#1 KSUwildcatFAN

KSUwildcatFAN

Comptroller of ChopSticks & Ghey Bach Chow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5796 posts
  • LocationKC Area

Posted 13 February 2019 - 09:22 PM

There were some things happening at work that kind of forced my hand, but last week I emailed my boss to tell her that I was strongly considering going part time if acceptable to them.

Without all the boring details, I'll be working 30 something hours each week over 4 days starting in a couple months. It will give me more time with my family where I can help more around the house and focus on my side gig. A big step for me, hopefully it works out!

#2 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31117 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 13 February 2019 - 09:24 PM

Woot!

#3 TonyBrown

TonyBrown

Comptroller of C-Blocking and Wet Streak Marks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 58463 posts
  • LocationAntioch, IL

Posted 13 February 2019 - 09:25 PM

:frank:

#4 Brian72

Brian72

Peter Freer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 36528 posts
  • LocationYour mom

Posted 13 February 2019 - 09:37 PM

Get some!

#5 SugarTits

SugarTits

Comptroller of Nothing

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42965 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 09:59 PM

Grow the side gig!

#6 pods8

pods8

Grand Duke of Near Misses

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20728 posts
  • LocationBoulder, CO

Posted 13 February 2019 - 10:05 PM

Jealous, congrats.

#7 Zsasz

Zsasz

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38741 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 14 February 2019 - 05:07 AM

30 would be  nice.  it would make it easier on the kids for sure.

#8 Beejus McReejus

Beejus McReejus

Comptroller of Flying Ducks

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10406 posts
  • LocationTopeka, KS

Posted 14 February 2019 - 05:09 AM

Best of luck! You already have insurance through another avenue?

#9 porter

porter

Comptroller of Affairs with Potatoes

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9895 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs, CO

Posted 14 February 2019 - 08:40 AM

4 day weeks are awesome. Would be tough to go back to 5 days.

#10 KSUwildcatFAN

KSUwildcatFAN

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5796 posts
  • LocationKC Area

Posted 14 February 2019 - 08:46 AM

Thanks everyone! It's exciting and a little nerve wracking to be honest. I do think it will be fine or else I wouldn't do it, but the unknown and all.

Grow the side gig!

That's the plan! Maybe I can walk away from this corporate cube altogether in a year or few. My boss asked me if I knew I was taking a step back...I said "yep". We'll see I guess.

Best of luck! You already have insurance through another avenue?

I will still get benefits at my currrnet gig if working over 30 hours/week.

#11 Trub L

Trub L

Hooked on a Feelin

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 103090 posts
  • LocationIn the Middle

Posted 14 February 2019 - 08:55 AM

Will you be able to walk out the door at 30, or is this a case where going from 40 to 30 really means going from 50 to 40?

What does the boss feel is your "step back"?

#12 KSUwildcatFAN

KSUwildcatFAN

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5796 posts
  • LocationKC Area

Posted 14 February 2019 - 08:56 AM

Will you be able to walk out the door at 30, or is this a case where going from 40 to 30 really means going from 50 to 40?

30-40.

My job tends to be busy in the winter and kinda slower in the summer. So I expect I'll be working 30 in the warmer months and 35-40 during the colder ones. If they are giving me more than I can do in 40, we'll be having another meeting because I won't do it.

#13 SnowMan

SnowMan

Advanced Snowman

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7199 posts
  • LocationSunman, IN

Posted 14 February 2019 - 09:28 AM

30-40.

My job tends to be busy in the winter and kinda slower in the summer. So I expect I'll be working 30 in the warmer months and 35-40 during the colder ones. If they are giving me more than I can do in 40, we'll be having another meeting because I won't do it.

What does the boss feel is your "step back"?

Was wondering that too.  Here we have an engineer that went from 5 days, 40 (reality 45-50 depending on project needs) to 4 days, but only part-time those days. Supposedly less than 30 overall, ideally 24.   She still ends up scheduled for more than what she was supposed to, she started saying no and it's absolutely crushing her career and standing in the company. Some of the no's she was giving were her direct clients, not through another PM.  That is outright costing the company $ which isn't going to fly long no matter what you do.  

As a PM, I'll take a lower level employee for a project over her unless she has a priceless skill I can't live without.  It may take the younger person longer, they may have to consult briefly with the part-time person or someone else.  But most importantly they are here.  Present and participating.  

This particular person will stick around and annoy everyone else forever due to politics, but she's done advancing.  At age 35ish.  Feck that. 

Where part-time professional gigs seem to work out is with old guys that want to work but be semi-retired.  We have a few of those around here.  60-75 years old.  A couple of them work a set schedule of 20 ish hours a week. A couple more are basically on-call to be a subject matter expert on a project by project basis.  Have a need, call them up.  They are happy to bang out 40 for a few weeks and then go away for a few months or do some drawing reviews at 10 hours a week.  That arrangement work for everyone.  

Good luck with the side gig.  I think you're going to need that to kick ass to make this work and not have long term repercussions. 

Edited by SnowMan, 14 February 2019 - 09:32 AM.

#14 ER Pemberton

ER Pemberton

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32414 posts

Posted 14 February 2019 - 09:54 AM

Good luck.  I'm envisioning an update to this in about 6 months saying, "Best thing I ever did!".  :D

#15 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20728 posts
  • LocationBoulder, CO

Posted 14 February 2019 - 10:33 AM

Technically if the side doesn’t pan out wouldn’t swapping companies and going full bore wipe away the negative career history folks are concerned about (assuming the industry isn’t tiny and talks preventing getting in the door to show new vigor)?

#16 KSUwildcatFAN

KSUwildcatFAN

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5796 posts
  • LocationKC Area

Posted 14 February 2019 - 11:50 AM

Was wondering that too. Here we have an engineer that went from 5 days, 40 (reality 45-50 depending on project needs) to 4 days, but only part-time those days. Supposedly less than 30 overall, ideally 24. She still ends up scheduled for more than what she was supposed to, she started saying no and it's absolutely crushing her career and standing in the company. Some of the no's she was giving were her direct clients, not through another PM. That is outright costing the company $ which isn't going to fly long no matter what you do.

As a PM, I'll take a lower level employee for a project over her unless she has a priceless skill I can't live without. It may take the younger person longer, they may have to consult briefly with the part-time person or someone else. But most importantly they are here. Present and participating.

This particular person will stick around and annoy everyone else forever due to politics, but she's done advancing. At age 35ish. Feck that.

Where part-time professional gigs seem to work out is with old guys that want to work but be semi-retired. We have a few of those around here. 60-75 years old. A couple of them work a set schedule of 20 ish hours a week. A couple more are basically on-call to be a subject matter expert on a project by project basis. Have a need, call them up. They are happy to bang out 40 for a few weeks and then go away for a few months or do some drawing reviews at 10 hours a week. That arrangement work for everyone.

Good luck with the side gig. I think you're going to need that to kick ass to make this work and not have long term repercussions.

You have no idea how many similarities to that story there is to mine, sort of. I'm 38, in a project manager at an engineering company and I'll be going part time. It absolutely will halt my career. And I don't care. I'm moving back to a designer role, my choice, they wanted me to stay as PM, but I'm missing a day every week and that's not easy to do as a PM.

As far as the side gig, I probably make as much cash as I do from my current salary, so I'm basically staying on for the benefits. The move I'm making now within the side gig should hopefully increase that cashflow by maybe 50%. But that's the unknown variable.

Good luck. I'm envisioning an update to this in about 6 months saying, "Best thing I ever did!". :D

I think so too but we'll see! Hope we're right!

#17 SnowMan

SnowMan

Advanced Snowman

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7199 posts
  • LocationSunman, IN

Posted 14 February 2019 - 01:20 PM

You have no idea how many similarities to that story there is to mine, sort of. I'm 38, in a project manager at an engineering company and I'll be going part time. It absolutely will halt my career. And I don't care. I'm moving back to a designer role, my choice, they wanted me to stay as PM, but I'm missing a day every week and that's not easy to do as a PM.

As far as the side gig, I probably make as much cash as I do from my current salary, so I'm basically staying on for the benefits. The move I'm making now within the side gig should hopefully increase that cashflow by maybe 50%. But that's the unknown variable.
I think so too but we'll see! Hope we're right!

As long as you've thought it through and are owning it, I wish you luck!  

#18 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20728 posts
  • LocationBoulder, CO

Posted 14 February 2019 - 01:36 PM

I got a PM that works part time from home on a refurb project I am doing, it sucks he’s never available in a timely manner.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users