#1 EWW

EWW

Regular, normal human being

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20389 posts
  • LocationSomewhere special

Posted 12 February 2019 - 03:56 PM

A tree that I believe to be on my neighbor’s property (or possibly shared) is leaning awfully close to a few overhead lines after our recent storm. The whole tree is leaning and looks as if it will go with the next big wind or snow/ice event. I believe one of the lines is phone and one is power. This line runs over a well traveled road that leads to the ferry.

Do I call the power company to come and address this?

#2 Ineedacatscan

Ineedacatscan

Comptroller of BAW!!!1!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3387 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 04:00 PM

Yup. It’s likely the tree is in an easement and their responsibility to deal with.

#3 the_stain

the_stain

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 70781 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 04:04 PM

Yup. It’s likely the tree is in an easement and their responsibility to deal with.

+1

#4 Dave McG

Dave McG

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4175 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 12 February 2019 - 04:04 PM

Yes, although they might pass it off on your neighbors. If the tree is in the easement, the power company has more responsibility, if it is on the neighbors lot, they likely won't touch it. In either case, don't expect results for a long time, it is low priority work.

#5 Oui Pear

Oui Pear

Comptroller of King Richard V

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28815 posts
  • LocationThe Galaxy

Posted 12 February 2019 - 04:07 PM

Gotta love JPA

#6 EWW

EWW

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20389 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 04:11 PM

Yes, although they might pass it off on your neighbors. If the tree is in the easement, the power company has more responsibility, if it is on the neighbors lot, they likely won't touch it. In either case, don't expect results for a long time, it is low priority work.

Thanks. On hold now...

How far off the road is the typical easement?

#7 Oui Pear

Oui Pear

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28815 posts
  • LocationThe Galaxy

Posted 12 February 2019 - 04:14 PM

5-6 feet parallel to the transmittion lines

#8 EWW

EWW

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20389 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 04:15 PM

The tree is leaning at about a 75 degree angle. The line over the road appears to be drooping and the trunk of the tree is leaning within feet of the line.

#9 Dave McG

Dave McG

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4175 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 12 February 2019 - 04:15 PM

That varies a ton. Ww usually get ten feet in backyards, five feet to each side of the property line. In front it is not so easy. There is the public right of way, along with covenants and public property. I'm also not at all familiar with laws other than IL.

#10 SnowMan

SnowMan

Advanced Snowman

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6613 posts
  • LocationSunman, IN

Posted 12 February 2019 - 04:17 PM

In my rural area, it's 20' either side of the line.  They aren't shy about clearing it either.  A call like what you describe would get a response in 3-4 days if there aren't any severe weather events or outages going on. 

#11 Ineedacatscan

Ineedacatscan

Comptroller of BAW!!!1!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3387 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 04:23 PM

In my rural area, it's 20' either side of the line. They aren't shy about clearing it either. A call like what you describe would get a response in 3-4 days if there aren't any severe weather events or outages going on.

Like a massive snowstorm shutting down power and access to an island??

#12 EWW

EWW

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20389 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 04:24 PM

Reported and done.

#13 Dave McG

Dave McG

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4175 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 12 February 2019 - 04:42 PM

The tree is leaning at about a 75 degree angle. The line over the road appears to be drooping and the trunk of the tree is leaning within feet of the line.

A call to your town hall might escalate the response. If they have a forestry department they might even do it to avoid an incident. They can certainly apply pressure.

#14 BIG POPPA

BIG POPPA

Duke of Errrrl

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24639 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 04:43 PM

Around these parts they come out several times and clear the power lines. I've seen beautiful oaks with a big V hacked out of the canopy. They are not gentle by no means. They started hacking away on a friend of mine who has trees in his front yard. He came home to see them just flailing away at his poor tree. He just told them to quit murderizing it and cut it down ...shit.

#15 Oui Pear

Oui Pear

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28815 posts
  • LocationThe Galaxy

Posted 12 February 2019 - 05:33 PM

When I worked in LA the DWP took their sweet ass time responding to easement trimming issues...

#16 Kellermeister

Kellermeister

Comptroller of Grievances

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4322 posts
  • Locationthese are not the droids you are looking for

Posted 12 February 2019 - 07:29 PM

Just wait till it falls down. Then you will have something to do on your storm day off, watching the utility crews try to restore your power in a bad storm.

#17 SnowMan

SnowMan

Advanced Snowman

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6613 posts
  • LocationSunman, IN

Posted 12 February 2019 - 07:33 PM

Like a massive snowstorm shutting down power and access to an island??

Might be why I put that qualifier on there...

#18 BIG POPPA

BIG POPPA

Duke of Errrrl

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24639 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 04:55 AM

Just wait till it falls down. Then you will have something to do on your storm day off, watching the utility crews try to restore your power in a bad storm.

True enough but we rarely get weather here that would  take down a mighty oak. Pine trees fall at the drop of a hat. Any hint of weather and most pines just lay down and #### it on the ground. IN the area that I am, it's kinda weird. I guess the wind patterns, coupled with terrain etc, we hardly get VERY BAD weather. A county or two over tho, different story, If I get small pellet sized hail at my house, then invariably there will be some kind of tornado touchdown a few counties over, I'm like in a zone I guess. An anti weather bubble. Oh but I do get the precip. Every 3 or so years we  get ice. That will take down Bradford pears and pines and limbs. I hate to complain about rainfall, but I hear that JoCassee got 100+ inches of rainfall. Now that will make a pine tree fall. They have small root systems. But as long as you keep your oaks trimmed up good by professionals, they will retain their limbs.

#19 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

Comptroller of le Shartes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14334 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 13 February 2019 - 07:37 AM

Say goodbye to that tree. if the power company uses one of their subcontractors that sucker will be trimmed back so far might as well cut it down. 

#20 EWW

EWW

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20389 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 09:03 AM

It’s a junk tree. I actually hope the utility company decides to take down a few at that location

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users