#1 Gumbo Leviathan

Gumbo Leviathan

Nutritional Anthropologist

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24008 posts
  • LocationLocation Location

Posted 16 April 2019 - 04:06 PM

So for the past two years I had been working an acquisition/concept refinement sort of thing.  The government gave my team, and a team from another company a "study" contract to design a new system.  Then we were to write a proposal and they would choose which contractor to go with based on the combined proposal and study results.  

Well, we were recently informed that we were not selected as the winner.  This sucked because we worked for two years on this thing and now we are done.  But that's the game we play and we don't win them all.  I was seriously bummed because the project was damn cool, and I would have loved to see it through.  

Anyway, in a mad scramble to find people on the teams new jobs, the managers in charge were supremely lazy and just threw us on any old project.  A handful of us already had accesses to a certain other project in the building and without bothering to check to see if that would be a good fit for us, they just said "go work that".  OK fine... So I go work that project.  And in the very first hour I was there I realized I wanted absolutely nothing to do with this.  

I happen to know that there is another project in the building that needs people.  However nobody from my project was cleared to work that one.  That said, I happened to contact one of the hiring managers at that project and said "hey... got anything for me?"  The answer was a resounding yes. The trouble with that is that the hiring manager I contacted was my wife (if it isn't obvious we work at the same company in separate areas).  And the work they need help with is the kind of work she has control of from a management perspective.  

Anyway... So knowing my wife can't hire me for obvious reasons we go to her manager and he says of course he wants to hire me and gives me a choice of two jobs.

One job is "close" to what my wife has control of but not exactly the same thing.  But we would end up working together more often than not.  The other job is a bit farther away from what she does, but is not AS good a fit for what I am currently good at but is related to stuff I have done in the past.  

So I have a strange choice to make.

Job 1: 

Pro:

* It's what I am good at.  

* I would be able to stay at a relatively comfortable workload and likely keep myself to 40-45 hours.  

* Low amount of travel

Con:

* It's very close to my wife's area and we would have to work together on some things.  That's not really something we are good at (we worked together in the past and it was not a great situation)

* Low exposure to the customer

* It's not THAT interesting work

Job 2: 

Pro:

* It's kinda interesting stuff

* It's farther from my wife's area so we would end up with only minimal direct interaction

* Lots of customer visibility

Con:

* I only have limited experience doing this type of job.  It's not NO experience, but I am certainly not 100% awesome at this (yet... I would learn reasonably quickly).

* Much more travel

* Likely more hours than I really care to put in

Both jobs come with a promotion and raise (pay would be the same for both)

I am leaning towards job 2, but that would be a big risky gamble as I am less experienced with that stuff and I would be expected to be the expert pretty quickly.  But I like the idea of the greater visibility.  And I think I am willing to accept the added hours and travel.  But that said there is something to being comfortable too and Job 1 would be comfortable.

#2 dondewey

dondewey

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1270 posts
  • LocationVA

Posted 16 April 2019 - 04:11 PM

Take job 1, undermine your wife, and become her boss.

#3 Vagus

Vagus

Just had an organism

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38637 posts
  • LocationThere

Posted 16 April 2019 - 04:15 PM

Job 2

#4 the_stain

the_stain

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 74379 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 04:15 PM

Job 2. Unless you can put working closely with your wife as a "pro" I wouldn't do it.

#5 Gumbo Leviathan

Gumbo Leviathan

Nutritional Anthropologist

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24008 posts
  • LocationLocation Location

Posted 16 April 2019 - 04:19 PM

Job 2. Unless you can put working closely with your wife as a "pro" I wouldn't do it.

Yea it wouldn't be a pro.  Even with Job 2 I would be in the same room she is in all day every day, but we wouldn't have much in terms of professional interaction.  

I am leaning towards Job 2 because of that, mainly, but also because it could be a really interesting challenge.

#6 VolFan

VolFan

Comptroller of teh spr0ts

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7815 posts
  • LocationEast TN

Posted 16 April 2019 - 04:27 PM

#7 Buzz Buzzard

Buzz Buzzard

Comptroller of Fanatical Political Expressionism

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9842 posts
  • LocationHere, not there.

Posted 16 April 2019 - 04:49 PM

Use the force. Search your feelings. The answer is already known to you. If you just listen.

#8 Fred Beefsteak

Fred Beefsteak

Comptroller of King Richard V

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31058 posts
  • LocationThe Galaxy

Posted 16 April 2019 - 05:12 PM

2... you’ll learn something new, and still want to talk to your wife at the end of the day

Use the force. Search your feelings. The answer is already known to you. If you just listen.

LARPer

#9 SugarTits

SugarTits

Comptroller of Nothing

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42621 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 05:14 PM

Job 2. You can step up to being the expert. If you already know working closely with your wife is a no go......there is no stepping up, it is a no go.

#10 weep er

weep er

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7391 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 06:25 PM

Take Job #1, I’ll come in and intern for 3 weeks, threaten to quit unless your wife gets kicked off the project.

Done, just got you all pros.

#11 Fred Beefsteak

Fred Beefsteak

Comptroller of King Richard V

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31058 posts
  • LocationThe Galaxy

Posted 16 April 2019 - 06:29 PM

Take Job #1, I’ll come in and intern for 3 weeks, threaten to quit unless your wife gets kicked off the project.

Done, just got you all pros.

Why you got to triangle his deal? ;)

Edited by StankMalMischief, 16 April 2019 - 06:30 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users