#1 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30497 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 07 May 2019 - 07:06 PM

So far really excellent. First episode did a great job of portraying the denial of the Soviet apparatus. Added bonus is that everything is technically correct based on what I know about the accident.

Recommended.

#2 SnowMan

SnowMan

Advanced Snowman

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7007 posts
  • LocationSunman, IN

Posted 07 May 2019 - 07:08 PM

Kinda wish I had HBO so I could watch. But not enough to pay.

#3 Gusso

Gusso

Secretary of In and Out

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16411 posts
  • LocationThe Holy City

Posted 07 May 2019 - 07:17 PM

Very good so far.

#4 idajack

idajack

Werecomptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3671 posts

Posted 07 May 2019 - 07:42 PM

Interesting, once the kid is out of high school I will be able to travel more and I’ve got a tour of Pripyat on my list of places to go.
You were in navy nukes weren’t you? Interested to hear your take.
I’ve visited the INEEL a couple times as much as you can.
There’s an interesting book called Idaho Falls about america’s first nuclear accident too.

#5 miccullen

miccullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 61920 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 07 May 2019 - 09:22 PM

I knew with zero doubt, that you would be the one to start this thread George :D

When the guy went and looked directly into the exposed core I shivered a little.

#6 Kellermeister

Kellermeister

Comptroller of Grievances

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4932 posts
  • Locationthese are not the droids you are looking for

Posted 08 May 2019 - 03:25 AM

#7 Julius H Gardetto

Julius H Gardetto

Comptroller of Delusional Berkley Hippie Types

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21639 posts

Posted 08 May 2019 - 03:48 AM

I started learning about this accident when I saw the preview. Crazy stuff, but I was kinda surprised more people didn’t die.

#8 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9281 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 08 May 2019 - 03:51 AM

So far really excellent. First episode did a great job of portraying the denial of the Soviet apparatus. Added bonus is that everything is technically correct based on what I know about the accident.

Recommended.

I can't imagine the hell on Earth those firefighters/first responders endured.  I recall reading they responded in basically street clothes; no PPE, no respirators, nothing.

#9 DownEastBrewer

DownEastBrewer

Comptroller of Being an Ass Hats

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2263 posts
  • LocationUpper Righthand Corner, USA

Posted 08 May 2019 - 04:41 AM

George have you seen Manhattan, on WGN?  Great 2-season show on the development of Los Alamos/nuclear bomb during WWII.

#10 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30497 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 08 May 2019 - 05:12 AM

The boss in major denial was very well done.  He just kept ignoring what the instruments told him and what the people were telling him, going on about getting water on the core when there's no core there.  (If you watch that, they're not talking about getting water there to put out the fire - they're denying the fire exists.  They want water to cool the core and prevent meltdown.)  Then at the town meeting somebody says the air is glowing and he says "Chernekov radiation.  Perfectly normal."  Then a few minutes later he stands up and pukes.  Very well done.  It did a fantastic job of portraying the "Shut up and Soviet" mind of then and there.

Actually, every major reactor incident I can think of other than Fukishima was caused, or turned major, by people ignoring their instrumentation.

Technically, it's matching what I know.  Cracked some water into H2 and O2, which exploded the top off the reactor vessel.  Then the carbon moderator caught on fire and started spreading contamination all over Europe.  Meanwhile the people in the plant are getting doses in the hundreds of REM per hour.  I was explaining to Bell that it was essentially like standing inside the beam of an energy weapon for a few hours.

The design of those reactors was sheer madness anyway, IMO.  Graphite as moderator instead of water?  Crazy.  Positive temperature coefficient of reactivity?  Beyond belief.

#11 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14246 posts
  • LocationPalmer, MA

Posted 08 May 2019 - 05:19 AM

How long is this series?  I may have to sign up for a short term of HBO to see this.  Sounds very interesting.

#12 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30497 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 08 May 2019 - 05:21 AM

Looks like it's only three episodes.  Can you buy them individually?

#13 Mexas Joe

Mexas Joe

Obama Thanker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19872 posts
  • LocationIt's OK to be White

Posted 08 May 2019 - 06:08 AM

I can remember watching Peter Jennings @ABC give this breaking news. 

He was like the last reporter with any integrity. 

#14 shaggaroo

shaggaroo

Comptroller of Hot Flashes

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1736 posts
  • LocationMiddle of Nowhere, NY

Posted 08 May 2019 - 06:18 AM

Looks like it's only three episodes.  Can you buy them individually?

for some reason I thought it was six  :scratch: ok, shows five episodes on IMDB. And it is very well done so far.

Edited by shaggaroo, 08 May 2019 - 06:21 AM.

#15 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30497 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 08 May 2019 - 06:23 AM

for some reason I thought it was six  :scratch: ok, shows five episodes on IMDB. And it is very well done so far.

WTF?  That page showed three episodes when I made that post, and now there's five.

#16 ER Pemberton

ER Pemberton

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31729 posts

Posted 08 May 2019 - 07:00 AM

I saw a commercial for this and plan to watch it.

Did anyone notice that in OUR PLANET there was a segment about Chernobyl and how humans have been kept out of it for 20+ years and so... animals have come back and thrived.  Plants, shrubs, trees, etc. have thrived and there are deer, coyotes, birds, etc. all living there (in good health, apparently) and digging the fact that they have this spot with NO humanoids in it.  Pretty fascinating.  

#17 miccullen

miccullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 61920 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 08 May 2019 - 07:10 AM

The boss in major denial was very well done.  He just kept ignoring what the instruments told him and what the people were telling him, going on about getting water on the core when there's no core there.  (If you watch that, they're not talking about getting water there to put out the fire - they're denying the fire exists.  They want water to cool the core and prevent meltdown.)  Then at the town meeting somebody says the air is glowing and he says "Chernekov radiation.  Perfectly normal."  Then a few minutes later he stands up and pukes.  Very well done.  It did a fantastic job of portraying the "Shut up and Soviet" mind of then and there.

Actually, every major reactor incident I can think of other than Fukishima was caused, or turned major, by people ignoring their instrumentation.

Technically, it's matching what I know.  Cracked some water into H2 and O2, which exploded the top off the reactor vessel.  Then the carbon moderator caught on fire and started spreading contamination all over Europe.  Meanwhile the people in the plant are getting doses in the hundreds of REM per hour.  I was explaining to Bell that it was essentially like standing inside the beam of an energy weapon for a few hours.

The design of those reactors was sheer madness anyway, IMO.  Graphite as moderator instead of water?  Crazy.  Positive temperature coefficient of reactivity?  Beyond belief.

there are quite a few of them still operating in the former USSR

#18 bdutton

bdutton

Comptroller of Gifts

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6507 posts
  • LocationLooking over your shoulder, judging you.

Posted 08 May 2019 - 07:17 AM

I just stumbled across it last night and recorded it.  It was very good.  My wife was in Russia at the time of the accident on a school field trip.  They didn't know anything about it until they returned home to the then Czechoslovakia a few days later.    

#19 TonyBrown

TonyBrown

Comptroller of C-Blocking and Wet Streak Marks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 57319 posts
  • LocationAntioch, IL

Posted 08 May 2019 - 07:21 AM

I saw a documentary about some guys that rode their motorcycles into the quarantined zone with the permission of the russia govt, probably about 15yrs ago, fair amount of film and photos, its really quite spooky to see.....  HBO also did a documentary about it called Chernobyl Heart about the people and fallout and its effects on the locals....

#20 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14246 posts
  • LocationPalmer, MA

Posted 08 May 2019 - 07:45 AM

I saw a documentary about some guys that rode their motorcycles into the quarantined zone with the permission of the russia govt, probably about 15yrs ago, fair amount of film and photos, its really quite spooky to see.....  HBO also did a documentary about it called Chernobyl Heart about the people and fallout and its effects on the locals....

I saw that motorcycle one or parts of it.  For some reason I find it fascinating.

https://theplanetd.c...nobyl-pictures/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users