Doc:You have testicular cancer Ma’am

#3 ER Pemberton

ER Pemberton

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32415 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 02:36 PM

So it's a woman who identifies as a man but got pregnant... by a man.  Do I have that right?

#4 Vagus

Vagus

Just had an organism

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38913 posts
  • LocationThere

Posted 16 May 2019 - 02:42 PM

So it's a woman who identifies as a man but got pregnant... by a man. Do I have that right?

Life finds a way.

#5 ER Pemberton

ER Pemberton

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32415 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 02:47 PM

I guess the part I'm confused about is this:  Did the patient know they were pregnant when they went in?  The story says that the patient "peed myself" when a pregnancy test came back positive but they didn't say when that occurred.  If the patient knew they were pregnant why didn't they say something to the ER staff or... if the patient didn't know, how on earth should the ER staff know (or consider) that this person who appears to be male might be pregnant?  I hear the outrage from some people in the article saying that "people should use common sense".  Ooh, doggie.  

#6 SnowMan

SnowMan

Advanced Snowman

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7199 posts
  • LocationSunman, IN

Posted 16 May 2019 - 05:20 PM

It's just all fecked up. Sad that a baby died in the mess.

Clearly there were mistakes made by the medical staff. It also seems a mentally ill person had gone some time without treatment.

#7 weep er

weep er

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7468 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 05:41 PM

It's just all fecked up. Sad that a baby died in the mess.

Clearly there were mistakes made by the medical staff. It also seems a mentally ill person had gone some time without treatment.

What made them mentally ill?

I guess the part I'm confused about is this: Did the patient know they were pregnant when they went in? The story says that the patient "peed myself" when a pregnancy test came back positive but they didn't say when that occurred. If the patient knew they were pregnant why didn't they say something to the ER staff or... if the patient didn't know, how on earth should the ER staff know (or consider) that this person who appears to be male might be pregnant? I hear the outrage from some people in the article saying that "people should use common sense". Ooh, doggie.

I understood that to mean that a pregnancy test was administered in the hospital, confirming a home pregnancy test, the “peeing” happened prior which must have been water breaking /labor. Seems certain the patient revealed they had taken a home pregnancy test. I wonder if they didn’t trust the pregnancy tests since the patient was taking testosterone - not sure how long he has stopped. Maybe they can’t trust tests when someone is/was recently taking synthetic hormones?

So it's a woman who identifies as a man but got pregnant... by a man. Do I have that right?

You do. Since gender identity and sexual preference are completely unrelated.

Edited by weep er, 16 May 2019 - 05:49 PM.

#8 miccullen

miccullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 62274 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 16 May 2019 - 05:54 PM

great, we're back to calling transgenders nutcases again

#9 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 27018 posts
  • LocationKC - Kansas side

Posted 16 May 2019 - 06:06 PM

We need an outrage flow chart.  MS paint would be nice

#10 Kremer

Kremer

Comptroller of MS Paint Diagrams and other vague unspecified stu

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8412 posts
  • Location38.362783, -85.311367 (Louisville, KY area)

Posted 16 May 2019 - 06:09 PM

If i ever find my way to an ER someone will be very injured if I’m asked to take a pregnancy test.

#11 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7929 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 16 May 2019 - 06:13 PM

So he wants to be treated as a man up until he doesn't.

#12 ER Pemberton

ER Pemberton

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32415 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 06:19 PM

I think that the irony is that people expect everyone to adjust to these things immediately and do it all gracefully.  Times change and there has been progress made on this topic and there will be more progress made.  But to expect people in the ER to "put gender aside" and assume or consider that a person who looks like a male might be pregnant is asking a bit much, IMO.  We're still a little early in the game for that.  

#13 JKor

JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41231 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 16 May 2019 - 06:32 PM

Page 3...it was a woman.

#14 Vagus

Vagus

Just had an organism

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38913 posts
  • LocationThere

Posted 16 May 2019 - 06:32 PM

Was

#15 JKor

JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41231 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 16 May 2019 - 06:33 PM

Words

#16 weep er

weep er

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7468 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 06:40 PM

The article is vague, but it’s implied that the patient took a home pregnancy test, which he revealed to the nurse in order for her to order a hospital pregnancy test. He didn’t take a home pregnancy test for the hell of it, he was clearly ####ing dudes. Again, he’s just a trans man who happens to be gay/bi. No implication here that he was pregnant on purpose/planned.

I’m not sure that the nurse was doing anything wrong , maybe just not fully educated on the fact that a transgender man may still have female organs. I think that’s all this article is saying. Just my take.

I think that the irony is that people expect everyone to adjust to these things immediately and do it all gracefully. Times change and there has been progress made on this topic and there will be more progress made. But to expect people in the ER to "put gender aside" and assume or consider that a person who looks like a male might be pregnant is asking a bit much, IMO. We're still a little early in the game for that.

I think the staff/nurse ignored the results of a pregnancy tests.

Honestly, the article is vague on purpose. Written by someone (I feel) that wants to bring something important to light - all medical staff will need more training on this topic.

If i ever find my way to an ER someone will be very injured if I’m asked to take a pregnancy test.

Peeing on the stick is fun. It’s like a game!

Edited by weep er, 16 May 2019 - 06:39 PM.

#17 weep er

weep er

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7468 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 06:44 PM

great, we're back to calling transgenders nutcases again

Makes me glad that my son was born into my family, and not to some ignorant ####. This is why the trans community has a 40% suicide rate. I hope I live to see that number come way down because people start to understand and stop treating these human beings like they’re psychotic.

#18 SnowMan

SnowMan

Advanced Snowman

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7199 posts
  • LocationSunman, IN

Posted 16 May 2019 - 07:17 PM

What made them mentally ill?

The fact that they are a woman, wanting to be a man, banging dudes and ending up pregnant? Either intentionally or unintentionally not recognizing they were pregnant?  I mean... the vast majority of women pretty well understand when they are pregnant from what I've seen in the world.  Unknown pregnancies happen for sure, but they are exceedingly rare.... ( I looked... it's estimated at 1 in 7,000 on the high side) 

You stack up all of the conditions going on in this situation and you're way beyond the extremes in the population.  5 nines pretty easily... 1/160,000,000 females in this country had this happen?  Give or take?  Double it, triple it. Multiply it by 10 and you still have an extreme outlier.  How else do you describe that outlier? It's surely not "normal" by any measuring stick unless you are counting a pulse and respiration.

I understand your Son is trans and thus this is personal to you.  If my son decides he's trans I would support him to the best of my ability, but the simple fact is that it's an extreme outlier. 

#19 Ford Maddox

Ford Maddox

Comptroller of King Richard V

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31567 posts
  • LocationThe Galaxy

Posted 16 May 2019 - 07:25 PM

So Victor, Victoria +1

Weird

#20 ER Pemberton

ER Pemberton

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32415 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 07:34 PM

The fact that they are a woman, wanting to be a man, banging dudes and ending up pregnant? Either intentionally or unintentionally not recognizing they were pregnant?  I mean... the vast majority of women pretty well understand when they are pregnant from what I've seen in the world.  Unknown pregnancies happen for sure, but they are exceedingly rare.... ( I looked... it's estimated at 1 in 7,000 on the high side) 

You stack up all of the conditions going on in this situation and you're way beyond the extremes in the population.  5 nines pretty easily... 1/160,000,000 females in this country had this happen?  Give or take?  Double it, triple it. Multiply it by 10 and you still have an extreme outlier.  How else do you describe that outlier? It's surely not "normal" by any measuring stick unless you are counting a pulse and respiration.

I understand your Son is trans and thus this is personal to you.  If my son decides he's trans I would support him to the best of my ability, but the simple fact is that it's an extreme outlier. 

The story is weird, no question.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users