements/disposition of her assets.

When she was in the Army, one of her main jobs was to prepare living wills for soldiers for both routine and emergency deployments; I can't imagine she didn't have a will prepared for herself, but we're playing the waiting game at the moment.

Will be glad when this whole thing is over and past.

#56 Ineedacatscan

Ineedacatscan

Comptroller of BAW!!!1!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4227 posts

Posted 02 June 2019 - 04:52 PM

My wife’s grandparents asked my thoughts on how they should handle the executor for their will.

I said let it be an uninterested party. Just to avoid any undue stress or burden

#57 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9978 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 02 June 2019 - 04:55 PM

My wife’s grandparents asked my thoughts on how they should handle the executor for their will.

I said let it be an uninterested party. Just to avoid any undue stress or burden

Good advice. 

My hope is Karen picked a fellow attorney where she worked, or a local attorney in Denver, to be her executor, vs. a family member.

#58 Glacies

Glacies

Comptroller of Schwanz Hats

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5095 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 03:12 AM

Hey man, sorry i'm late to the thread. Sorry to hear about your sister. Sending vibes your way. 

#59 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9978 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 08 June 2019 - 04:14 PM

Bumping for a minor update.

Got a very nice sympathy card in the mail today from the folks at the Homeland Security HR dept., extending their condolences, with several handwritten notes and well wishes.  That was way cool.

I also found out that my sister named me as a beneficiary (or at the least, according to a letter I got last week from Homeland Security HR, I'm a potential beneficiary) for her life insurance and retirement pay; got the beneficiary paperwork done and mailed off today. 

Will know sometime b/w Halloween and Christmas if I'm a beneficiary at all, a beneficiary along with my mother and brother, or if I'm her sole beneficiary; until then, I know absolutely nothing.  Don't care one way or another. 

The way I see things, I have my own money and can provide for myself and my family; I never wanted, expected, or hoped to ever mooch of any of hers, which is kinda how this feels at the moment.  My family, however, sees things a bit differently.  My mother seems to think I'm the sole beneficiary (that she and my brother are being cut out entirely), and that I'm going to inherit some kind of small fortune.

That, and other extremely upsetting issues, came to a head late last week, when she and I last spoke by phone. An extremely contentious call, and it became starkly apparent to me that she is only hoping to cash in on my sister's passing, and that she also admitted to doing a few things in preparing Karen's final arrangements that will only line my mother's pocket. 

That call did not end well.

TL;DR - I'd rather have my sister back.

#60 EWW

EWW

Regular, normal human being

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23047 posts
  • LocationSomewhere special

Posted 08 June 2019 - 04:31 PM

When a family is grieving and money is involved

Vibes

I’m not saying anyone is solely interested in the money, it just complicates the grief process

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users