#1 Brownbeard

Brownbeard

Comptroller of Ilks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28539 posts
  • LocationCedar Rapids, Ia

Posted 12 March 2019 - 08:14 AM

So I use paypal as my collection application for credit cards, for the BBQ business.  I have been having an issue lately, because one of my regular customers has a corporate card that I have to enter manually.  It is a large business, and the whole thing is very legit.  The problem is, when I enter cards manually, you are limited to $500 a month in transfers from paypal to the bank.  As this customer is regularly doing more than that, I have not been able to access my money.  I contacted paypal, and the guy recommended a virtual terminal option.  I had to pay $30 a month for it, but being able to access my funds made that worth it.  Fast forward to today, and my paypal account is frozen.  I have over a $1200 balance sitting there, that I cannot access.  And my only method for appeal is to send an appeal by mail.  Snail mail.  No phone calls, emails, or faxes.  I have no idea why they would have done this.  I have never had a disputed transaction. And when I call customer support, all they will do is give me the mailing address.

#2 codemonkey

codemonkey

Ass. Comptroller of Ferthdays

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18815 posts
  • LocationMy suburban paradise

Posted 12 March 2019 - 08:16 AM

Time to get one of those Square readers? We have them for the PTA.

#3 TonyBrown

TonyBrown

Comptroller of C-Blocking and Wet Streak Marks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 57355 posts
  • LocationAntioch, IL

Posted 12 March 2019 - 08:16 AM

time to find a different means i reckon

#4 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30521 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 12 March 2019 - 08:18 AM

I stopped using Paypal years ago because they suck ass.

#5 TonyBrown

TonyBrown

Comptroller of C-Blocking and Wet Streak Marks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 57355 posts
  • LocationAntioch, IL

Posted 12 March 2019 - 08:19 AM

and this.  I haven't made a paypal transaction in probably 6-7yrs

#6 Brownbeard

Brownbeard

Comptroller of Ilks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28539 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 08:23 AM

Time to get one of those Square readers? We have them for the PTA.

I actually switched to paypal after someone hacked my square account.  I couldn't log into my account, because they had changed all the login info.  If you don't know the vendor ID from the web site, they will not even speak to you.  Up until this, paypal had way better service.  I am looking for options to take credit card payments now.

If I cannot get this straightened out, they hold my money for 6 months.

#7 Sidney Porter

Sidney Porter

Comptroller of the Banninated

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20828 posts
  • LocationColumbus OH

Posted 12 March 2019 - 08:24 AM

Our rec swim team has a square reader for the concession stand

#8 dagomike

dagomike

Comptroller of CrapPapples

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10226 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 08:24 AM

I had a guy claim he didn't receive an eBay thing. He had a verified account and I provided a tracking number to his verified address and UPS said he signed for it. They froze my funds and I had to fight them even though I was supposed to be covered for this specific situation.

They suck. I tolerate them for one-off things, but I'd never trust them for any kind of income.

#9 Brownbeard

Brownbeard

Comptroller of Ilks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28539 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 08:34 AM

I had a guy claim he didn't receive an eBay thing. He had a verified account and I provided a tracking number to his verified address and UPS said he signed for it. They froze my funds and I had to fight them even though I was supposed to be covered for this specific situation.

They suck. I tolerate them for one-off things, but I'd never trust them for any kind of income.

What was the appeal process like?

In this case, I don't have anyone trying to refute a transaction.  I don't understand it at all.  

#10 Trub L

Trub L

Hooked on a Feelin

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 101531 posts
  • LocationIn the Middle

Posted 12 March 2019 - 08:43 AM

I've only ever been on the buyer side of paypal. It's always been great.

I'd be livid if someone froze my funds for no reason and tried to get me to write a letter to grandma to clear it up. Is that in their TOS?

#11 the_stain

the_stain

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 73755 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 08:51 AM

I've heard some horror stories about stuff like this before.   Apparently, you should always immediately withdraw all funds if you're going to use Paypal.  Don't let them hold on to a balance at all.

#12 ScottS

ScottS

Lord and Master

• King of the Chickens
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15827 posts
  • LocationMy lawn

Posted 12 March 2019 - 08:54 AM

When they resolve disputes between buyers and sellers, the presumption of guilt is always on the seller.  <_<

Though I have to admit they are no worse than the credit card companies in this respect.

We're finding that as phone usage increases and computer usage decreases, more and more people are moving to paypal.  I'm not happy about it, but you go where the customers are.

#13 dagomike

dagomike

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10226 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 08:55 AM

What was the appeal process like?

In this case, I don't have anyone trying to refute a transaction.  I don't understand it at all.  

File a response to the accusation, wait, send documentation, wait, send more documentation, wait some more.

#14 ScottS

ScottS

Lord and Master

• King of the Chickens
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15827 posts
  • LocationMy lawn

Posted 12 March 2019 - 08:57 AM

File a response to the accusation, wait, send documentation, wait, send more documentation, wait some more.

Then get screwed anyway, in our experience.  :stabby:

We have a blacklist on the wall of people who abuse the dispute process to get free stuff.  The payment company doesn't give a damn, so we have to eat it and then refuse to fill their orders going forward.

#15 dagomike

dagomike

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10226 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 09:06 AM

I've heard some horror stories about stuff like this before.   Apparently, you should always immediately withdraw all funds if you're going to use Paypal.  Don't let them hold on to a balance at all.

I know a guy who had funds recalled/withdrawn from his bank account. I guess sort of like a stopped check or something.

A couple of years ago when I decluttered selling off the brewing and sold a bunch of computer/AV gear I was doing a lot of eBay. I did it in batches and basically it's holding your breath USPS didn't screw it up, someone wasn't going to scam you, or they were just going to be jerks with buyers remorse. I'd guess 1 out of 10 would be an issue. They didn't read the description, look at the pictures, or were just high/drunk when they bought it. Like a TV tuner wasn't compatible with their system overseas. Like that's my issue who have no idea what you're doing?

As Scott said, the seller is always presumed guilty, so I had to take everything back because I'd always be on the losing end of "item not as described" fight.

That's more of an eBay thing, but they're the same company.

#16 AGrandDesign

AGrandDesign

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1333 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 09:47 AM

and this.  I haven't made a paypal transaction in probably 6-7yrs

So what's your service of choice? Curious since I use PayPal quite a bit as a seller and, as everyone's noting, things seem skewed to the buyer's side.

#17 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30521 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 12 March 2019 - 09:56 AM

I stopped selling stuff online so it isn't an issue for me now.

#18 Brownbeard

Brownbeard

Comptroller of Ilks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28539 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 10:03 AM

This isn't online sales, it's catering.  And I don't have a dispute from a customer.  That's the weird part.  As soon as I signed up for the Virtual Terminal service, they cancelled the account within hours.  I wish someone at paypal would give me some indication why.

#19 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30521 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 12 March 2019 - 10:08 AM

My wife uses catering services constantly for work - 3 or 4 times a week.  She says that more and more of them are getting away from taking company cards and going back to physical checks.  Maybe for reasons like this.

#20 Brownbeard

Brownbeard

Comptroller of Ilks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28539 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 10:11 AM

My wife uses catering services constantly for work - 3 or 4 times a week.  She says that more and more of them are getting away from taking company cards and going back to physical checks.  Maybe for reasons like this.

What sucks is I know I have two caterings next week.  I'm not sure what I am going to do right now.  These people only use cards.  Makes me want to do some day drinking.  After I mail a letter.  So quaint. :banghead:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users