#1 AspenLeif

AspenLeif

Comptroller of Gingerliness

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18783 posts
  • LocationAspen, CO

Posted 21 May 2019 - 12:56 PM

My right shoulder.  I beat it up pretty good in ihghschool baseball.  Then about 15 years ago, I injured it in beer league softball.  Was late to the game, no warmup...ran out to left field, first damn ball gets hit to me, and with a cold arm, messed something up in there throwing it in.  It's always bothered me, but as long as I warm up through some pain really good before playing ball or hockey, I've gotten by.  It's been getting worse though over the last couple years.  Like warming up doesn't get rid of the pain of movement always.  I've been slowly losing range of motion.  About 3 months ago, I could no longer do a pushup (or was the motion from upward dog to downward dog in yoga).  I've more regularly been getting pain with just weird movements.  And can't sleep on my right side at night because after about 30min, my right shoulder is throbbing.  

Fast forward to last night playing hockey.  Went into the boards awkward, and thought I felt it in my neck actually.  I'm a lefty sick (right hand on top of the stick).  Sit out for a couple shifts, go back in and tried to lift someones stick with mine to make them miss the puck.  Didn't realize my shoulder was hurt yet, and it felt like someone just stuck me in the shoulder with a cattle prod with that upward motion.  Go immediately to the bench, and go wtf...and move arm around a little.  Yeah, it hurts.  Go back out for another shift, go to do a 1 handed defensive swat with my right arm, from outside to inside and I dropped my stick I was in so much pain.  

I feel some clicking with what limited movement I am able to do today.  Any movement straight up, or adducting from outside to in is some serious pain.  Have ortho appt scheduled for Thursday morning.  Today was the doc's surgery day and tomorrow a personal day.  

#2 TonyBrown

TonyBrown

Comptroller of C-Blocking and Wet Streak Marks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 57812 posts
  • LocationAntioch, IL

Posted 21 May 2019 - 01:02 PM

I only know two people that have had cuff surgery, very long recovery times, like 6-9 months or more to get back to 95%

#3 Dave

Dave

Grammaraticus of Titty Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 29028 posts
  • LocationLugnar Island

Posted 21 May 2019 - 01:37 PM

Might not mean cuff surgery.

I've had 3 debridements ( 2 on one side) that helped a lot but I still have pain..surgeon said cuff wasn't the issue.

I can windmill my arms with no issue but lifting them up to the sides or front with my arms straight hurt.

#4 the_stain

the_stain

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 74335 posts

Posted 21 May 2019 - 01:40 PM

My dad had both shoulders done. He had to sleep upright in a recliner with his arms up for 2 months, or something.

#5 maddog

maddog

Comptroller of badogg

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6892 posts

Posted 21 May 2019 - 02:07 PM

It hurts.

#6 Mexas Joe

Mexas Joe

Obama Thanker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20026 posts
  • LocationIt's OK to be White

Posted 21 May 2019 - 02:10 PM

Had both shoulders done about 5 years ago. Did one, and the other the following year.

Wearing a padded sling and sleeping upright for 2 weeks sucks.

Both my shoulders hurt again and I'm afraid I need to do them both again.

I had both tears and spurs. 

I was talking to a customer a few weeks ago that had had over 8 procedures on both shoulders. 

#7 Dave

Dave

Grammaraticus of Titty Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 29028 posts
  • LocationLugnar Island

Posted 21 May 2019 - 02:16 PM

I've never known someone with shoulder problems that came through either cuff or debridements without recurring pain or other issues.

My right shoulder is hurting today from sleeping on that side last night.

#8 AspenLeif

AspenLeif

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18783 posts
  • LocationAspen, CO

Posted 21 May 2019 - 02:20 PM

Might not mean cuff surgery.

I've had 3 debridements ( 2 on one side) that helped a lot but I still have pain..surgeon said cuff wasn't the issue.

I can windmill my arms with no issue but lifting them up to the sides or front with my arms straight hurt.

I sincerely hope it is not as serious as cuff surgery.  I really don't want to go through that kind of fix.  Likely, it's not.  Probably some scar tissue from that old injury, and was just getting worse.  Then something with the impact last night broke some shit free.  

#9 Mexas Joe

Mexas Joe

Obama Thanker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20026 posts

Posted 21 May 2019 - 02:23 PM

I've never known someone with shoulder problems that came through either cuff or debridements without recurring pain or other issues.

My right shoulder is hurting today from sleeping on that side last night.

I'm a side sleeper as well. Hell on your shoulders.

Aspen, I let them do a nerve block the first time. Hated how it felt wearing off. Didn't do it the next time and don't feel I missed any benefit. 

#10 Mexas Joe

Mexas Joe

Obama Thanker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20026 posts

Posted 21 May 2019 - 02:25 PM

Tears are tricky bastards. I was MRI negative on both shoulders for tears, however he found them once the Dr got in there with his scope. 

tl:dr

an MRI does not rule anything out. 

#11 armagh

armagh

Grumpy Frost Giant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6549 posts
  • LocationBandit Country

Posted 21 May 2019 - 02:33 PM

Had rotator cuff surgery on both shoulders.  One (left) was a breeze - bone spurs, some labrum tears and removed the coracoidacromial ligament to stop it from fraying the supraspinatus. Closed procedure.  Surgery Friday, PT started Monday.  Doing push-ups after three weeks.  Right was also closed procedure but recovery took longer because they had to remove some necrotic bone at the AC joint.  Few nights in a recliner, slightly longer recovery but tolerable.

Still swim freestyle, backstroke and butterfly competitively with no ill effects 20 years later.

Usually a surgeon will hit you with a cortisone shot and give you some exercises and have you back in a couple of weeks.  If nothing improves. they cut.  Don't bother with a shoulder MRI unless the surgeon recommends, they are notoriously inaccurate for shoulders.  Good luck.

#12 Vagus

Vagus

Just had an organism

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38616 posts
  • LocationThere

Posted 21 May 2019 - 02:41 PM

dat necrotic bone, tho

#13 Sidney Porter

Sidney Porter

Comptroller of the Banninated

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20947 posts
  • LocationColumbus OH

Posted 21 May 2019 - 02:49 PM

I have known 2 people that had it done both failed to do the exercises afterwards. They both had to have extra work for scar tissue removed

#14 AspenLeif

AspenLeif

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18783 posts
  • LocationAspen, CO

Posted 21 May 2019 - 02:54 PM

I don't think I've been able to fully windmill my right arm in over 5 years.  Maybe after have done some major stretching, but never out of the gate.  

I have known 2 people that had it done both failed to do the exercises afterwards. They both had to have extra work for scar tissue removed

That is one thing I don't #### around with.  Always do more rehab than necessary.  My ex was a OT, and know the dangers of not doing the rehab.  

#15 JKor

JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 40725 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 21 May 2019 - 03:27 PM

I've had long running low grade shoulder pain. It's usually not too bad and it hasn't gotten worse in a long time. I just need to make sure I don't do anything to make it worse. Shoulder problems are awful.

#16 KSUwildcatFAN

KSUwildcatFAN

Comptroller of ChopSticks & Ghey Bach Chow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5734 posts
  • LocationKC Area

Posted 21 May 2019 - 03:32 PM

I've had undiagnosed shoulder injuries twice that I believe were rotator cuff issues. Both took a year or so of no weights before I couldn't feel pain. I'm not a regular lifter, but I'll never push weight over my head again and elbows in super tight on bench.

#17 BuxomBrewster

BuxomBrewster

Snow White

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7765 posts

Posted 21 May 2019 - 03:44 PM

We’ve been working on my right shoulder in massage therapy the last few months. Sucks, but we are making progress. When he tries to bring my arm up over my head I flinch in pain, it’s bad. I was in PT for it when I was 20, but it didn’t do any good. This is working, slowly, but it is improving. I can only play the cello for about 20 minutes before the pain starts up again. It appears every single muscle in my pecs, upper arm, shoulder and back in that area are messed up. I have hopes that it will be mostly fixed by the end of summer. I take a long time to heal.

#18 SugarTits

SugarTits

Comptroller of Nothing

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42607 posts

Posted 21 May 2019 - 03:45 PM

Hopefully when they scope it you will have the option for cortisone treatment. I had a minor tear from an adult league baseball game I was pitching. After a day I could not raise my arm above my waist. After being scoped the doctor wanted to try cortisone treatments. After the third session the shoulder was good. I think the treatments were every two weeks. I also had daily exercises to perform and absolutely no sports for 6 months.

I still get soreness, throw a football does it most often.

#19 codemonkey

codemonkey

Ass. Comptroller of Ferthdays

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18872 posts
  • LocationMy suburban paradise

Posted 21 May 2019 - 03:45 PM

I've taken two serious falls on my right arm/shoulder. Probably should have gone to the hospital for one of them. Seemed to have healed fine, but oly lifting is making it hurt again. Went to a PT and she has me doing this crossover symmetry thing every day. It's helping. Since it's a limiting factor - can't go heavy when you flinch - I also just ordered a "shoulderok." Should be here by the weekend so we'll see how it works out. 

Shoulder injuries suck. Not as bad a back, but still suck. Especially when they're problems that don't really get better on their own.

#20 AspenLeif

AspenLeif

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18783 posts
  • LocationAspen, CO

Posted 21 May 2019 - 03:52 PM

I've had long running low grade shoulder pain. It's usually not too bad and it hasn't gotten worse in a long time. I just need to make sure I don't do anything to make it worse. Shoulder problems are awful.

That was me, but getting slightly worse over the years, until yesterday.  I started lifting again about a year ago, not heavy just more reps.  After about 4 months, both shoulders started to get really sore and I had to stop.  Flies and presses hurt.  #### man, it sucks.  

Shoulder injuries suck. Not as bad a back, but still suck. Especially when they're problems that don't really get better on their own.

You are not kidding.  I've had some back pain/issues, but ever so thankfully nothing serious.  Not sure how with all the lifting and crazy lifting work I've done over my life.  This is really painful.  I can't move quick at all, but if I move really slowly, I can lift my arm over my head without as much pain.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users