WTAF.  that's like removing Santa from christmas

#2 Murphy

Murphy

No Life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14017 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 07:01 AM

they should just get rid of the parade entirely, if it's anything like the NYC parade then it should be gone

#3 Vagus

Vagus

Just had an organism

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38366 posts
  • LocationThere

Posted 15 March 2019 - 07:04 AM

Like no candy on Halloween, or no sex on world aids day.

#4 TxBrewer

TxBrewer

CrAp Czar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18364 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 07:04 AM

I have been to several, they wont succeed. 

#5 the_stain

the_stain

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 73755 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 07:05 AM

Is alcohol usually allowed at parades where you guys live? Colorado has pretty strict open container laws.

#6 TonyBrown

TonyBrown

Comptroller of C-Blocking and Wet Streak Marks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 57355 posts
  • LocationAntioch, IL

Posted 15 March 2019 - 07:07 AM

I have been to several, they wont succeed. 

they are also gating/baracading entrance to the parade route.  everyone will be checked, all bags inspected, etc.

Is alcohol usually allowed at parades where you guys live? Colorado has pretty strict open container laws.

largely chicago has ignored this for the st pats parade.  same for any of the championship parades for bulls, hawks, cubs, sox (maybe if they ever have one for the bears)

#7 Murphy

Murphy

No Life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14017 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 07:08 AM

or no sex on world aids day.

only after you pry the viral envelope from my cold, dead hands

#8 Vagus

Vagus

Just had an organism

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38366 posts
  • LocationThere

Posted 15 March 2019 - 07:10 AM

only after you pry the viral envelope from my cold, dead hands

The Necro StrangerTM

#9 Brian72

Brian72

Peter Freer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 36348 posts
  • LocationYour mom

Posted 15 March 2019 - 07:12 AM

St Pats parade in Peoria is a huge drunkfest.

#10 TonyBrown

TonyBrown

Comptroller of C-Blocking and Wet Streak Marks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 57355 posts
  • LocationAntioch, IL

Posted 15 March 2019 - 07:12 AM

St Pats parade in Peoria is a huge drunkfest.

as it should be

#11 TxBrewer

TxBrewer

CrAp Czar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18364 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 07:15 AM

they are also gating/baracading entrance to the parade route.  everyone will be checked, all bags inspected, etc.

largely chicago has ignored this for the st pats parade.  same for any of the championship parades for bulls, hawks, cubs, sox (maybe if they ever have one for the bears)

Has the route changed?   the side streets fed into the teh watching the main route so there were entries up almost every side street.   How are they securing thema ll?

ETA - ok I was at a different parade in the past, this one goes through the park.  The ones we went to were longer routes that would be much more difficult to secure.

https://southsideirishparade.org/

this was the one we used to go to, SWMBO family always had friends with floats in the parade which left us to spend quality time visiting south side bars on the route.

Edited by TxBrewer, 15 March 2019 - 07:20 AM.

#12 armagh

armagh

Grumpy Frost Giant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6532 posts
  • LocationBandit Country

Posted 15 March 2019 - 07:28 AM

Funny how it got to be a drunk fest over here. Wasn't until the 1970s pubs were allowed to open in Ireland on St. P's day.  They weren't any major public celebrations until the mid 90s when they realized the tourist dollars they were missing out on.

#13 SugarTits

SugarTits

Comptroller of Nothing

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42343 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 07:53 AM

The Savannah St Paddy parade is the diggity. It is just a continuation of the previous nights party. Alcohol everywhere if you buy a bracelet. People flat out rocket before 10am everwhere.

#14 Dave McG

Dave McG

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4668 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 15 March 2019 - 08:50 AM

https://southsideirishparade.org/

this was the one we used to go to, SWMBO family always had friends with floats in the parade which left us to spend quality time visiting south side bars on the route.

The South Side Irish Parade kicks off from the end of my block. A few floats have already parked on my street to stage for it. It was cancelled for a few years when things got out of hand. It is supposed to be a neighborhood celebration, but then bars from all over the city started to hire busses to bring patrons down. Usually there were kegs on the bus. The east side of Western Avenue is dry, and the west side has tons of bars. Locals know the tradition that the east side is for families, the west side is the party side. When it was a local event, that worked. Then the busses started, and they came off the expressway on the east side, couldn't get across the blocked streets to the west side, and the drunks started to puke on the sidewalks where the little kids sit. Then some assaulted some cops. We quit having the parade for a few years to send the message that it had crossed certain lines.
It has been back for a few years now. There is still a ton of public drinking, but the enforcement is mainly on the east side, and if you keep it covered up (Irish coffee in a big thermos!) and don't make an ass of yourself it's fine. On the west side it is barely enforced unless someone starts actual trouble. We like the party scene, but there are boundaries. I've only misssed two SSI parades, but I have never been to the downtown one.

#15 Vagus

Vagus

Just had an organism

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38366 posts
  • LocationThere

Posted 15 March 2019 - 09:03 AM

The South Side Irish Parade kicks off from the end of my block. A few floats have already parked on my street to stage for it. It was cancelled for a few years when things got out of hand. It is supposed to be a neighborhood celebration, but then bars from all over the city started to hire busses to bring patrons down. Usually there were kegs on the bus. The east side of Western Avenue is dry, and the west side has tons of bars. Locals know the tradition that the east side is for families, the west side is the party side. When it was a local event, that worked. Then the busses started, and they came off the expressway on the east side, couldn't get across the blocked streets to the west side, and the drunks started to puke on the sidewalks where the little kids sit. Then some assaulted some cops. We quit having the parade for a few years to send the message that it had crossed certain lines.
It has been back for a few years now. There is still a ton of public drinking, but the enforcement is mainly on the east side, and if you keep it covered up (Irish coffee in a big thermos!) and don't make an ass of yourself it's fine. On the west side it is barely enforced unless someone starts actual trouble. We like the party scene, but there are boundaries. I've only misssed two SSI parades, but I have never been to the downtown one.

I mean i know it's bad because it got in the way of the families, but man that sounds so awesome.  Buses of heaving dudes busing in heaving dudes busing in heaving dudes.  

#16 Brownbeard

Brownbeard

Comptroller of Ilks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28539 posts
  • LocationCedar Rapids, Ia

Posted 15 March 2019 - 09:08 AM

I'll get wrecked on Sunday. It's a huge party here.

#17 Vagus

Vagus

Just had an organism

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38366 posts
  • LocationThere

Posted 15 March 2019 - 09:09 AM

i'll get wrecked every day of the week and twice on sunday.

#18 Brownbeard

Brownbeard

Comptroller of Ilks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28539 posts
  • LocationCedar Rapids, Ia

Posted 15 March 2019 - 09:11 AM

i'll get wrecked every day of the week and twice on sunday.

I'm trying to limit myself to two wrecked days a week. I try to stay buzzed the rest of the time. T

#19 TxBrewer

TxBrewer

CrAp Czar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18364 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 09:14 AM

It has been at least 10 years since I have been up here for one, but the ones we used to go to were on the bar side of the route.   Always enjoyed ourselves and had a DD for the return trip.    Chicago/State Police know people are out drinking all day and are ready to nail any drunks.

#20 Kellermeister

Kellermeister

Comptroller of Grievances

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4956 posts
  • Locationthese are not the droids you are looking for

Posted 15 March 2019 - 09:15 AM

Buses of heaving dudes busing in heaving dudes busing in heaving dudes.

Thats like St P day to the third power!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users