#21 Trub L

Trub L

Hooked on a Feelin

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 112411 posts
  • LocationIn the Middle

Posted 17 May 2019 - 04:11 PM

I'm curious to hear how these small ones work.

#22 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 39396 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 22 May 2019 - 07:43 PM

Mine came today. Easy to set up. It’s been running for a about three hours. Just checked the haul. A few dozen already. Also, mine came with two extra bulbs.

#23 ER Pemberton

ER Pemberton

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35776 posts

Posted 22 May 2019 - 08:54 PM

Mine came today. Easy to set up. It’s been running for a about three hours. Just checked the haul. A few dozen already. Also, mine came with two extra bulbs.

I set mine up yesterday.  It was cool here but then warmer today but... also very windy and I don't think the trap stands a chance in the wind or else the bugs aren't out in the wind.  My wife just informed me that she doesn't want to see it.  I put it on the small fence that hides the pool equipment so I guess I need to put it on the other side.  <_<

#24 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12726 posts

Posted 22 May 2019 - 08:56 PM

We wont have mosquitos here for at least a few weeks yet.

#25 Vagus

Vagus

Just had an organism

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43535 posts
  • LocationThere

Posted 23 May 2019 - 03:02 AM

I set mine up yesterday. It was cool here but then warmer today but... also very windy and I don't think the trap stands a chance in the wind or else the bugs aren't out in the wind. My wife just informed me that she doesn't want to see it. I put it on the small fence that hides the pool equipment so I guess I need to put it on the other side. <_<

Bro, hide your crap.

#26 Trub L

Trub L

Hooked on a Feelin

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 112411 posts
  • LocationIn the Middle

Posted 23 May 2019 - 03:54 AM

I set mine up yesterday. It was cool here but then warmer today but... also very windy and I don't think the trap stands a chance in the wind or else the bugs aren't out in the wind. My wife just informed me that she doesn't want to see it. I put it on the small fence that hides the pool equipment so I guess I need to put it on the other side. <_<

I just built such a fence last weekend.

#27 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 39396 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 23 May 2019 - 04:40 AM

Bro, hide your crap.

Poop tube’d

#28 Patrick C.

Patrick C.

Comproller of Toilet Tank Vodka

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6192 posts
  • LocationAcworth GA

Posted 23 May 2019 - 07:34 AM

I'd like to try one of these but not sure where I'd put it.  Don't really want an orange extension cord laying across the back yard, so I'd have to hang it off the house somewhere.

#29 Trub L

Trub L

Hooked on a Feelin

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 112411 posts
  • LocationIn the Middle

Posted 23 May 2019 - 07:40 AM

I'd like to try one of these but not sure where I'd put it. Don't really want an orange extension cord laying across the back yard, so I'd have to hang it off the house somewhere.

Put it in the yard for a month, and if you like it, just spade in a piece of electrical conduit and wire it through there. It's like a $50 project.

#30 Stains_not_here_man

Stains_not_here_man

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 84486 posts

Posted 23 May 2019 - 08:03 AM

Put it in the yard for a month, and if you like it, just spade in a piece of electrical conduit and wire it through there. It's like a $50 project.

+1, I actually am considering doing this next month, for this very application.

#31 ER Pemberton

ER Pemberton

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35776 posts

Posted 23 May 2019 - 08:11 AM

I'd like to try one of these but not sure where I'd put it.  Don't really want an orange extension cord laying across the back yard, so I'd have to hang it off the house somewhere.

I was mildly concerned about all of the variables.  It needs to be placed properly to work properly but then there is the electric.  I could have hung it off the house and discreetly hid the cord but now that my wife thinks it's futzing with the asthetics that's not really an option.  I did hide the trap this morning but now I'm questioning the location because if its hidden I assume the UV light is not working at full capacity.  I don't think my wife fully understands that the point of this thing is to allow us to be outside without bugs.  Also, I checked the trap this morning and there were maybe 10-20 bugs in there including mosquitoes and moths.  If a couple weeks go by and it doesn't seem to be effective, I'll reevaluate.  

I just built such a fence last weekend.

I put this fence up in 2007 or 2008 and it was a bit of a sphincter-shrinker.  I took pics of the underground gas line and pool hoses ahead of time but when I started up with the post hole digger I was truly concerned.  It went as planned and that fence has some ivy growing on it now and looks decent but I really don't want to do any more digging in that area. 

#32 Trub L

Trub L

Hooked on a Feelin

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 112411 posts
  • LocationIn the Middle

Posted 23 May 2019 - 08:18 AM

Yeah, our ground work is a nightmare. I had to dig 18 footings for the decking and like 10 of them had something I needed to look out for. 3 out of 4 for the blind hit underground plumbing and I had to shift them.

That's why I had to dig everything by hand and couldn't use an auger.

#33 ER Pemberton

ER Pemberton

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35776 posts

Posted 23 May 2019 - 08:26 AM

Yeah, our ground work is a nightmare. I had to dig 18 footings for the decking and like 10 of them had something I needed to look out for. 3 out of 4 for the blind hit underground plumbing and I had to shift them.

That's why I had to dig everything by hand and couldn't use an auger.

For most things it's not an issue because I think this stuff is like 18" deep but for a fence post you need some depth.  I took a lot of pictures like this:

P1010519.jpg

P1010545.jpg

#34 BFB

BFB

Wind Whisperer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9710 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 23 May 2019 - 08:58 PM

For most things it's not an issue because I think this stuff is like 18" deep but for a fence post you need some depth.  I took a lot of pictures like this:

P1010519.jpg

P1010545.jpg

That dude looks like he has cold hands.

#35 ER Pemberton

ER Pemberton

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35776 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 09:23 AM

That dude looks like he has cold hands.

That was late November in Chicago so... yeah. 

I just went and checked the Dynatrap and there is a decent collection of moths and skeeters in there.  Some are still alive wanting to know about the next bus out and others are dead and laying in a pile.  We haven't hit peak mosquito season yet and I'm still keeping an open mind about the proper placement of this thing but I'm encouraged.  

#36 ER Pemberton

ER Pemberton

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35776 posts

Posted 29 May 2019 - 10:14 AM

So it's been out there for about a week. I checked it this morning and there is a decent-sized pile of bugs laying in the center of the lower section... maybe about the size of a golfball. One question I have is... when do you open the bottom to toss the dead bugs? It seems like there are always some bugs in there that are still alive.  I can't tell yet if this will make it possible to hang out in the backyard when the bugs are out because the weather refuses to cooperate.  But I do like the strategy of killing whatever mosquitoes you can whenever you can so that you might be able to disrupt their life cycle.  Dead bugs can't reproduce and yes, I'm putting that on a t-shirt.  :D

#37 dagomike

dagomike

Comptroller of CrapPapples

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12323 posts

Posted 01 June 2019 - 07:39 AM

Thoughts on using a small one in the garage for mosquitos? Getting eaten alive in the workshop.
Looking at this one:https://www.amazon.c...t/dp/B00I4R1SA2

#38 ER Pemberton

ER Pemberton

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35776 posts

Posted 01 June 2019 - 07:46 AM

Thoughts on using a small one in the garage for mosquitos? Getting eaten alive in the workshop.
Looking at this one:https://www.amazon.c...t/dp/B00I4R1SA2

For $32 I can't see how it could hurt.  

At some point I was looking closer at "mosquito behavior" because I wondered why you might walk outside and start getting attacked.  Where do they hang out when there are no people outside?  How do they know when people are around?  I found that they hang around higher in the sky and wait until they pick up CO2.  Then they get closer and closer until they find you.  So last night I was listening to the game in the greenhouse because it started getting cooler and windy.  It was nice in there.  Then it got a little stuffy so I opened the door assuming that I was going to invite the bugs in.  But about 30 minutes went by and I didn't see one bug.  I concluded it was because my CO2 wasn't getting out into the open air because I was in the greenhouse.  I would think the same would be true for your workshop but apparently not.  

#39 Trub L

Trub L

Hooked on a Feelin

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 112411 posts
  • LocationIn the Middle

Posted 01 June 2019 - 08:11 AM

I feel like the mosquitos are under control, but I got up at 5 this morning to ride down to our farmer's market, and holy hell, the gnats on the bike path are unreal. Cedar rapids area does some abatement, I think, but most of the trip I was getting hammered by dozens a second. I'm just glad I had wrap-around sunglasses.

#40 ER Pemberton

ER Pemberton

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35776 posts

Posted 01 June 2019 - 08:16 AM

This idea of leaving the trap on at all times is interesting.  I have never had one of those "bug zappers" so I don't know if those were meant to be on all the time or only when you're outside.  But to attract mosquitoes at ALL TIMES in an effort to break their life cycle seems like a winning idea.  That plus walking around to make sure I have no standing water should really help.  We had a ton of rain here again this morning.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users