171 replies to this topic

#1 ER Pemberton

ER Pemberton

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34436 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 03:24 PM

The good news... my wife let me take down the trampoline today.  The bad news, she wants to put a "greenhouse" there.  Some searching led me to THIS.  This is not as much a greenhouse as it is a "she shed".  She wants to be able to sit outside when it's cooler but sunny and hang out in there.  So the question is how to prepare the space and what to use as the floor.  Just level it, drop some sand and/or pea gravel and put 12x12 pavers down or drop 4x4s into the ground and build a small deck-like thing with 2x6s as the floor?  I'm checking with the PHBT to prepare myself.  She has been asking for this thing for years and now that I'm thinking about it, she's waffling... which would be great.  Maybe I can just spread some grass seed in the bare spot and go back to drinking beer.  :lol:  Cheers gang.

#2 Zaphod_Beeblebrox

Zaphod_Beeblebrox

Comptroller of Nothing

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43778 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 03:36 PM

You will need to plumb pvc pipe to it for sprinklers before you are ready to build.

#3 AspenLeif

AspenLeif

Comptroller of Gingerliness

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19850 posts
  • LocationAspen, CO

Posted 17 March 2019 - 03:37 PM

Make sure it has an outside hasp, so you can padlock her in there.

#4 ER Pemberton

ER Pemberton

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34436 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 03:40 PM

These are both excellent thoughts.  Actually, Zaph brings up a good point.  If I dig post holes, I would have to be careful of the underground sprinklers and the hoses.  That alone is enough for me to like the idea of just using pavers as the base.  

#5 Benadryl Cumbersnatch

Benadryl Cumbersnatch

Comptroller of King Richard V

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33322 posts
  • LocationThe Galaxy

Posted 17 March 2019 - 03:50 PM

Weed.. grow weed,

#6 Kellermeister

Kellermeister

Comptroller of Grievances

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5208 posts
  • Locationthese are not the droids you are looking for

Posted 17 March 2019 - 04:26 PM

Cut the trampoline in half. Stick the ends in the ground so there are two half circles sticking up in the air. Cut some saplings out of the nearby park. Tie them across the two half circles to make a support, then put some painters plastic over it. Wah lah, theres your greenhouse.

#7 zymot

zymot

Comptroller of Small Amounts of Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22447 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 17 March 2019 - 04:39 PM

If the ground is wet, are you sloshing around in mud and muck? Figure out some way to be inside and about the wet.

#8 SnowMan

SnowMan

Advanced Snowman

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7693 posts
  • LocationSunman, IN

Posted 17 March 2019 - 04:41 PM

Get some of those temporary foundation concrete blocks to use as corners.  Deck on top.  That would be the nicest IMHO.

Long term I'd guess that this either leads to a 3 season/sunroom addition to the house or doesn't get used and torn down. 

#9 ER Pemberton

ER Pemberton

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34436 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 04:44 PM

If the ground is wet, are you sloshing around in mud and muck? Figure out some way to be inside and about the wet.

The inside would be dry either with a paver floor or a wood floor.  If it was wood I would have to get it up off the ground and use the right kind of wood (what's the correct wood to use outside so it doesn't rot as easily... pressurized?  Wolmanized?  This is not my area).  I told my wife the paver floor would be colder and the wood floor would be warmer.  I'm also trying to get all the other variables in place... location based on sprinkler heads, location so wifi would be as robust as possible, location for the most amount of sun, etc.  She seems overwhelmed by my questioning.  :lol:

#10 ER Pemberton

ER Pemberton

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34436 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 04:47 PM

Get some of those temporary foundation concrete blocks to use as corners.  Deck on top.  That would be the nicest IMHO.

Can you expand on that?  I'm not seeing what you're envisioning.

Long term I'd guess that this either leads to a 3 season/sunroom addition to the house or doesn't get used and torn down. 

It would be the latter if anything.  It's going to be a good 40-50' from the house.  It would be unbearable in the summer and only really used to get to the springtime earlier and ride the fall later into the year.  Summer and winter it's useless.  

#11 SnowMan

SnowMan

Advanced Snowman

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7693 posts
  • LocationSunman, IN

Posted 17 March 2019 - 04:53 PM

Can you expand on that?  I'm not seeing what you're envisioning.

It would be the latter if anything.  It's going to be a good 40-50' from the house.  It would be unbearable in the summer and only really used to get to the springtime earlier and ride the fall later into the year.  Summer and winter it's useless.  

This one accepts a 4x4.  I've also seen them that are meant to support a corner made of 2x material.  

https://www.homedepo...50005/100350712

#12 Dave McG

Dave McG

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5160 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 17 March 2019 - 04:57 PM

This one accepts a 4x4. I've also seen them that are meant to support a corner made of 2x material.

https://www.homedepo...BLOCK/204230166

#13 ER Pemberton

ER Pemberton

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34436 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 05:00 PM

This one accepts a 4x4.  I've also seen them that are meant to support a corner made of 2x material.  

Ah, that's great.  I'm not sure how I could keep that thing perfectly stable unless I drop it down into the ground a bit.  Then use a 4x4 but make it really short so the greenhouse isn't 2' in the air, lay additional 4x4s across, check how level it is and then once it's level use 2x6's for the floor.  Build the greenhouse so it sits completely on the 2x6s and then anchor the greenhouse to the base.  Am I crazy?  :D

Oh yeah, I see what you did there.  But how is the block in contact with the ground?  Dig it out so that only 1-2" of the block is exposed?  I'm envisioning them moving or sinking.  

#14 Dave McG

Dave McG

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5160 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 17 March 2019 - 05:10 PM

Ah, that's great. I'm not sure how I could keep that thing perfectly stable unless I drop it down into the ground a bit. Then use a 4x4 but make it really short so the greenhouse isn't 2' in the air, lay additional 4x4s across, check how level it is and then once it's level use 2x6's for the floor. Build the greenhouse so it sits completely on the 2x6s and then anchor the greenhouse to the base. Am I crazy? :D

Oh yeah, I see what you did there. But how is the block in contact with the ground? Dig it out so that only 1-2" of the block is exposed? I'm envisioning them moving or sinking.

https://i.stack.imgur.com/7xQku.jpg

#15 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8337 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 17 March 2019 - 05:12 PM

My smoker shack has been sitting on 4 of those things for years and has not sunk or anything. Just sitting right on the ground.
IMG-20160515-145236593.jpg
Oh and BTW, harbor freight has some cheap greenhouses.

#16 Vagus

Vagus

Just had an organism

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 40440 posts
  • LocationThere

Posted 17 March 2019 - 05:20 PM

Tear tires off the van and park the corpse in the yard on cinder blocks.  Sheshed.

#17 ER Pemberton

ER Pemberton

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34436 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 05:35 PM

My smoker shack has been sitting on 4 of those things for years and has not sunk or anything. Just sitting right on the ground.
IMG-20160515-145236593.jpg
Oh and BTW, harbor freight has some cheap greenhouses.

Mmm, interesting.  

Guys, thanks for the direction and inspiration.  Keep it coming if there are things not covered.  Matt, thanks for the tip on HB... I'll check it out.  

#18 Dave McG

Dave McG

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5160 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 17 March 2019 - 05:38 PM

As noted, run a water line and add an electric feed while you're at it. She'll want music, cell phone charger, a tv, aromatherapy, etc.

#19 ER Pemberton

ER Pemberton

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34436 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 05:44 PM

As noted, run a water line and add an electric feed while you're at it. She'll want music, cell phone charger, a tv, aromatherapy, etc.

:lol:

Let's see... she should have wifi but location will dictate.  I do have a low voltage line that runs right past this spot so I could splice into that and run a line into the greenhouse for lights and I could also put in a switch if she doesn't want them on all the time.  No water.  No actual electric.  But there is an outlet by the pool equipment so if she really needed power, running a line over there wouldn't be an issue.  For TV she would use her Surface.  She's going to put a comfy chair in there and a table.  Probably plants and whatever else she envisions.  I could actually see using it when it was a 40-50° sunny day like it was here today and it could be windy outside but quite comfortable inside with all that sun warming the greenhouse.  

#20 Zaphod_Beeblebrox

Zaphod_Beeblebrox

Comptroller of Nothing

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43778 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 06:40 PM

She is going to bitch and complain the rest of your life if there is no water in a greenhouse. Go ahead, make her carry water or drag a hose, see how that ends for you. You will need a fan to move air in the heat of the summer.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)