#1 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 20 May 2019 - 05:34 AM

Below is this coming Saturday's muse.  I've been wanting to use corn for awhile now.  The question is, do I use a healthy slurry of German S-189/34/70 combo or smack a pack of WY1728 Scottish Ale?  I'm confident this simple recipe would shine with either choice.  As always indecision may or may not be my problem :)

Wadda ya say fellas, which yeast.  And how's the recipe look to you?

Estimated OG: 1.057 SG
Estimated Color: 4.7 SRM
Estimated IBU: 25.4 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Boil Time: 40 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt               Name                              Type        #       %/IBU       
8 lbs 8.0 oz      Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM)     Grain       1       73.9 %      
2 lbs             Corn, Flaked (1.3 SRM)            Grain       2       17.4 %      
1 lbs             Barke Munich (10.0 SRM)           Grain       3       8.7 %       

1.00 oz           Tettnang [4.40 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop         4       12.4 IBUs   
1.00 oz           Tettnang [4.40 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop         5       9.8 IBUs    
1.00 oz           Tettnang [4.40 %] - Boil 5.0 min  Hop         6       3.2 IBUs    

#2 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 20 May 2019 - 06:23 AM

I would go the lager yeast route if it was me.

#3 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49857 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 20 May 2019 - 06:41 AM

Another vote for lager.

I know a guy who brewed at Genny for 40+ years. He told me that at one time, the Cream Ale was a blend of 12 Horse Ale and Genessee Beer. I believe now they make it on its own with their lager yeast.

#4 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 20 May 2019 - 06:47 AM

I always thought Genne was an ale yeast no?

#5 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49857 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 20 May 2019 - 06:50 AM

I’m friends with the guy who runs their R&D, I’ll ask him, but I thought it was lager.

#6 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 20 May 2019 - 06:51 AM

Another vote for lager.

#7 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 20 May 2019 - 07:21 AM

I'm sensing a pattern here hahahaha.  I guess it would be good to get another use out of that wonderful slurry. 

But I need a good "next recipe" for that Scottish Ale yeast.  Never made a shilling beer..... hmmm....

#8 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 20 May 2019 - 10:20 AM

Shilling is a great choice...but another vote for lager.

I've actually got a fresh cake that I'm considering for use in a session IPA. The flavor of the yeast is just so good!

#9 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 20 May 2019 - 11:04 AM

I always thought Genne was an ale yeast no?

Think so.or not....https://www.experime...jenny-cream-ale

https://www.experime...hable-cream-ale

#10 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 20 May 2019 - 11:50 AM

Shilling is a great choice...but another vote for lager.

I've actually got a fresh cake that I'm considering for use in a session IPA. The flavor of the yeast is just so good!

34/70?

I read that at your site and also listened to Drew's podcast on it.  Can go either way.  

#11 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 20 May 2019 - 12:42 PM

I've actually got some Omega Bayern. It's some really good stuff!

#12 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 20 May 2019 - 12:44 PM

I've actually got some Omega Bayern. It's some really good stuff!

Very good yeast as many here would agree.  I ran a pack of that 5 times last summer :)

#13 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 20 May 2019 - 01:21 PM

My 2 cents: if you have 34/70 up and running, or a fresh slurry on hand, use that for lager version of the OP recipe.

#14 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 20 May 2019 - 01:31 PM

My 2 cents: if you have 34/70 up and running, or a fresh slurry on hand, use that for lager version of the OP recipe.

Your .02 is the right choice.  I actually have a healthy pile of a mixed slurry S189 and 34/70.  Several batches back I had a pack of each and combined them and made a delicious Vienna Lager.  So lately I've been buy them for that purpose.

#15 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49857 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 20 May 2019 - 04:35 PM

So my old timer says it’s ale. I’ll check with the current dude soon

#16 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 21 May 2019 - 04:22 AM

Interesting

#17 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 21 May 2019 - 04:26 AM

Lager yeast it is and very timely since I just received my copy of Beer and Brewing which is replete with Pilsner articles, kicked off by Drew Beechum. Inspired!!!!

#18 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 21 May 2019 - 04:29 AM

Lager yeast it is and very timely since I just received my copy of Beer and Brewing which is replete with Pilsner articles, kicked off by Drew Beechum. Inspired!!!!

I only listen to the podcast and read their website... is the magazine worth the subscription price?

#19 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 21 May 2019 - 05:19 AM

I only listen to the podcast and read their website... is the magazine worth the subscription price?

I listen to their podcast and Holl along with Auggie Carton's "Steal this Beer."  This is my third copy and I have to say I like the magazine.  It blends homebrewing into commercial and so far the topics have been enjoyable.  There is always a themed style showcase and in the last pages of the magazine they point out many commercial styles for those of us who still purchase beer (for R&D purposes hahaha)....  This particular issue is Pils centric and Drew articles the Light Lager.  Also other articles on Pils.  Good timing for Saturday's brew :)  If you can, try and  listen to Steal this Beer episode 196.  Very Pilsner inspiring - Bierstadt Lagerhaus

#20 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 21 May 2019 - 05:34 AM

I listen to their podcast and Holl along with Auggie Carton's "Steal this Beer."  This is my third copy and I have to say I like the magazine.  It blends homebrewing into commercial and so far the topics have been enjoyable.  There is always a themed style showcase and in the last pages of the magazine they point out many commercial styles for those of us who still purchase beer (for R&D purposes hahaha)....  This particular issue is Pils centric and Drew articles the Light Lager.  Also other articles on Pils.  Good timing for Saturday's brew :)  If you can, try and  listen to Steal this Beer episode 196.  Very Pilsner inspiring - Bierstadt Lagerhaus

HA .. I have been listing to the same 2 podcasts lately. 

I will have to run to B&N and see if they have a copy of the magazine.

ETA: Bierstadt Lagerhaus was also on a Beer and Brewing podcast and worth the listen

Edited by HVB, 21 May 2019 - 05:36 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users