#1 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64096 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 11 November 2009 - 05:49 PM

First electric brew. First indoor brew since switching to AG ?? years ago. First extract brew since switching to AG.Water is heating...I should probably figure out what recipe I'm going to brew now...:lol:Ooops, forgot, will be my first time using a refractometer, as well.

Edited by JKoravos, 11 November 2009 - 05:51 PM.

#2 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 11 November 2009 - 06:01 PM

First electric brew. First indoor brew since switching to AG ?? years ago. First extract brew since switching to AG.Water is heating...I should probably figure out what recipe I'm going to brew now...:covreyes:Ooops, forgot, will be my first time using a refractometer, as well.

Wow JK sounds like a lot of great things for you tonight. I hope it all goes well and you enjoy it too. I am sure you will like using a refracto, I love it myself too. Did you get yours off of ebay? Don't forget that extract batches are best with a full wort boil :lol: :cheers:

#3 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64096 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 11 November 2009 - 06:08 PM

Yeah, $30 shipped off eBay. Oh, I got me a full wort boil. 14+ gallons, baby.This one is going to be a Mild, the yeast will be pitched up to a brown ale (with coffee) and finally to a Winter Warmer for next year.

#4 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18071 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 06:19 PM

I predict you will love both electric brewing and the refractometer. Lord knows I do.

#5 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64096 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 11 November 2009 - 06:43 PM

How long should I steep my grains for?(Brewing within arms length of the taps could be bad :lol:)

Edited by JKoravos, 11 November 2009 - 06:45 PM.

#6 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54135 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 06:48 PM

30 minutes at 150° baby! Wow, I haven't brewed with extracts since 2004! Have fun!

#7 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64096 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 11 November 2009 - 06:57 PM

30 minutes at 150° baby! Wow, I haven't brewed with extracts since 2004! Have fun!

Nice, that' exactly what I was doing. I haven't killed all my brains cells yet!

#8 MakeMeHoppy

MakeMeHoppy

Redundancy Comptroller of Redundancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10740 posts
  • LocationSlower Lower Delaware

Posted 11 November 2009 - 07:27 PM

I predict you will love both electric brewing and the refractometer. Lord knows I do.

I predict you will also love brewing inside

#9 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 04:05 AM

man - if I could have a hood and utility sink brewing in my basement would be so sweet....

#10 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18071 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 04:10 AM

Yes, this too. I love being able to brew in any weather and stay dry and still watch TV. I love garage brewing .. LOL

#11 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64096 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 12 November 2009 - 07:11 AM

Well, it took way longer than I though it would. Didn't get to bed until 2. A lot of it was the first time using the system, I was still putting things together while I was boiling, which didn't allow me to start cleaning until well into the boil (what, you can't do 2 hours of work during a 1 hour boil? :lol:). I really need to get a sink in the basement. Running up stairs to get water, outside to dump water and pulling the hose through the window made for way too much exercise.

#12 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18071 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 07:23 AM

Well, it took way longer than I though it would. Didn't get to bed until 2. A lot of it was the first time using the system, I was still putting things together while I was boiling, which didn't allow me to start cleaning until well into the boil (what, you can't do 2 hours of work during a 1 hour boil? :lol:). I really need to get a sink in the basement. Running up stairs to get water, outside to dump water and pulling the hose through the window made for way too much exercise.

Sounds like and adventure of a night.So, how did you like electric brewing?

#13 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64096 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 12 November 2009 - 08:03 AM

Sounds like and adventure of a night.So, how did you like electric brewing?

No major mishaps, everything just took longer than expected. The electric brewing was nice. The boil is much more even with the element than with my jet burner. With the burner, the boil tended to have a lot of flare ups and spill-overs. I still have to work on the boil control with the element, though. I have to set my controller to like 208 so the element would cycle on/off about every 15 seconds. I could've left the burner on full blast, but the boil-off rate would've been too high.

#14 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18071 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 08:05 AM

No major mishaps, everything just took longer than expected. The electric brewing was nice. The boil is much more even with the element than with my jet burner. With the burner, the boil tended to have a lot of flare ups and spill-overs. I still have to work on the boil control with the element, though. I have to set my controller to like 208 so the element would cycle on/off about every 15 seconds. I could've left the burner on full blast, but the boil-off rate would've been too high.

What are you using for a control for the boil? I have one of the Auber PID and I run it in manual mode. Set it to 100% to get up to a boil and then back it down to 75-80% to maintian the boil. I end up with aobut 1.5g/hr of boil off in a converted keg.

#15 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64096 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 12 November 2009 - 08:21 AM

What are you using for a control for the boil? I have one of the Auber PID and I run it in manual mode. Set it to 100% to get up to a boil and then back it down to 75-80% to maintian the boil. I end up with aobut 1.5g/hr of boil off in a converted keg.

The controller i have doesn't allow for that, I don't believe. I put a manual boil control system in my control box, but it wasn't working for some reason. I have to check the wiring and components.

#16 BrianBrewerKS

BrianBrewerKS

Comptroller of Winging It

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 08:22 AM

Don't get me wrong, I like my refractometer, but I still use teh good 'ol hydrometer as well for a couple reasons;1. I feel that it gives me a more accurate gravity (as long as I adjust for the temperature)2. When I'm done measuring, I have a small sample of beer to drink! (as opposed to the drop or two that the refractometer uses):lol:The refractometer comes in handy to get pre-boil gravity so you can make any adjustments...and to get a gravity throughout the boil.

Edited by BrianBrewerKS, 12 November 2009 - 08:23 AM.

#17 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18071 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 08:24 AM

Don't get me wrong, I like my refractometer, but I still use teh good 'ol hydrometer as well for a couple reasons;1. I feel that it gives me a more accurate gravity (as long as I adjust for the temperature)2. When I'm done measuring, I have a small sample of beer to drink! (as opposed to the drop or two that the refractometer uses):lol:

I sometimes find myself using both. I like to make sure they are both reading close to the same number. The sample does not hurt either.

#18 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64096 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 13 November 2009 - 08:25 AM

I have to admit, not mashing left me kind of unfulfilled. It's great to have beer in the fermenter, especially because I haven't brewed since September, but the act and smell of mashing has really become what I identify as 'brewing'.

#19 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 08:29 AM

I have to admit, not mashing left me kind of unfulfilled. It's great to have beer in the fermenter, especially because I haven't brewed since September, but the act and smell of mashing has really become what I identify as 'brewing'.

I haven't gone back yet but I may at some point possibly as an informational session for someone else or just for fun. I think I would miss the mashing as well though.

#20 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64096 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 14 November 2009 - 07:31 PM

Well, that WLP007 lived up to it's reputation as a fast attenuator. Before I left the house this morning I noticed that the Krausen has already dropped. When I got home I checked the gravity and it was already down to 1.013 after pitching at 1.038 at 1 am Thursday morning. Not even 60 hours after pitching.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users