19 replies to this topic

#1 the_stain

the_stain

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 72741 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 05:24 PM

So last year I did this and it worked out super well. Doing it again this year.

We don't usually take a "vacation" as in going somewhere. But I am allowed to take around 25 days of PTO per year (more with approval).

We have this calendar app where you go in and request your PTO days. Management generally approves it as long as not too many people are off at the same time. The only rule is that you have to ask 2 weeks ahead at least.

Sooooo long story short every year in January I go on that app and I look for company holidays that fall on a Monday or Friday. And I take the Friday or Monday before or after as a PTO day. I go through the whole year.

So every 3 day weekend is a 4 day weekend and every 4 day weekend is a 5 or 6 day weekend but I only have to burn 2 days.

I only mention this because Monday is a holiday and I took Friday off. So today is my thirsty thursday. Let's drink.

Edited by the_stain, 13 February 2019 - 05:24 PM.

#2 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26233 posts
  • LocationKC - Kansas side

Posted 13 February 2019 - 05:30 PM

Good for you.  Some places burn you with no pay stretching out a Holiday weekend.  

#3 the_stain

the_stain

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 72741 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 05:33 PM

Good for you. Some places burn you with no pay stretching out a Holiday weekend.

Yep. One of my life goals is never to work for such a place ever again! :D

#4 Kellermeister

Kellermeister

Comptroller of Grievances

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4758 posts
  • Locationthese are not the droids you are looking for

Posted 13 February 2019 - 05:34 PM

I hear you can get time off if you get a doctors note.

#5 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22432 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 13 February 2019 - 06:02 PM

Good for you.  Some places burn you with no pay stretching out a Holiday weekend.  

Huh... I've never heard of that.  If X day is a work day and you take it off.. burn your vacation day.  If Y day is a holiday, it gets paid.  There are actually draconian companies out there that screw you out of your paid holidays?

#6 DuncanDad

DuncanDad

Comptroller of Complaints and Unruly Clients

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15288 posts
  • LocationLaGrange, GA

Posted 13 February 2019 - 06:18 PM

Huh... I've never heard of that.  If X day is a work day and you take it off.. burn your vacation day.  If Y day is a holiday, it gets paid.  There are actually draconian companies out there that screw you out of your paid holidays?

Yep. If you don't work the day before the holiday, you don't get the holiday pay. Vacation/PTO, what ever.

Also, I have worked for companies that had me come in on Saturday and give me the following Tuesday off thus avoiding overtime pay.

#7 TonyBrown

TonyBrown

Comptroller of C-Blocking and Wet Streak Marks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 56679 posts
  • LocationAntioch, IL

Posted 13 February 2019 - 06:20 PM

I work from home tomorrow anyway, so......

IN

#8 BeersBeers24/7

BeersBeers24/7

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5406 posts
  • LocationAshevegas!

Posted 13 February 2019 - 06:22 PM

Im glad I work for myself.

Every day is thirsty Thursday.

#9 weep er

weep er

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7319 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 06:27 PM

I hear you can get time off if you get a doctors note.

Grrrrrrrr

Good for you. Some places burn you with no pay stretching out a Holiday weekend.

Only if it’s a call out at my gig.

So last year I did this and it worked out super well. Doing it again this year.

I only mention this because Monday is a holiday and I took Friday off. So today is my thirsty thursday. Let's drink.

I’ve been using this method for vacation since 1996. I rarely take a full work week. Long weekends are my fav.

#10 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26233 posts
  • LocationKC - Kansas side

Posted 13 February 2019 - 06:31 PM

I do it at my office.  I'm fairly good about Holidays.  The 4th is on a Tuesday - we take M,T,W off with pay (well I don't get paid).  There was always someone trying to tack Friday onto that.  I'm a really small business and you know what - we need to double down on the days before and after that paid break to make it up.  Screw that - take your PTO or vacations days some other time.  You lose 3 paid days off for one Holiday because you wanted that extra day.

#11 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22432 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 13 February 2019 - 08:56 PM

I do it at my office.  I'm fairly good about Holidays.  The 4th is on a Tuesday - we take M,T,W off with pay (well I don't get paid).  There was always someone trying to tack Friday onto that.  I'm a really small business and you know what - we need to double down on the days before and after that paid break to make it up.  Screw that - take your PTO or vacations days some other time.  You lose 3 paid days off for one Holiday because you wanted that extra day.

Small business I can understand.  I've only worked for Fortune 500 companies.

#12 LeftyMPfrmDE

LeftyMPfrmDE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
  • LocationDelaware

Posted 14 February 2019 - 12:02 PM

Yep. If you don't work the day before the holiday, you don't get the holiday pay. Vacation/PTO, what ever.

Also, I have worked for companies that had me come in on Saturday and give me the following Tuesday off thus avoiding overtime pay.

This. worked for small companies, and big corporations. In the trades. this is standard practice with holidays. as far as "comp time" ( to avoid OT pay) never flew for me; if your going to wreck my Saturday, your paying me time and a half; bottom line. 

In two more years, after 5 years of service, I'll go from one week vacation, to two weeks! that's the max, no personal or sick days. ever. if you call out, even one day, you better have a doctor's note, or plan to have a mark against your record. 

I envy you folks  who get personal/sick days, and more then two weeks vacation, sometimes. But, my schedule is 4 day, 10 hour shifts; while everyone else at my company is 5 day, 8 hours. so, the small vacation time is often planned around my weekend. little victories. 

Edited by LeftyMPfrmDE, 14 February 2019 - 12:02 PM.

#13 DuncanDad

DuncanDad

Comptroller of Complaints and Unruly Clients

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15288 posts
  • LocationLaGrange, GA

Posted 14 February 2019 - 12:49 PM

This. worked for small companies, and big corporations. In the trades. this is standard practice with holidays. as far as "comp time" ( to avoid OT pay) never flew for me; if your going to wreck my Saturday, your paying me time and a half; bottom line. 

In two more years, after 5 years of service, I'll go from one week vacation, to two weeks! that's the max, no personal or sick days. ever. if you call out, even one day, you better have a doctor's note, or plan to have a mark against your record. 

I envy you folks  who get personal/sick days, and more then two weeks vacation, sometimes. But, my schedule is 4 day, 10 hour shifts; while everyone else at my company is 5 day, 8 hours. so, the small vacation time is often planned around my weekend. little victories. 

Yeah, I never understood the whole "Mark against your record" BS.

I live in Georgia-a right to work state where you can be let go for wearing brown shoes on a black shoe day.

Ohh, you're gonna put a mark on my record. I'm shaking in my shoes over here.

You fire me, so what? I find another job.

If my future employer calls up and you run your mouth saying I had marks against me, you can and, will be sued.

#14 Sidney Porter

Sidney Porter

Comptroller of the Banninated

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20665 posts
  • LocationColumbus OH

Posted 14 February 2019 - 01:24 PM

Back when I was a kid my dad had to put in his vaction request for a week at a time. He wasn't allowed to take a day here and a day there. He also had to put it in in Nov or Dec for the entire next year. He typically got 4 to 6 weeks but there were no holidays they were open 24x7x365. He was hourly so no paid sick time

#15 cavman

cavman

Comptroller of BigPossMan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9923 posts
  • LocationSomerville, MA

Posted 14 February 2019 - 01:31 PM

I have seen it where if you call out sick the day before or after the holiday you lose the pay. But planned days off whether vacation or PTO you still get holiday pay. 

#16 porter

porter

Comptroller of Affairs with Potatoes

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9586 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs, CO

Posted 14 February 2019 - 03:04 PM

I have seen it where if you call out sick the day before or after the holiday you lose the pay. But planned days off whether vacation or PTO you still get holiday pay.

That makes sense. I can also see restrictions in the case of a smaller operation like DJ's. But as a general policy, what Duncan describes is crap. Obviously the whole organization would not be able to do this all at once, but it should at least be subject to manager review.

#17 Hines

Hines

Comptroller of Emus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7680 posts

Posted 15 February 2019 - 08:19 AM

"paid holiday."   You guys make me laugh.

#18 Trub L

Trub L

Hooked on a Feelin

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 100779 posts
  • LocationIn the Middle

Posted 15 February 2019 - 08:22 AM

Yeah, I never understood the whole "Mark against your record" BS.
I live in Georgia-a right to work state where you can be let go for wearing brown shoes on a black shoe day.
Ohh, you're gonna put a mark on my record. I'm shaking in my shoes over here.
You fire me, so what? I find another job.
If my future employer calls up and you run your mouth saying I had marks against me, you can and, will be sued.

Good ol' keyboard balls.

#19 Patrick C.

Patrick C.

Comproller of Toilet Tank Vodka

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4840 posts
  • LocationAcworth GA

Posted 15 February 2019 - 11:06 AM

Not a strategy, but I'm in the middle of burning most of my vacation time over a 4 week stretch.  Skiing the last week of January, back at work for a week, then to Jamaica with the wife, then two days of work followed by skiing again next week.  I try to use it all before the holidays- working from home makes it a waste to take vacation time around Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years.

#20 pods8

pods8

Grand Duke of Near Misses

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20561 posts
  • LocationBoulder, CO

Posted 15 February 2019 - 11:27 AM

I have permissive leave, take what you need and work it with your manager (he says take roughly what the old vacation schedules say, which is something like 4-5weeks for me at this point).  I work remote (in an office but not one that I do anything with) and also I travel at times on weekends/holidays, etc. which comps time unofficially.  SO more or less get your stuff done, submit your timesheet showing PTO or comp'd to the appropriate project and go on with life.  Taking a 3 or 4 day weekend scattered around isn't even a blip on the radar assuming its not when something major is due.  The big block of time I take is Christmas to travel but most folks are tuned out then so no worries.  Hunting I'll sometimes take a couple days on each side of a weekend but not typically out a full work week so plates keep spinning.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users