42 replies to this topic

#1 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18036 posts

Posted 11 March 2019 - 10:10 AM

Ken you need this for those hot summer months.  It is amazing the amount of yeast coming out that ferment so well at high temps.  

"OSLO can comfortably produce beautifully clean, lager-like beers at temperatures as high as 98F (37C) without noticeable off flavors. At the high end of fermentation temperature, beers can finish attenuating in as little as three days! This culture’s versatility and neutral flavor profile allows you to effortlessly produce most beer styles."

https://bootlegbiolo...m/product/oslo/

#2 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53363 posts

Posted 11 March 2019 - 11:47 AM

Thanks Drez.  I remember people liking Pacman which White Labs called "San Diego Super Yeast" or some such thing.  WLP090.  It was supposed to be very clean and 1056-like.  I used it and did not care for the beers I made with it.  Estery, phenolic, complex, mildly Belgian-like.  Of course it could have been mishandled on my part.  This Oslo is giving me similar nightmares.  It says "beautifully clean" but is it really?  Have you used it yet?

#3 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18036 posts

Posted 11 March 2019 - 11:59 AM

Thanks Drez.  I remember people liking Pacman which White Labs called "San Diego Super Yeast" or some such thing.  WLP090.  It was supposed to be very clean and 1056-like.  I used it and did not care for the beers I made with it.  Estery, phenolic, complex, mildly Belgian-like.  Of course it could have been mishandled on my part.  This Oslo is giving me similar nightmares.  It says "beautifully clean" but is it really?  Have you used it yet?

It is brand new and just came out.  I would like to give it a try latter this spring/summer and if I do I will report back.  So many new yeast and so little brewing time.

#4 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 11 March 2019 - 01:21 PM

"Ferments like a Belgian, drinks like a lager".

#5 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53363 posts

Posted 11 March 2019 - 01:29 PM

I guess my gut reaction is that there are so many great lager yeasts and I even seem to find "even mo bettah" lager strains which make my current favorite lager strain my second-favorite lager strain.  :lol:  Did that make sense?  So I don't seem to see a shortage of great lager yeast strains.  That said, I do like to try new lager yeasts but they're typically German and Czech in origin.  I do agree with Drez... so many new yeasts (and ingredients in general), so little time to brew.  

#6 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9090 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 11 March 2019 - 03:13 PM

WLP090 is Pacman?  From your description it sure doesn't sound like it.  Pacman is very clean.

Edited by denny, 11 March 2019 - 03:14 PM.

#7 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53363 posts

Posted 11 March 2019 - 03:44 PM

WLP090 is Pacman?  From your description it sure doesn't sound like it.  Pacman is very clean.

Maybe I bought Pacman (from Wyeast) and WLP090 San Diego Super Yeast at the same time because many brewers said they were great and neutral.  My point is that I sometimes have another brewer tell me to use a certain yeast and I describe my aversion to Belgian-like, complex, barnyard, horse-blanket, vomit-like, Brett-character yeast strains and they say YOU'LL LOVE THIS ONE! and then I brew with it and wince on the first whiff of it.  I guess I have enough lager strains to play with... Bayern, 2124, 2782, 2278, 2308, 940, etc.  

#8 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 11 March 2019 - 07:26 PM

Man, I've been brewing for over 10 years now but what's up with yeasts now being able to ferment super hot while still tasting good!? 

I mean, I'm happy about it, but where have they been!?

#9 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18036 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 04:42 AM

Man, I've been brewing for over 10 years now but what's up with yeasts now being able to ferment super hot while still tasting good!? 

Apparently in Norway ..lol

#10 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53363 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 06:11 AM

Probably has something to do with preparing to brew beer while dealing with global warming.  :D

#11 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 12 March 2019 - 07:20 AM

has anyone here used it yet?  if not glad to hear we can get some feedback from drez.

#12 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18036 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 07:26 AM

has anyone here used it yet?  if not glad to hear we can get some feedback from drez.

It was just released yesterday.  I am not sure anyone outside of Norway has used it .

#13 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 12 March 2019 - 08:55 AM

It was just released yesterday.  I am not sure anyone outside of Norway has used it .

oh whoops.  I thought this was one that had come out within the past year.

#14 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49845 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 12 March 2019 - 12:24 PM

WLP090 is Pacman? From your description it sure doesn't sound like it. Pacman is very clean.

I was surprised to hear that as well. Doesn’t seem like it to me. But I’ve used SDSY a bunch and it hasn’t come out as Ken described

#15 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9090 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 12 March 2019 - 02:20 PM

Maybe I bought Pacman (from Wyeast) and WLP090 San Diego Super Yeast at the same time because many brewers said they were great and neutral.  My point is that I sometimes have another brewer tell me to use a certain yeast and I describe my aversion to Belgian-like, complex, barnyard, horse-blanket, vomit-like, Brett-character yeast strains and they say YOU'LL LOVE THIS ONE! and then I brew with it and wince on the first whiff of it.  I guess I have enough lager strains to play with... Bayern, 2124, 2782, 2278, 2308, 940, etc.  

I have never found 090 to be anywhere near neutral.  But yeah, once you have your stable of yeasts, I find that there's little need to go farther for most of the things I want to brew.

#16 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18036 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 03:03 PM

I have never found 090 to be anywhere near neutral. But yeah, once you have your stable of yeasts, I find that there's little need to go farther for most of the things I want to brew.

One of the authors of Experimental Brewing doesn't want to experiment with yeast?

#17 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9090 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 12 March 2019 - 05:52 PM

One of the authors of Experimental Brewing doesn't want to experiment with yeast?

to an extent..the kviek stuff looks kinda interesting.  But remember, before I was experimental, I was pragmatic....;)

#18 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10543 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 14 March 2019 - 11:46 AM

I made a simple lager with Mangrove Jacks M54 yeast a month or so ago and it tastes similar to this description you posted. It is a lager yeast that is supposed to ferment at higher temps. It's a drinkable beer, just not what I was hoping for.

#19 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18036 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 11:52 AM

I made a simple lager with Mangrove Jacks M54 yeast a month or so ago and it tastes similar to this description you posted. It is a lager yeast that is supposed to ferment at higher temps. It's a drinkable beer, just not what I was hoping for.

I have not had good luck with Mangrove Jacks  yeast.  If I remember correct they are slow and you really need double the amount of yeast.

#20 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9090 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 14 March 2019 - 12:58 PM

I have not had good luck with Mangrove Jacks  yeast.  If I remember correct they are slow and you really need double the amount of yeast.

Same here.  It comes from Bevie, the parent company of Grainfather.  Despite the fact that the people there are friends, I will not use MJ yeast.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users