26 replies to this topic

#1 ER Pemberton

ER Pemberton

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31729 posts

Posted 14 May 2019 - 07:38 AM

Anyone watch any of this?  I watched the Bangkok, Osaka and Dehli episodes.  Interesting information about food interwoven with personal stories, struggles, etc.  About 30 minutes per episode.  

#2 TxBrewer

TxBrewer

CrAp Czar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18351 posts

Posted 14 May 2019 - 07:51 AM

I have watched a few episodes, pretty good

#3 ER Pemberton

ER Pemberton

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31729 posts

Posted 14 May 2019 - 07:59 AM

I have watched a few episodes, pretty good

That crabmeat omelette that the woman in Bangkok was cooking... Ho.  Lee.  Snot.  That looked awesome.  

#4 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

Comptroller of le Shartes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14422 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 14 May 2019 - 08:11 AM

Love it. 4 episodes in. 

#5 the_stain

the_stain

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 73658 posts

Posted 14 May 2019 - 08:14 AM

Will check this out. Thanks for the recommendation.

#6 TxBrewer

TxBrewer

CrAp Czar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18351 posts

Posted 14 May 2019 - 10:32 AM

That crabmeat omelette that the woman in Bangkok was cooking... Ho.  Lee.  Snot.  That looked awesome.  

No kidding, that looked like it was worth the trip.

#7 Car ChuckRam

Car ChuckRam

Rami!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7805 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 03:37 AM

Some years ago, I was the Bosun on a government ship named the USNS 1st LT. Harry L. Martin. We went to Cobra Gold in Sattahip, Thailand for 6 weeks. Second night there, me and the radio operator are drinking beers outside the Thailand version of a sari store, and the owner lady comes in with two whole octopuses. She cuts them up, and is grilling them on a little wood fired flat top on the sidewalk. I ask if we can buy some for our supper. She asks how spicy we like it. I say I want mine #3. The radio operator calls me a ninny. I say fine, #5.

It was grilled Octopus, noodles, bits of scrambled egg, vegetables, and Thai chili peppers. So much chili peppers. It was so good, that I stopped at half, so I could have some the next morning for breakfast on the ship.

Three o’clock in the morning, I go from sound asleep in the bunk, to UH OH! Wide awake, and running/hobbling whilst trying to yank down my chonies, for the Terlet. I barely made it. Only time I’ve ever been sitting on the throne wishing I owned a Snoopy Sno-Cone Machine.

Later at breakfast, I shared the leftovers with my shipmates. That evening, and for the rest of our stay in Thailand, that sari store became the homebase for the whole crew. Beers, and supper every night for at least 30 people. You never seen such a look of pride on a woman’s face.

#8 Zsasz

Zsasz

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38062 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 15 May 2019 - 03:52 AM

So did the shits only happen after the first time? What's the deal with that? Too spicy for you?

#9 Car ChuckRam

Car ChuckRam

Rami!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7805 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 04:28 AM

So did the shits only happen after the first time? What's the deal with that? Too spicy for you?

Here is the thing about food on a ship. You can’t please everybody, so you please nobody. The Senior menu oatmeal and fruit cup special at Denny’s is spicier than anything I’ll eat on a ship. You hit the dock, and anything you eat ashore will loosen you up the first go around. And no, just about nothing is too spicy for me. My wife is from Sichuan Province China. Everything I eat at home will melt the o-ring out of a civilian.

#10 ER Pemberton

ER Pemberton

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31729 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 06:03 AM

I watched Taiwan and Korea last night.  The guy making the goat stew in the smoky room that resembled hell (with a gas mask on!) and the woman & family making the fish head stew.  Damn.  Some of this stuff looks so unbelievably good.  The woman with the knife-cut noodles and dumplings... that was awesome too.  She had to work at the food market to get her family out of debt.  I also like the stories attached and the fact that many people in these areas live in a place with no kitchen so street food has a very important purpose... people might get all their meals at street stalls.  These people get up at midnight or maybe 3-4 AM and go to the market to get the best & freshest ingredients and in most cases it's a family thing.  I liked the guy in Dehli with the Chaat stand and how he reassembled his family to come and work there and now people wait hours in line to get it.  Great stuff.

#11 Gusso

Gusso

Secretary of In and Out

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16411 posts
  • LocationThe Holy City

Posted 15 May 2019 - 12:33 PM

I plan on going to Goa, India next year. Street food looks awesome there.

#12 Zsasz

Zsasz

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38062 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 15 May 2019 - 01:11 PM

Here is the thing about food on a ship. You can’t please everybody, so you please nobody. The Senior menu oatmeal and fruit cup special at Denny’s is spicier than anything I’ll eat on a ship. You hit the dock, and anything you eat ashore will loosen you up the first go around. And no, just about nothing is too spicy for me. My wife is from Sichuan Province China. Everything I eat at home will melt the o-ring out of a civilian.

It's interesting that the human body needs to readjust like that. I kind of figured you ate spicy stuff but I was just checking if this was above and beyond what you were used to in general.

#13 Car ChuckRam

Car ChuckRam

Rami!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7805 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 08:26 PM

I watched Taiwan and Korea last night.  The guy making the goat stew in the smoky room that resembled hell (with a gas mask on!) and the woman & family making the fish head stew.  Damn.  Some of this stuff looks so unbelievably good.  The woman with the knife-cut noodles and dumplings... that was awesome too.  She had to work at the food market to get her family out of debt.  I also like the stories attached and the fact that many people in these areas live in a place with no kitchen so street food has a very important purpose... people might get all their meals at street stalls.  These people get up at midnight or maybe 3-4 AM and go to the market to get the best & freshest ingredients and in most cases it's a family thing.  I liked the guy in Dehli with the Chaat stand and how he reassembled his family to come and work there and now people wait hours in line to get it.  Great stuff.

In Shanghai, we live on Kangjiang Rd., a block from the Everbright Convention Center on Caobao Rd. The cross street is Xiqin Rd. The whole street is breakfast food stalls. Open from 6am to 9am., and every single one is slammed from open to close. Food from every region in China, because many people in Shanghai aren’t from there.

#14 Grawlix

Grawlix

Comptroller of King Richard V

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30449 posts
  • LocationThe Galaxy

Posted 15 May 2019 - 08:49 PM

In Shanghai, we live on Kangjiang Rd., a block from the Everbright Convention Center on Caobao Rd. The cross street is Xiqin Rd. The whole street is breakfast food stalls. Open from 6am to 9am., and every single one is slammed from open to close. Food from every region in China, because many people in Shanghai aren’t from there.

Is Sichuan your favorite region for Chinese food? I’m a toss up between Sichuan and Cantonese(just because Cantonese was the Chinese food of my childhood)

#15 Car ChuckRam

Car ChuckRam

Rami!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7805 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 09:36 PM

Is Sichuan your favorite region for Chinese food? I’m a toss up between Sichuan and Cantonese(just because Cantonese was the Chinese food of my childhood)

It’s the region I’m most familiar with. So, yes. Most Chinese food in China is based on a dare. What you eat in America is not even close.

#16 Grawlix

Grawlix

Comptroller of King Richard V

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30449 posts
  • LocationThe Galaxy

Posted 15 May 2019 - 09:44 PM

It’s the region I’m most familiar with. So, yes. Most Chinese food in China is based on a dare. What you eat in America is not even close.

Of course... As a kid we’d go to Chinatown in LA 1/2 x per month... Cantonese was the most prevalent(and most like Chinese American) but dim sum was our destination... Golden Dragon... I ate chicken feet at age 16, so proud... I really didn’t get into spicy food till 17-18 years old.

I totally get that “Chinese food” in the states and Chinese food in China are different animals, but I’d of eaten everything you posted from your last CNY trip... I’d totally eat that pig face

Edited by Blackula, 15 May 2019 - 09:44 PM.

#17 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14422 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 16 May 2019 - 07:27 AM

The lady that wears the goggles is absolutely amazing. A little research and we found out she won a Michelin Star. Incredible coming from her background and life struggles. 

#18 ER Pemberton

ER Pemberton

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31729 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 07:34 AM

The lady that wears the goggles is absolutely amazing. A little research and we found out she won a Michelin Star. Incredible coming from her background and life struggles. 

Yeah, she was the one who was making the crabmeat omelette in Bangkok.  I think they mentioned in the episode that she went somewhere and they presented her with a Michelin award.  Last night I watched Vietnam and Singapore.  In Vietnam they made "mud creepers" (snails).  I find myself dreaming about these dishes while I'm sleeping.  :D

#19 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34339 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 16 May 2019 - 08:41 AM

They showed her receiving it in the episode

#20 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14422 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 16 May 2019 - 12:35 PM

They showed her receiving it in the episode

That's right. Id forgotten. She is nothing short of a badass. Cooking over real hardwood with oil at 72 yrs + of age. People would go not only to eat her food but to have a chance at watching her cook! 

Edited by BlKtRe, 16 May 2019 - 12:35 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users