#1 DuncanDad

DuncanDad

Comptroller of Complaints and Unruly Clients

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15329 posts
  • LocationLaGrange, GA

Posted 10 February 2019 - 07:14 PM

We finally got a couple of quotes to demo out the kitchen and come back with finished drywall.

We started the cabinet quote process with a couple of companies but Frugal Kitchens and cabinets lost out due to the extended timeline for deliverables and not having all of the cabinets we really wanted.

I scheduled an appointment with a Home Depot Kitchen designer. She has over 20 years working for Home Depot designing kitchens. We laid out the kitchen on Friday. I took the W/G by on Saturday to look at the cabinets, make sure the color was correct and meet the designer.

Despite being booked solid, she took a few minutes to go over our quote, offer suggestions and make on the fly changes and modified the quotes. She said she would be working Sunday to stop by if we had more questions.

We got up Sunday feeling pretty good about the situation but had a few more questions so, I sent the designer an email saying we would like to stop by if possible. She replied quickly and set an appointment for us.

We finalized the layout and the quote last Sunday.

We ordered cabinets for the laundry room as well. Full wood construction cabinets for the kitchen and laundry room came to 8200 delivered. Cabinets are guaranteed for life.

Meanwhile, I've been stressing out over the laundry room sink. The ones I like are 400-800 dollars. One of the guys I work with says he lives near a ReStore and can pop over to see what they have. He sent me pictures of a brand new Julien UbanEdge under mount sink. 25.00. Oh Yeah. That's more like it.

The vent hood had caused a bit of heartburn. I wanted a GE, basic SS vent hood but they are looking like 600.00. I go on WayFare and find the same vent hood, (different branding) for 199.00 with free shipping.

Counter tops: OMG. The choices are limitless. We finally settle on a solid surface counter top by LG, (like Corian) but, I was not that thrilled about the performance, (not that we are hard on our countertops). I go back over the HD and start looking again. I see a quartz countertop I actually love for 49/ft2. The stuff from LG is 47/ft2. No brainer to feel that to the W/G.

We are over the amount we expected to spend but, we will have a really nice kitchen for much less that 20 grand.

#2 Vagus

Vagus

Just had an organism

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38366 posts
  • LocationThere

Posted 10 February 2019 - 07:20 PM

You using home depot to install?

#3 DuncanDad

DuncanDad

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15329 posts
  • LocationLaGrange, GA

Posted 10 February 2019 - 07:21 PM

You using home depot to install?

Nah. The demo guys will install.

HD will install the sinks and drains. I'll take care of the new faucets.

#4 Vagus

Vagus

Just had an organism

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38366 posts
  • LocationThere

Posted 10 February 2019 - 07:23 PM

Sweet

#5 DuncanDad

DuncanDad

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15329 posts
  • LocationLaGrange, GA

Posted 10 February 2019 - 07:30 PM

Oh, if we oder the countess front the same HD we got the cabinets from, they will throw on a free sink and installation.

The local HD doesn't do that. I'll drive 30 minutes up the hi-way to save 300.00

#6 BeersBeers24/7

BeersBeers24/7

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5450 posts
  • LocationAshevegas!

Posted 10 February 2019 - 07:57 PM

We used HD for our kitchen. Design and install. Was around $25k said and done. Of course there was no kitchen when we bought it. Foreclosure and they ripped it all out before they moved out. Well worth it though.

#7 DuncanDad

DuncanDad

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15329 posts
  • LocationLaGrange, GA

Posted 11 February 2019 - 03:37 AM

We used HD for our kitchen. Design and install. Was around $25k said and done. Of course there was no kitchen when we bought it. Foreclosure and they ripped it all out before they moved out. Well worth it though.

I like the idea of having a large company to back up the goods sold.

We are about 4 weeks out before the hammer falls. Still getting odds and ends put together for this but, I think we will be pretty happy with the result by the middle of March.

#8 BIG POPPA

BIG POPPA

Duke of Errrrl

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25030 posts

Posted 11 February 2019 - 05:52 AM

I'm still a little confused why you are doing kitchen reno on a house you are going to sell unless it's a bid to get a higher price for it. But I don't envy you with the kitchen reno. I ate out for about a month before I got mine all finished.And a nice layer of dust everywhere.

#9 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26542 posts
  • LocationKC - Kansas side

Posted 11 February 2019 - 06:02 AM

I like the idea of having a large company to back up the goods sold.

We are about 4 weeks out before the hammer falls. Still getting odds and ends put together for this but, I think we will be pretty happy with the result by the middle of March.

#10 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30519 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 11 February 2019 - 06:11 AM

Nice!

#11 Sidney Porter

Sidney Porter

Comptroller of the Banninated

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20828 posts
  • LocationColumbus OH

Posted 11 February 2019 - 07:00 AM

The good and the bad about using home depot /Lowe's for the contractors
- home Depot and Lowe's with withhold payment if you are not satisfied. They will also get in the middle of the dispute if you are not happy.

The bad they pay the contractors a low rate. For a contractor being one of their subs means you are not generating enough business on your own. This could be because you are average at the actual work or you are bad at marketing

#12 DuncanDad

DuncanDad

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15329 posts
  • LocationLaGrange, GA

Posted 11 February 2019 - 07:23 AM

That's why we are having Home Depot just do the counter tops. I have my own demo/rebuild crew and they will install the vent hood and the cabinets.

#13 DuncanDad

DuncanDad

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15329 posts
  • LocationLaGrange, GA

Posted 11 February 2019 - 07:26 AM

I'm still a little confused why you are doing kitchen reno on a house you are going to sell unless it's a bid to get a higher price for it. But I don't envy you with the kitchen reno. I ate out for about a month before I got mine all finished.And a nice layer of dust everywhere.

That's it exactly. The kitchen is by far the most in need of updating. We "remodeled" the kitchen about 20 years ago on the cheap. Since then, it's been good enough but, not good enough to sell.

Bathrooms and kitchens are what people most look at when buying a house.

Of course, this could all be a massive exercise in mental and physical masturbation if the Thread comes through our living room.

#14 DuncanDad

DuncanDad

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15329 posts
  • LocationLaGrange, GA

Posted 22 February 2019 - 11:22 AM

Never, in the time that man has walked this earth has this happened.

Cabinets are ready to deliver-2 full weeks early. Took less than three weeks from order to ready to deliver.

Construction crew is ready to come in 3 days early.

#15 Vagus

Vagus

Just had an organism

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38366 posts
  • LocationThere

Posted 22 February 2019 - 11:54 AM

Never, in the time that man has walked this earth has this happened.

Cabinets are ready to deliver-2 full weeks early. Took less than three weeks from order to ready to deliver.

Construction crew is ready to come in 3 days early.

Find the lottery and play it!

#16 DuncanDad

DuncanDad

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15329 posts
  • LocationLaGrange, GA

Posted 22 February 2019 - 11:57 AM

Find the lottery and play it!

Shoot, I still have to buy faucets for the kitchen and laundry room.

I found someone to take the old cabinets but, they can't get them until next Saturday.

I need to call the cabinet delivery company and tell them to drop them a week from Tuesday instead of two weeks from now.

#17 Vagus

Vagus

Just had an organism

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38366 posts
  • LocationThere

Posted 22 February 2019 - 11:58 AM

Shoot, I still have to buy faucets for the kitchen and laundry room.

I found someone to take the old cabinets but, they can't get them until next Saturday.

I need to call the cabinet delivery company and tell them to drop them a week from Tuesday instead of two weeks from now.

Meant that in terms of your lucky streak.

#18 Grawlix

Grawlix

Comptroller of King Richard V

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30523 posts
  • LocationThe Galaxy

Posted 22 February 2019 - 01:25 PM

The old cabinets could get some good use in the garage, just saying

#19 DuncanDad

DuncanDad

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15329 posts
  • LocationLaGrange, GA

Posted 22 February 2019 - 02:38 PM

The old cabinets could get some good use in the garage, just saying

I have some old cabinets from the family room remodel in the shop now. I just don't need any more.

At least I'm not paying someone to pull them out and they are getting a second life somewhere else.

#20 DuncanDad

DuncanDad

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15329 posts
  • LocationLaGrange, GA

Posted 06 March 2019 - 04:35 AM

Ok we are pulling into day 3 of the demo. Almost all of the plaster is down.

Cabinets came in yesterday.

Electrician comes today.

I'll hang the laundry room cabinets this morning and get some stuff put away.

I hope to be able to get drywall up by Friday that way we can set the base cabinets over the weekend. The countertop template is scheduled for Tuesday.

Gonna be tight...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users