Photo
- - - - -

Good ALL ABOUT BEER article on Czech Pilsners...

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 10 April 2019 - 07:18 PM

I ran across THIS tonight and thought it was a good read. My aim was to see if some of this talk about Czech Pilsner not having hops added later than 30 minutes left in the boil were true. I have heard this a few times now. Of course, homebrew recipes are all over the place so something like this is helpful. It's only one brewery but there is a mention of it. I find this type of authentic information very interesting especially if you were out to create your own version of a certain style.

#2 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 11 April 2019 - 04:19 AM

full on anti-drez!  2 hours!

the caramel malt is surprising as well.

#3 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 11 April 2019 - 04:25 AM

when they say: Kout’s grists contain 3% caramel in the 10 degree, 5% in the 12.

I'm assuming the percent is of the entire grist but what is 10 degree and 12 degree caramel?  did he mean lovibond value?

#4 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 05:07 AM

full on anti-drez!  2 hours!

the caramel malt is surprising as well.

Huh?? What did I do? ( ETA - I get it now the boil length!!)

This is just my thoughts on this but if you want to hear about Czech beers, that are brewed here by someone that seems to understand and love them, find what you can or listen to Chris Lohring from Notch.

I would be surprised if you did not pull a bit of information from these.

http://allaboutbeer....-notch-brewing/

https://www.goodbeer...otch-brewing-co

https://beerandbrewi...-chris-lohring/

http://beersmith.com...th-podcast-113/

Edited by HVB, 11 April 2019 - 05:08 AM.

#5 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 05:13 AM

Also - full disclosure and all - I am thinking about going back to 60 minute batches for some beers.  I will test this out once the new kettles are finished and in place.

#6 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 06:06 AM

10° plato is a 4% beer and 12° plato is a 4.8% beer.  Plato x 4 is about what the OG would be so 3% in the 4% beer, 5% in the 4.8% beer.

#7 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 06:08 AM

Also - full disclosure and all - I am thinking about going back to 60 minute batches for some beers.  I will test this out once the new kettles are finished and in place.

In many cases the 30m boil works.  In some cases it can be a little confining.  When someone says they use hops at the start of the boil and then again at 30... you're kind of screwed because that's one and the same.  That's why I used them on this latest beer of mine at FWH and 30.  I haven't done a full 60m boil in many batches and I haven't really considered it but I could see a case for it.  

#8 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 06:09 AM

10° plato is a 4% beer and 12° plato is a 4.8% beer.  Plato x 4 is about what the OG would be so 3% in the 4% beer, 5% in the 4.8% beer.

Tenner - https://www.notchbre...018/1/24/tenner

In many cases the 30m boil works.  In some cases it can be a little confining.  When someone says they use hops at the start of the boil and then again at 30... you're kind of screwed because that's one and the same.  That's why I used them on this latest beer of mine at FWH and 30.  I haven't done a full 60m boil in many batches and I haven't really considered it but I could see a case for it.  

Mine has nothing to do with hopping really.  I do not care if my beer is not stylistically right as long as I like it.  What I have noticed is my final pH is not where I feel it should be, it seems high.  I want to experiment wit the same recipe at a longer boil to see where the pH ends up.

#9 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16521 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 06:49 AM

This is just my thoughts on this but if you want to hear about Czech beers, that are brewed here by someone that seems to understand and love them, find what you can or listen to Chris Lohring from Notch.

I would be surprised if you did not pull a bit of information from these.

http://allaboutbeer....-notch-brewing/

https://www.goodbeer...otch-brewing-co

https://beerandbrewi...-chris-lohring/

http://beersmith.com...th-podcast-113/

Yeah that dude is a wealth of brewing information. Thanks for the links.

#10 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 06:52 AM

Yeah that dude is a wealth of brewing information. Thanks for the links.

I also like that most of the time he does not sugar coat his thoughts.  He just tells it as is.

#11 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 06:52 AM

Tenner - https://www.notchbre...018/1/24/tenner

Mine has nothing to do with hopping really.  I do not care if my beer is not stylistically right as long as I like it.  What I have noticed is my final pH is not where I feel it should be, it seems high.  I want to experiment wit the same recipe at a longer boil to see where the pH ends up.

I agree with you 100% but... there are times when I want to look into doing at least something to steer the beer in a stylistically-correct direction.  Something to give it that certain something and it may be malts or hops or yeast or process or whatever.  Clearly I want to "like the beer" and certainly I don't want to make it "to style" and then end up not liking it.  I also don't want to make something called "a Czech Pilsner" and it's not really a Czech Pilsner (for whatever reason).  So I guess I want all of the flexibility I can get.   

#12 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49850 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 11 April 2019 - 07:39 PM

I get that there are different strengths of Pilsner but please can we stop calling beers “session”?

#13 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 12 April 2019 - 03:51 AM

I get that there are different strengths of Pilsner but please can we stop calling beers “session”?

why does this bother so many people?  I've never really had a strong opinion on it.

#14 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 12 April 2019 - 05:53 AM

Thank you for the great article.  Alworth writes well, having received his latest book for Christmas.  I have to say that I like a little caramel in my gold type lagers, C40 to be exact.  But there is a very fine line between a subtle caramel presence and f'ing too much.

#15 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 12 April 2019 - 06:48 AM

I always thought that when I saw a Czech beer like this that it had a little more color to it... a sort of darker gold as opposed to something super-pale.  I saw something the other day suggesting that many Czech breweries are not low-oxygen and that the extra color might be coming from oxidation which is really wild to consider.  I have seen the impact of oxidation in my own beers and I see a much more pale color in beer where low-oxygen processes have been used.  I used 20% Munich 2 in this latest one and the article mentioned that Munich or Caramel malts might be used in production Czech beers which I would have never guessed.  The decoction process plus any oxidation could easily produce that color.  I guess it just shows all of us that the entire brewing world and all of its various ingredients and process options are all at our disposal... which is AWESOME.  :P

#16 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49850 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 12 April 2019 - 01:55 PM

why does this bother so many people? I've never really had a strong opinion on it.

Because it’s some stupid marketing/accounting bs

#17 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 12 April 2019 - 02:03 PM

I have always just seen it as a way to describe a lower-ABV version of a beer that might ordinarily be stronger.  I suppose that the term could confuse people and I also suppose that they could just show the ABV and be done with it but I don't necessarily have an issue with it... maybe because I understand it.  :P

#18 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 12 April 2019 - 02:05 PM

The marketing/accounting people sit around to discuss the beer they can't drink. They make is an afternoon session.  Hence the name.  Just like IPA, Session has lost any real trail.

#19 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49850 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 12 April 2019 - 05:02 PM

I’d rather clearly state abv and avoid the session silliness

#20 HVB

HVB

No Life