54 replies to this topic

#1 ER Pemberton

ER Pemberton

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31729 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 07:16 AM

This is hard to explain but I'm checking with the PHBT to see if anyone has experienced this.  I have a bluetooth speaker (square Anker) and also a pair of Ray-Ban sunglasses that have this issue.  Instead of the surface being shiny and black it's sort of a soft, textured black... matte, if you will.  Both of these things have gotten sort of 'sticky' and if you try to clean them off, (microfiber cloth), the fibers stick to them.  WTF.  I just tried to clean off the speaker with some citrus cleaner and a cloth and it didn't help.  Has anyone seen this and know how to clean it up?  I can't be the first to notice this.  

#2 Glacies

Glacies

Comptroller of Schwanz Hate

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4638 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 07:17 AM

how did these things get sticky?

#3 ER Pemberton

ER Pemberton

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31729 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 07:20 AM

how did these things get sticky?

:lol:

Just use and time.  It's like the material broke down with use or with weather or something.  They don't look damaged but they're sticky and now fuzzy.  It's weird.  The speaker has a more "gloss" surface where the volume buttons are located and that area is fine. I also found THIS which suggests that the surface could actually be rubber.

#4 Glacies

Glacies

Comptroller of Schwanz Hate

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4638 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 07:21 AM

I don't have anything productive to say here, just wanted to seed some chaos here.

I will now let you seek your answers.

#5 the_stain

the_stain

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 73657 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 07:25 AM

I've seen this with certain things that have a sort of rubberized coating on them, where it seems like that starts to break down and get all icky.  No advice though, I haven't found a way to fix it.  I usually just end up throwing things away when it gets too nasty, and avoid buying stuff with that coating on it if I can...

#6 Ineedacatscan

Ineedacatscan

Comptroller of BAW!!!1!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3476 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 07:26 AM

I've seen this with certain things that have a sort of rubberized coating on them, where it seems like that starts to break down and get all icky. No advice though, I haven't found a way to fix it. I usually just end up throwing things away when it gets too nasty, and avoid buying stuff with that coating on it if I can...

This

I usually end up scraping the sticky layer off with a fingernail. Shortly thereafter I replace whatever it is

#7 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1705 posts
  • LocationBalmer, Merlin, Hon

Posted 15 May 2019 - 07:31 AM

Harbor freight likes doing this to items. Too many IMHO. It looks real cooool until it breaks down and then it's just sticky surfaces.

I use alcohol and a paper towel. Seems to have worked on all items so far.

#8 ER Pemberton

ER Pemberton

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31729 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 07:46 AM

Okay, glad to know that I'm not the first to see this. What's weird is that the sunglasses have barely been warn but they're already acting like this. I tried some alcohol on the speaker and it didn't really work. I guess I'll just have to live with it.

#9 pods8

pods8

Grand Duke of Near Misses

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20655 posts
  • LocationBoulder, CO

Posted 15 May 2019 - 08:01 AM

I think it’s just the compounds aging regardless of use.

#10 ER Pemberton

ER Pemberton

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31729 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 08:03 AM

The speaker...

zz-speaker2.jpg

It's just gross. It's sticky and dusty and it seems like there is no way to clean it. The alcohol & the citrus cleaner did not do it.

#11 Vagus

Vagus

Just had an organism

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38332 posts
  • LocationThere

Posted 15 May 2019 - 08:08 AM

I use alcohol.

#12 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14246 posts
  • LocationPalmer, MA

Posted 15 May 2019 - 08:12 AM

The speaker...

zz-speaker2.jpg

It's just gross. It's sticky and dusty and it seems like there is no way to clean it. The alcohol & the citrus cleaner did not do it.

A white switch next to an ivory GFCI with an ivory cover .. YOU MONSTER!!!   :P

#13 Vagus

Vagus

Just had an organism

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38332 posts
  • LocationThere

Posted 15 May 2019 - 08:14 AM

The guy actually has a banana tree.

#14 Grawlix

Grawlix

Comptroller of King Richard V

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30449 posts
  • LocationThe Galaxy

Posted 15 May 2019 - 08:46 AM

Over time the natural oils from you skin will turn matte black items shiny and smooth... Example cable/sat/tv remote controls are pretty fvcking gross... Thats why when I go into customer homes I’ll bring my own... Clorox wipes are the best cleaning method

#15 AspenLeif

AspenLeif

Comptroller of Gingerliness

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18611 posts
  • LocationAspen, CO

Posted 15 May 2019 - 08:51 AM

I've seen this with certain things that have a sort of rubberized coating on them,

Usually it's a polypropylene coating that they put a rubberizer in that blooms to the surface.  Or, at least that's what it was 15-18 years ago, when I was in the plastic industry.  

I think it’s just the compounds aging regardless of use.

Yep.  

#16 ER Pemberton

ER Pemberton

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31729 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 08:58 AM

That was an emergency fix. The switch broke and the garbage disposal was stuck ON. :covreyes: I flipped the breaker and looked to see if I had a switch that fit and I did... but it didn't match. Miraculously, my wife didn't complain.

#17 ER Pemberton

ER Pemberton

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31729 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 09:18 AM

Things I have learned:  Citrus cleaner doesn't work and neither does alcohol.  A Mr. Clean Magic Eraser thing just shreds the second it comes in contact with the speaker and Goo Gone doesn't work either.  Oh and now the speaker has so much lint on it that it looks like sasquatch.  :lol:

#18 Vagus

Vagus

Just had an organism

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38332 posts
  • LocationThere

Posted 15 May 2019 - 09:19 AM

Things I have learned:  Citrus cleaner doesn't work and neither does alcohol.  A Mr. Clean Magic Eraser thing just shreds the second it comes in contact with the speaker and Goo Gone doesn't work either.  Oh and now the speaker has so much lint on it that it looks like sasquatch.  :lol:

You're not using the alcohol correctly.

But i'd try some oil-based cleaner.  If soap isn't working. If you ain't bathing. PertMINUS son.

#19 ER Pemberton

ER Pemberton

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31729 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 09:29 AM

In case you guys hadn't already concluded that I was mildly unstable... hear this:  I took a piece of tape and covered the strip of controls (volume, etc) and another and covered the power switch and the charging port and then I covered the top of the speaker (which is in good shape) and I took some hammered, black spray paint to it.  :lol:

@Vagus:  Alcohol and hammered in the same thread.  :D

#20 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7790 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 15 May 2019 - 09:32 AM

Use some fingernail polish remover.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users