- - - - -

AHA Bjcp judges help!

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 *_Guest_Matt C_*

*_Guest_Matt C_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 November 2009 - 05:56 PM

Are bjcp/aha competitions held strictly to guidelines or interpretations? My dilemma is I have a "Amber german style pils" that I'm trying to enter and I am not sure where or what style it fits into. The specific lager has toasted wheat and toasted munich in the malt bill and you can taste it in the finish. The toasted characterful obviously does not belong in a german style lager and I was wondering if something like this would work against me or would it be considered ok because its original? OG 1.052srm 5.221.4 IBUsall ingredients are german including WL800 german lager yeast

#2 No Party JKor

No Party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64408 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 11 November 2009 - 06:01 PM

what's the recipe?

#3 *_Guest_Matt C_*

*_Guest_Matt C_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 November 2009 - 06:28 PM

what's the recipe?

I knew you were gonna ask that :lol: 7# pilsner (german)2# munich (german)1# wheat malt1 oz mt hood 5.2% 60 min.5 oz tett 3.2% 10 min.5 oz tett 3.2% 0 min.5 oz hallataur (however you spell it) 3.9% 0 minboth the munich and wheat where tosated in the oven at 300 degrees for 15 min and then at 350 for 5 mins.WL800 german lager yeast

#4 RommelMagic

RommelMagic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • LocationHighland Falls, NY

Posted 11 November 2009 - 06:45 PM

Uuummmm. By the numbers, my guess is 23A, 1c, 1d, or 1e. :lol:EDIT: Oh, and no, being original wouldn't matter if it does not fit the style. It might be a great beer, but a proper judge would ding it if it was not true to style.2008 BJCP Guidelines (PDF)

Edited by RommelMagic, 11 November 2009 - 06:52 PM.

#5 No Party JKor

No Party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64408 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 11 November 2009 - 06:50 PM

Sounds like Vienna Lager to me. Would you call it pale or amber? If it could reasonably be described as amber, I'd go Vienna.Disclaimer: I'm not a BJCP judge. :lol:

#6 *_Guest_Matt C_*

*_Guest_Matt C_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 November 2009 - 07:05 PM

its that toasty flavor that throws it off style though. it sucks to be original :lol:

#7 earthtone

earthtone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 11 November 2009 - 07:14 PM

its that toasty flavor that throws it off style though. it sucks to be original :lol:

only if you wanna enter a comp.....

#8 No Party JKor

No Party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64408 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 11 November 2009 - 10:54 PM

The style guidelines call out a toasty aroma and flavor.

#9 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 11 November 2009 - 11:29 PM

The style guidelines call out a toasty aroma and flavor.

Right. I think it's worth entering in Cat. 3. How well it does will depend on how toasty it is, how much the hop aroma and flavor come through and how good the judges are. Just based on the recipe you will probably get dinged for too much late addition hops and possibly the toasted grain if it ends up being nutty.

#10 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3117 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 12 November 2009 - 06:59 AM

I had a clone of Moorehouse's Black Cat. I entered it in English Mild. The FIRST reference beer IS Black Cat. I was dinged a point for being outside SRM specs. You can't win :lol:

#11 No Party JKor

No Party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64408 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 12 November 2009 - 07:15 AM

If 'toasty' is really the predominant flavor, maybe category 23 is better....or both.

#12 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 12 November 2009 - 08:22 AM

If your goal was to be original, then enter it in 23. It seems like a waste of $6 to enter it in Vienna or Octoberfest. A good judge is going to tell you what you already know, its not to style.

#13 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 12 November 2009 - 08:57 AM

I personally don't think it stands a chance in Cat 23. Cat 23 is dominated by wacky, off-the-wall, drewseslu-esque beers. Something that's just barely out of style in the other categories is going to get crucified most likely. I don't know how toasty it is but just from the recipe, I think the late addition hops are the bigger problem. If the toastiness is dominant then you'll get whacked for that too of course. But if it's subtle, you may do ok.

#14 No Party JKor

No Party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64408 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 12 November 2009 - 09:09 AM

I personally don't think it stands a chance in Cat 23. Cat 23 is dominated by wacky, off-the-wall, drewseslu-esque beers. Something that's just barely out of style in the other categories is going to get crucified most likely. I don't know how toasty it is but just from the recipe, I think the late addition hops are the bigger problem. If the toastiness is dominant then you'll get whacked for that too of course. But if it's subtle, you may do ok.

I don't have much experience in competition, but that's also my sense. An extra toasty lager in 23 is like bringing a knife to a gun fight.

#15 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 12 November 2009 - 09:24 AM

I don't have much experience in competition, but that's also my sense. An extra toasty lager in 23 is like bringing a knife to a gun fight.

More like a spatula but yeah...

#16 Howie

Howie

Feltersnatch

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14931 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 12 November 2009 - 11:30 AM

I had a clone of Moorehouse's Black Cat. I entered it in English Mild. The FIRST reference beer IS Black Cat. I was dinged a point for being outside SRM specs. You can't win :cheers:

How accurate was your clone in side by side comparisons to the original?

#17 Thirsty

Thirsty

Atomic Chef!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2157 posts
  • LocationPhippsburg Maine

Posted 12 November 2009 - 02:59 PM

I have to disagree. 23 is a catchall, not extreme beers. Many brewere make extreme beers and enter them here, but the judging is not subjective, the entries are not compared to eachother, but instead compared to the guidelines. If there is a traditional recipe, but a nontraditional ingredient or process- and the beer tastes good, then it should do well regardless of the other entries. the nontraditional factor does not need to be off the wall out of the box, it just needs to be unacceptable in its traditional style. Now if you used pilsner malt and lightly toasted it to vienna color, then I would say different, however vienna should not yield any roast flavor, so to notice it is kilned too far. I am taking the exam on saturday, FWIW if I draw cat 23 to make my recipe question, I will submit a hometoasted Vienna lager and see how it does!!

#18 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 12 November 2009 - 03:05 PM

I have to disagree. 23 is a catchall, not extreme beers. Many brewere make extreme beers and enter them here, but the judging is not subjective, the entries are not compared to eachother, but instead compared to the guidelines. If there is a traditional recipe, but a nontraditional ingredient or process- and the beer tastes good, then it should do well regardless of the other entries. the nontraditional factor does not need to be off the wall out of the box, it just needs to be unacceptable in its traditional style.

I agree but the tendency of judges is to prefer the ones that are a little far out.

Now if you used pilsner malt and lightly toasted it to vienna color, then I would say different, however vienna should not yield any roast flavor, so to notice it is kilned too far. I am taking the exam on saturday, FWIW if I draw cat 23 to make my recipe question, I will submit a hometoasted Vienna lager and see how it does!!

Good luck on the exam. Mine's not until April. :cheers: I'm not sure but I don't think Cat 23 is used on the recipe question, so I think you're safe on that one.

#19 Thirsty

Thirsty

Atomic Chef!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2157 posts
  • LocationPhippsburg Maine

Posted 12 November 2009 - 03:16 PM

Good luck on the exam. Mine's not until April. :cheers: I'm not sure but I don't think Cat 23 is used on the recipe question, so I think you're safe on that one.

Yeah, I was just screwin around, none of the specialties are suggested categories, I am really hoping to pull a style I have done over and over, but I will probably end up with a Rauchbier or Berlierweisse with my luck! <_< The one thing I forgot about preparing for was the yeast strains I know what should be used for most styles, but if they are not ones I brew often or not at all, I have to now memorize the strains. On top of the rest.

#20 Sidney Porter

Sidney Porter

Comptroller of the Banninated

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 29546 posts
  • LocationColumbus OH

Posted 12 November 2009 - 04:36 PM

You will have a tough time in 23. It is usually a popular cat so you will probably have 2 rounds if the comp is of a decent size. You will have to contend with 4 judges who could have: too small, not weird enough, or would be better placed in, complexes. You will have better chance in the one of the lager cat either a vienna, or a dortmunder depending on how it taste.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users