42 replies to this topic

#21 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53891 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 02:49 PM

I'm not going to suggest that Matt had some contamination... but I have had regular "neutral" yeast give me bad results which, of course was my own fault.  I used Omega West Coast ale (which does not have a nutrient pack in it) and I just used it in a 5% ale without a starter.  Big mistake.  It was supposed to be a "blonde ale" but it came out like a Belgian Hefeweizen.  Never again.... :covreyes:

#22 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 04:36 PM

I'm not going to suggest that Matt had some contamination... but I have had regular "neutral" yeast give me bad results which, of course was my own fault. I used Omega West Coast ale (which does not have a nutrient pack in it) and I just used it in a 5% ale without a starter. Big mistake. It was supposed to be a "blonde ale" but it came out like a Belgian Hefeweizen. Never again.... :covreyes:

Was it fresh? I have had good results with omega yeast.

#23 Seven

Seven

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • LocationChester County, PA

Posted 14 March 2019 - 07:17 PM

I haven't used this yeast yet but I just bought 3 dried kveik yeasts and 1 dried Lithuanian yeast. The yeasts came in 1 gram packages, supposedly enough for 5 gallons of 1.050 wort. I made a 1L starter with the intention of harvesting. Brewed a very hoppy 1.064 wort and chilled to 110F for my Whirlpool. Pitched 600ml of the starter, which smelled fantastically of oranges, at about 95F and covered the fermenter with a quilt. I had active fermentation within a couple hours and krausen fell completely within 24 hours, gravity down to 1.012! The sample was a bit yeasty but had no off flavors, hot alcohol, greenness, diacetyl, etc. These yeasts can be game changers for summer brewing...mind blown!

#24 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53891 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 05:47 AM

Was it fresh? I have had good results with omega yeast.

Yes, it was fresh but it was the first time I made an ale with anything outside of dry (very rare as it is) or Wyeast where I could smack a pack and watch it expand knowing that the yeast was viable.  What I did amounted to taking a White Labs vial (or pouch) of ale yeast and just opening it and pitching it.  Generally speaking I would not do that.  If I were starting up a lager yeast I would make a big starter for it.  If I were starting an ale yeast from a Wyeast package and the package swelled up quickly I would be satisfied that the yeast was going to make good beer.  In this case the activity didn't start up in the fermenter for 2-3 days and something else took over... which calls into question the sanitation too.  I feel like sanitation issues are rare here but you never know.  Clearly I'm spoiled by that Wyeast packaging.  I don't really want to make starters with ale yeast if I can help it.    

#25 LeftyMPfrmDE

LeftyMPfrmDE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 592 posts
  • LocationDelaware

Posted 18 March 2019 - 08:32 AM

I haven't used this yeast yet but I just bought 3 dried kveik yeasts and 1 dried Lithuanian yeast. The yeasts came in 1 gram packages, supposedly enough for 5 gallons of 1.050 wort. I made a 1L starter with the intention of harvesting. Brewed a very hoppy 1.064 wort and chilled to 110F for my Whirlpool. Pitched 600ml of the starter, which smelled fantastically of oranges, at about 95F and covered the fermenter with a quilt. I had active fermentation within a couple hours and krausen fell completely within 24 hours, gravity down to 1.012! The sample was a bit yeasty but had no off flavors, hot alcohol, greenness, diacetyl, etc. These yeasts can be game changers for summer brewing...mind blown!

Where do I procure such yeast? Its been on my radar for a bit. curious for myself, but I think it'll be a good subject for a future brew club meeting.  

#26 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 09:16 AM

Where do I procure such yeast? Its been on my radar for a bit. curious for myself, but I think it'll be a good subject for a future brew club meeting.  

Curious also where he got it.

#27 Seven

Seven

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • LocationChester County, PA

Posted 19 March 2019 - 05:52 PM

Curious also where he got it.

Sorry for the delay. I got my yeast from Sleight Beer Lab...they had a limited run of dry yeasts, 3 kveik from Norway and 1 farmhouse yeast from Lithuania. They were all isolates since the originals typically contain multiple strains. Other labs manufacture these yeasts, including Omega, TYB, Escarpment.

There's a lot of info about these yeasts at the Milk The Funk wiki and on the blog from the guy responsible for bringing these yeasts from obscurity

http://www.garshol.p...o/blog/378.html

I have a LOT of yeast from primary that I saved and will attempt to dry shortly. It unfortunately has some hop material in it but I'll give it a go anyway.

#28 Buscotucky

Buscotucky

Comptroller of Lips and Smooching

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3605 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 05:20 AM

Here's a facebook site that sells the strains, direct from Norway (maybe the guy that runs the blog?) $20 which includes international shipping. 26 strains available now.

https://www.facebook...74036689779170/

#29 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 03 May 2019 - 01:15 PM

is this the yeast in the OP or is it something else?

https://www.northern...vxoCO8YQAvD_BwE

#30 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 03 May 2019 - 01:18 PM

this all seems very confusing....

#31 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 03 May 2019 - 03:18 PM

is this the yeast in the OP or is it something else?

https://www.northern...vxoCO8YQAvD_BwE

No, not the same. Kviek strain but not the Oslo one.

#32 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 05 May 2019 - 01:32 PM

Is there one that is called Lars or something like that? There is a beer at great rhythm that is getting good feedback that is one of these yeasts.

#33 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 05 May 2019 - 01:54 PM

Not a strain that I know but this Lars knows lots about kviek yeast... http://www.garshol.p...o/blog/291.html

#34 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 05 May 2019 - 04:45 PM

my brother said the beer had a very orangey flavor.

https://untappd.com/...an-haze/3132938

#35 Buscotucky

Buscotucky

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3605 posts

Posted 09 December 2019 - 02:47 PM

*bump*

Just ordered some of the Osolo yeast from here...looking forward to trying to make a pseudo lager. https://bootlegbiolo...t-tag/homebrew/

Anybody ever get a chance to try it?

#36 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 12 December 2019 - 11:56 AM

I have not used it but I've had pseudolagers made with it.  Both were estery and phenolic.

#37 Buscotucky

Buscotucky

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3605 posts

Posted 12 December 2019 - 03:53 PM

I have not used it but I've had pseudolagers made with it.  Both were estery and phenolic.

Well, that's disappointing.  :( 

#38 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53891 posts

Posted 13 December 2019 - 07:30 AM

If it was 95° outside and I had no way to control the temp of the fermentation, I would probably try it. But the character that I get from traditional lager yeast is one of the reasons I like lagers.  To make a beer that is supposedly smooth and clean like a lager but doesn't have that nice German or Czech character... that's not working especially if they're estery and phenolic.  I'd rather just make a blonde ale with 1056 and call it a day.  

#39 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 13 December 2019 - 12:31 PM

If it was 95° outside and I had no way to control the temp of the fermentation, I would probably try it. But the character that I get from traditional lager yeast is one of the reasons I like lagers.  To make a beer that is supposedly smooth and clean like a lager but doesn't have that nice German or Czech character... that's not working especially if they're estery and phenolic.  I'd rather just make a blonde ale with 1056 and call it a day.  

THIS^^^^  I can't see what I would have to gain by using a kviek yeast unless I wanted that particular flavor profile.

#40 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49856 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 13 December 2019 - 02:18 PM

THIS^^^^ I can't see what I would have to gain by using a kviek yeast unless I wanted that particular flavor profile.

Yup.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users