Photo
- - - - -

Good ALL ABOUT BEER article on Czech Pilsners...

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 13 April 2019 - 11:46 AM

I’d rather clearly state abv and avoid the session silliness

Every beer I drink is a session beer. The session just isn't describing the beer abv, just the time spent drinking! Speaking of which, I think it's time for another...

#22 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49850 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 16 April 2019 - 05:29 PM

While we are at it, is there actually any science behind modern usage of decoction mashing? Is there really any color or flavor development? Is it quantifiable? Is it only with direct fire? Seems like 30 minute hops don’t do much besides waste hops to get IBUs. My experience with my recipes seems to be that anything other than bittering hops at 60 are wasteful. If you want flavor or aroma, it’s a waste of hops before the whirlpool.

#23 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 16 April 2019 - 06:07 PM

While we are at it, is there actually any science behind modern usage of decoction mashing? Is there really any color or flavor development? Is it quantifiable? Is it only with direct fire? Seems like 30 minute hops don’t do much besides waste hops to get IBUs. My experience with my recipes seems to be that anything other than bittering hops at 60 are wasteful. If you want flavor or aroma, it’s a waste of hops before the whirlpool.

Depends how delicate the beer is. On a helles I think I can appreciate an addition of late boil hops. I might agree with you on a pale ale or IPA though.

#24 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49850 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 17 April 2019 - 08:34 AM

You guys might be able to make better use of mid boil hops. On my system, the wort stays hot an extra 40 mins plus transfer time. 20 min whirlpool, 20 minutes to settle completely and then transfer through the HX.

#25 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 17 April 2019 - 09:11 AM

You guys might be able to make better use of mid boil hops. On my system, the wort stays hot an extra 40 mins plus transfer time. 20 min whirlpool, 20 minutes to settle completely and then transfer through the HX.

I normally don't add anything between start of boil and about 10 mins left so we are in the same ball park.

#26 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49850 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 17 April 2019 - 09:28 AM

Well then!
:cheers:

#27 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 11:36 AM

I normally don't add anything between start of boil and about 10 mins left so we are in the same ball park.

Agree. I really like what a 5-10 minute addition brings.

#28 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 12:22 PM

Agree. I really like what a 5-10 minute addition brings.

Me too.  I have a lot of additions between 10 and whirlpool for various recipes and I like to drop some hops in at flameout and just let them steep for 20 minutes or so as well.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users