25 replies to this topic

#1 Hines

Hines

Comptroller of Emus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7859 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 05:48 PM

I hunt with a crossbow because I won’t invest the time in practicing with a compound bow. However I have picked up a strange urge to buy a recurve bow. No idea why.

Any of you go the traditional route?

#2 43hertz

43hertz

Gold Star Recipient

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7838 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 05:57 PM

Used to do some recurve when in the scouts, but that was forty five years ago.

#3 TonyBrown

TonyBrown

Comptroller of C-Blocking and Wet Streak Marks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 58507 posts
  • LocationAntioch, IL

Posted 12 February 2019 - 06:18 PM

it takes quite a bit of time to become an instinctive shooter, but once you do its pretty cool.  if you are new to TradArchery I highly suggest starting with a low poundage bow, and by that I mean like 30-35lb, dont go for the big poundage bow up front, different muscles that many don't really get worked out.  once your muscles build up you can sell it off and up your poundage.

Bear makes some great entry bows, Grizzly recurves can be had all over on ebay and archery sites.  you'll need a few things of course, shooting glover for your pull hand, arm guard for your hold hand, get aluminum arrows and field points to learn with.  store your bow with the string off, you can get a bow stringer for it.  as you get further into it you can get turned wood arrows and use real turkey tail feather for vanes and build your own arrows depending on how far down that rabit hole you wanna go.

Archery is one of my favorite things, I love shooting, it can be cheap and you almost never have to buy 'more ammo'

IIRC TradGang.com is a good traditional archery site, some very knowledgeable folks there.

#4 codemonkey

codemonkey

Ass. Comptroller of Ferthdays

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18916 posts
  • LocationMy suburban paradise

Posted 12 February 2019 - 06:25 PM

I bought my girl a recurve bow this past summer. It had sights, so I don't think it qualifies as traditional, but man I had a lot of fun shooting it. Even started looking into those olympic style bows but I know me, and I like the gear and the idea a lot better than making the effort to practice enough to make it worthwhile. We'll bring it back out in the summer and see if she wants to take it any further.

#5 TonyBrown

TonyBrown

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 58507 posts
  • LocationAntioch, IL

Posted 12 February 2019 - 06:36 PM

most competitive archery comps are on compound gear.  you can spend some big coin on target archery, real easy to drop $3k+ on a nice target rig.  most target rigs have a 40+" axle-to-axle length and you'll spend big money on a real stabilizer system, sight, rest, and release.  not to mention spending a TON of time getting it dialed in properly, correct number of twists on the string, correct length/spine on arrows, etc.

but as with anything, its all about learning to shoot correctly.  your form and lots of range time learning how to shoot will get you further than spending big money on a target rig.  the shooter is more important than the bow they are using.  I used to do 3D target shoots with a 34" ATA hunting bow, a B-Stinger stabilizer, fall away rest and good release.  I never won anything but I was competitive enough for my desires and it was fun

#6 bdutton

bdutton

Comptroller of Gifts

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6553 posts
  • LocationLooking over your shoulder, judging you.

Posted 12 February 2019 - 06:52 PM

So much respect for longbow from me.  As a competitive shooter in the Olympic styles I think there are a lot of similarities between Longbow and precision pistol and rifle.

#7 bdutton

bdutton

Comptroller of Gifts

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6553 posts
  • LocationLooking over your shoulder, judging you.

Posted 12 February 2019 - 06:54 PM

most competitive archery comps are on compound gear.  you can spend some big coin on target archery, real easy to drop $3k+ on a nice target rig.  most target rigs have a 40+" axle-to-axle length and you'll spend big money on a real stabilizer system, sight, rest, and release.  not to mention spending a TON of time getting it dialed in properly, correct number of twists on the string, correct length/spine on arrows, etc.

but as with anything, its all about learning to shoot correctly.  your form and lots of range time learning how to shoot will get you further than spending big money on a target rig.  the shooter is more important than the bow they are using.  I used to do 3D target shoots with a 34" ATA hunting bow, a B-Stinger stabilizer, fall away rest and good release.  I never won anything but I was competitive enough for my desires and it was fun

Bass Pro shop near me sponsors a longbow archery program for juniors.  May be worth looking into for anyone with kids interested.

#8 SugarTits

SugarTits

Comptroller of Nothing

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42987 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 06:57 PM

I have hunted recurve and compound. I stopped with the recurve. I was not as accurate because of needing to hold the full draw pressure. I would rather have more accurate shots.

#9 Kellermeister

Kellermeister

Comptroller of Grievances

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5208 posts
  • Locationthese are not the droids you are looking for

Posted 12 February 2019 - 07:23 PM

How do you find the arrows after you shoot them into the forest?

#10 TonyBrown

TonyBrown

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 58507 posts
  • LocationAntioch, IL

Posted 12 February 2019 - 07:33 PM

They have tracer nocks that light up when shot

#11 Ford Maddox

Ford Maddox

Comptroller of King Richard V

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31583 posts
  • LocationThe Galaxy

Posted 12 February 2019 - 08:11 PM

So much respect for longbow from me. As a competitive shooter in the Olympic styles I think there are a lot of similarities between Longbow and precision pistol and rifle.

https://www.youtube....h?v=qjnUDiouC2M

I learned on a longbow when I was in the Boy Scouts...

#12 SnowMan

SnowMan

Advanced Snowman

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7204 posts
  • LocationSunman, IN

Posted 12 February 2019 - 08:20 PM

If you don't have time for a compound, you aren't going to be proficient enough to hunt anytime soon.

If you just want to mess around, sure why not.

#13 BeersBeers24/7

BeersBeers24/7

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5492 posts
  • LocationAshevegas!

Posted 12 February 2019 - 08:23 PM

Nope

#14 TonyBrown

TonyBrown

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 58507 posts
  • LocationAntioch, IL

Posted 12 February 2019 - 08:23 PM

If you don't have time for a compound, you aren't going to be proficient enough to hunt anytime soon.

If you just want to mess around, sure why not.

yup, true. Easier to become proficient with compound. Trad gear is more difficult to become good at, but to some degree it is a bit more fulfilling

#15 porter

porter

Comptroller of Affairs with Potatoes

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9905 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs, CO

Posted 12 February 2019 - 08:46 PM

I had bows as a kid. Two compound bows and a recurve. Spent almost as much time with them as with firearms. Haven't shot one in years. I'd love to get into it. Hunting with a bow here in Colorado is a whole other level than rifle hunting, that's for sure. I'm not that good to track a deer in the wild and harvest with a bow. However, there was talk (which has been shelved) of allowing bow hunting (for deer) in the city limits (not for just anyone). If that happened I'd certainly buy one. If one of my kids has an interest I'd certainly encourage it. 

#16 StankDelicious

StankDelicious

Comptroller of BigBossMan

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11688 posts
  • LocationMarylandistan

Posted 12 February 2019 - 09:11 PM

I have a recurve, but it is only for target shooting. You'd be better off with a compound bow for hunting, IMO.

#17 Hines

Hines

Comptroller of Emus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7859 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 09:13 PM

Yeah, until I could responsibly and humanely hunt with a recurve, I wouldn’t.

#18 TonyBrown

TonyBrown

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 58507 posts
  • LocationAntioch, IL

Posted 12 February 2019 - 09:39 PM

Yeah, until I could responsibly and humanely hunt with a recurve, I wouldn’t.

with a little research and a touch of help from a friend you can become proficient enough to hunt with a compound in a couple months.  once your rig is set up proper of course.  refining your shooting technique goes quickly if you shoot a few days per week.  several guys I know put their bows away at the end of the season and dont pick it up again until august or so to prep for the season.

#19 SnowMan

SnowMan

Advanced Snowman

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7204 posts
  • LocationSunman, IN

Posted 13 February 2019 - 05:47 AM

with a little research and a touch of help from a friend you can become proficient enough to hunt with a compound in a couple months. once your rig is set up proper of course. refining your shooting technique goes quickly if you shoot a few days per week. several guys I know put their bows away at the end of the season and dont pick it up again until august or so to prep for the season.

This. I bought my bow about a year ago, and was plenty proficient by season in October. I shot 2-3 nights a week. I've slacked off since November, but will pick it up again here soon.

#20 pods8

pods8

Grand Duke of Near Misses

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20729 posts
  • LocationBoulder, CO

Posted 13 February 2019 - 08:13 AM

Yeah this thread doesn’t make sense, compounds are way easier. The day I got a bow set up for myself w/o any experience I was shooting some 4” groups at 40yd (most 8-12”). If you have room to shoot at home (I don’t) 10-15min a few days a week you’ll be doing well assuming you got the bow set up correctly initially so you aren’t chasing your tail on things and just working form/consistency instead.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users