#1 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 29924 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 15 March 2019 - 08:16 AM

I've had really shitty water pressure for a couple weeks, starting on a morning where it was almost a trickle but came back to adequate in time for my shower.  It seemed like what happens when the town pumps lose power and we're left with just water tower height to drive flow, except we didn't have a loss of power at the time.  It continued to be crappy, but adequate and I thought that the water department must be having some kind of trouble.

Until yesterday I came home from work and it was back to a trickle - like ten minutes to fill a 2 gal toilet trickle.  I asked my neighbors, finally, and none had a problem.  Well, crap that means it's something in my house.  So I decide to check my whole house filter as an obvious first step.  I hadn't checked it before because it was only three months old, which is half their typical life at our usage, and all signs pointed toward a supply problem.

Obviously it was clogged too hell.  The whole thing was a rusty mess and clogged to the point of almost blocking flow.  That's never happened before in all the 18 years we've lived in this house.  The water in this town has always been hard as nails with 600 ppm Ca and mild rust, but it's been especially bad recently.  My work is in the same town and doesn't treat water the way I do at home.  It's not been unusual to have yellow water in the toilets this winter.

#2 Vagus

Vagus

Just had an organism

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37597 posts
  • LocationThere

Posted 15 March 2019 - 08:18 AM

I'd be huffing whatever's in the fire extinguishers if i had to deal with all that.  

#3 Dave McG

Dave McG

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4366 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 15 March 2019 - 09:39 AM

Has the water department done any maintenance or fixed a main tgat feeds your area? If they did, it can dislodge crud built up in the pipes. Since you already replaced the filter, pull off all the aerators from your faucets and run the water on full bore for a couple of minutes. Clean the aerators before putting them back on.

#4 Hines

Hines

Comptroller of Emus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7600 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 09:51 AM

if you report it, let us know what their response is.

There are several new folks at our water treatment facility.   Our water isn't as good as it was a few years ago.   which sucks, we have some of the most natural pure water in the area.

#5 Vagus

Vagus

Just had an organism

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37597 posts
  • LocationThere

Posted 15 March 2019 - 09:57 AM

George's water might have high levels of birth control hormones.  I'd stick to bottled water containing antiseptic alcohol. 

#6 ER Pemberton

ER Pemberton

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31012 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 09:57 AM

I'd be huffing whatever's in the fire extinguishers if i had to deal with all that.  

Agreed.  Let's all huff whatever we can find.  LOOK!  HAIRSPRAY!!  

#7 Vagus

Vagus

Just had an organism

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37597 posts
  • LocationThere

Posted 15 March 2019 - 09:59 AM

Agreed.  Let's all huff whatever we can find.  LOOK!  HAIRSPRAY!!  

If air came in a spray paint can, i'd huff it. 

#8 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3012 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 15 March 2019 - 10:15 AM

Has the water department done any maintenance or fixed a main tgat feeds your area? If they did, it can dislodge crud built up in the pipes. Since you already replaced the filter, pull off all the aerators from your faucets and run the water on full bore for a couple of minutes. Clean the aerators before putting them back on.

This. But run full bore to the laundry tub/slop sink first if possible then the rest of the fixtures.

#9 Dave

Dave

Grammaraticus of Titty Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28249 posts
  • LocationLugnar Island

Posted 15 March 2019 - 10:17 AM

It's not been unusual to have yellow water in the toilets this winter.

There should be a handle that takes care of that problem

#10 GaryNConcord

GaryNConcord

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1370 posts
  • LocationConcord, NC

Posted 15 March 2019 - 05:31 PM

This.  Even cycling one fire hydrant can knock a bunch of crap loose.  Thing is, your neighbors should see that too.  

I'd check the filter again in a few days.  If stuff is stirred up, it can take a little while to settle back down.

#11 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32264 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 15 March 2019 - 06:28 PM

You might install a trap or settling tank in the line before the filter so you don't clog the filter as often.

#12 EWW

EWW

Regular, normal human being

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20538 posts
  • LocationSomewhere special

Posted 15 March 2019 - 06:30 PM

If air came in a spray paint can, i'd huff it.

So keyboard cleaner it is

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users