5 replies to this topic

#1 Glacies

Glacies

Comptroller of Schwanz Hats

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5095 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 05:24 PM

I started hijacking the Wine Kit thread and thought I'd bring it over here becuase I'm interested in putting together a small vineyard this spring. I was originally planning to buy vine clippings from an online source, but someone mentioned that I should call a local winery and try to get some of thier spring trimmings. Who's done what, what is the success rate?

#2 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 26 March 2009 - 05:29 PM

I started hijacking the Wine Kit thread and thought I'd bring it over here becuase I'm interested in putting together a small vineyard this spring. I was originally planning to buy vine clippings from an online source, but someone mentioned that I should call a local winery and try to get some of thier spring trimmings. Who's done what, what is the success rate?

subscrise to threadI want someday to have a nice little backyard vinyardright now I have 1 scrawny little Merlot Vine

#3 ANUSTART

ANUSTART

The Drunk Dump Truck Euphanism.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3268 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 26 March 2009 - 08:24 PM

I posted this to a now [for all intents and purposes (or intensive porpoises)] defunct wine forum once. It's about growing in Colorado, and it's a bit out of date, but there may be some useful info.

#4 japh

japh

Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14964 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 27 March 2009 - 11:59 AM

Keep us updated, I'm interested in planting some Pinot at my next place.

#5 Thag

Thag

Comptroller of Nothing

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 47523 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 07:08 AM

You are best to buy local clippings as they have survived adapting to the local conditions of the soil. Grape vines can be very intolerant of soil conditions. Here in the far southeastern plains there is a fungus in the soil that slowly kills off certain varieties of trees and grape varieties. The good wine producing grapes do not do well at all unless you have elevated beds to grow them, and even then they can get killed off.I would stick to the plants that have survived and evolved to meet the conditions of the local soil.

Edited by Zaphod_Beeblebrox, 28 March 2009 - 07:09 AM.

#6 BeesNBrews

BeesNBrews

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationNorth Central Ohio

Posted 07 April 2009 - 06:36 AM

You can go lots of directions responding to this.Propagation of grapes from cuttings is simple, almost easy. Two or three node cuttings stuck into a well-drained bed will root under good conditions. I recommend taking double the number you want unless you have experience. You can use a rooting hormone but this is more useful for the fungicide it contains. The process will, however, put you a year behind purchasing rooted transplants from a nursery. You can still get orders in this year.What area of the country are you located in? In Ohio, the buds have begun to swell and the trimmings have been laying in piles for weeks now--best to get them fresh.Like others have said, see what varieties are successful in your area. Start with them, then experiment with others later.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users