18 replies to this topic

#1 Car ChuckRam

Car ChuckRam

Rami!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7719 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 11:39 PM

New to me 2001 F150 XLT Supercrew. I had to compromise for my wife. I wanted a long box 5 speed truck. She wanted a back seat, and an automatic, so here we are. 166K on the clock. Dealership hadn’t even run it through the shop, or the wash.

Fired it up, and check engine light came on, and idled like shit. I asked the salesman to take it to the shop, and run the code to tell me which cylinder was misfiring. He asked how I knew. I said it’s a 5.4 Triton baby! Errybody knows about coil packs. I was hoping it wasn’t #8, as that fecker is up against the firewall, and under the fecking fuel rail. Sure enough, #8. Not that big of a deal, just a bitch to not drop that god damned bolt. It’s a 7mm, and no telling where it will end up.

Other than that, just small shit mechanically. Gummed up power lock actuators. Will lock with the button, but won’t unlock. Intermittent odometer light, and bad passenger side window switch.

No jack, or lug wrench, hazed over head lights, and two missing lug nut covers.

$2500 out the door. Perfect around town truck for the both of us.

#2 the_stain

the_stain

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 72741 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 11:41 PM

That seems like a nice price. That truck would be 4k here

#3 AspenLeif

AspenLeif

Comptroller of Gingerliness

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18493 posts
  • LocationAspen, CO

Posted 08 February 2019 - 11:45 PM

Wow, great price.  Was it subject to Mag or Na Chloride roads?  That's about the only worry on a vehicle so old, yet so young.  

#4 Car ChuckRam

Car ChuckRam

Rami!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7719 posts

Posted 09 February 2019 - 12:06 AM

Wow, great price.  Was it subject to Mag or Na Chloride roads?  That's about the only worry on a vehicle so old, yet so young.

Nope. No road shit in this part of Oregon.

#5 porter

porter

Comptroller of Affairs with Potatoes

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9586 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs, CO

Posted 09 February 2019 - 12:14 AM

Good buy. I'd have something similar, but my truck is occasionally pressed into commuter service.

#6 Dave McG

Dave McG

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4510 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 09 February 2019 - 07:47 AM

Nice. If you are doing the coil pack yourself, spend an afternoon and do all of them, as well as the filters and fan belt. Stash the old fan belt in a cavity under the hood somewhere as an emergency backup, and make sure that there is a routing diagram under the hood or in the owner's manual. I had to draw my own on my Escape and my old Explorer. Ford doesn't like to make them obvious.
That thing should run forever with basic tlc.

#7 TonyBrown

TonyBrown

Comptroller of C-Blocking and Wet Streak Marks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 56679 posts
  • LocationAntioch, IL

Posted 09 February 2019 - 08:03 AM

The 2v motor was notorious for spitting spark plugs out of the head.  AL heads with weak threads and shit so be careful changing them.  aside from that those motors are pretty solid if not exceptionally powerful.  for your purpose it should be a pretty good truck, they are very reliable.

#8 BFB

BFB

Wind Whisperer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9217 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 09 February 2019 - 08:13 AM

When changing plugs use anti-sieze on the threads.You'll thank me if you have to change plugs again.

#9 BIG POPPA

BIG POPPA

Duke of Errrrl

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25004 posts

Posted 09 February 2019 - 08:45 AM

Awesome. I have the 2010 F-150. Good truck

2010_ford_f150_profile.jpg

#10 Beejus McReejus

Beejus McReejus

Comptroller of Flying Ducks

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10277 posts
  • LocationTopeka, KS

Posted 09 February 2019 - 03:30 PM

I picked up a 2002 F250 Triton V10 last spring to haul the camper with.  I think I got a pretty good deal on it with 107K, the fifth wheel hitch, new LED headlights and battery and pretty damn clean for $5K.  Did have to fix a leaking differential, but nothing major so far.  I just changed spark plugs on that bitch and still have one left that I need to get to....against the firewall.  :)  They are a fuggin' pain.

Edited by Beejus McReejus, 09 February 2019 - 03:30 PM.

#11 dondewey

dondewey

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1063 posts
  • LocationVA

Posted 09 February 2019 - 04:20 PM

I picked up a 2002 F250 Triton V10 last spring to haul the camper with. I think I got a pretty good deal on it with 107K, the fifth wheel hitch, new LED headlights and battery and pretty damn clean for $5K. Did have to fix a leaking differential, but nothing major so far. I just changed spark plugs on that bitch and still have one left that I need to get to....against the firewall. :) They are a fuggin' pain.

Yeah. That's a good deal. That engine is supposed to be good, too.

#12 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32353 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 09 February 2019 - 04:44 PM

Check the roof for rust. They put these slots in the roof that collect water and rust the roof out. I have 2002 super crew and I had to sand it down and use flex seal to seal it up. Took it to a couple shops to get it fixed professionally and they said no, can't be fixed properly without having problems again in another year or so.

#13 Car ChuckRam

Car ChuckRam

Rami!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7719 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 11:42 PM

Forgot to mention the cruise control wasn’t working. That motherfecker had me stumped as feck. Bought a release switch from NAPA for $20. Nope. Bought a Servo off eBay for $40. Nope. Fecking nothing. Not even the self diagnostics worked. Bought a set of junkyard steering wheel controls for $15. Nope. Motherfecker.

I had given up on it, as it’s just an around town truck anyway. Today, I back out of the driveway to go to the supermarket and the neighbor stops me, and tells me my high stop light is out. Thanks I say, and hit the parts store for a pack of bulbs. Put the new bulb in at the parts store, and go to the supermarket. On the way home, I brushed the cruise control on button, and motherfecker if that light didn’t come . Cruise control works just fine.

Get home, do a little digging through the Ford forums, and find a post from 2006 stating that the high stop light is also a release switch. If the bulb goes, the cruise control thinks the brake pedal is being pushed and won’t turn on.

Defeated by a fecking $4 a pack light bulb.

#14 Car ChuckRam

Car ChuckRam

Rami!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7719 posts

Posted 14 February 2019 - 12:17 PM

New day, new trip to the junkyard. Gonna get me a window switch, and see if I can’t get a OEM jack kit.

#15 Car ChuckRam

Car ChuckRam

Rami!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7719 posts

Posted 14 February 2019 - 03:23 PM

Got a whole passenger door switch assembly, and a cup holder. no jack kit though. $12 at the pick a part.

#16 Mexas Joe

Mexas Joe

Obama Thanker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19724 posts
  • LocationIt's OK to be White

Posted 14 February 2019 - 03:49 PM

Errybody knows about coil packs.

Errybody knows that used to be a trigger word around here. 

Got a whole passenger door switch assembly, and a cup holder. no jack kit though. $12 at the pick a part.

How is Avery Auto Salvage doing these days?

Sounds like you got a score on the new sled. 

#17 Sidney Porter

Sidney Porter

Comptroller of the Banninated

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20665 posts
  • LocationColumbus OH

Posted 14 February 2019 - 05:53 PM

What happens to jacks in used vehicles? I am only using a oem jack when I absolutely need to. all of mine live in their assigned spot. If I do need to use it it goes back to its assigned spot as soon as it is done
Personally I would pick a a cheap harbor freight bottle jack. Store it in the truck and hope you never need it

This will go 18 inches. Should be enough to change a tire
https://m.harborfrei...jack-69478.html

Edited by Sidney Porter, 14 February 2019 - 05:56 PM.

#18 Kellermeister

Kellermeister

Comptroller of Grievances

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4758 posts
  • Locationthese are not the droids you are looking for

Posted 14 February 2019 - 06:59 PM

Tho

#19 JKor

JKor

Puller of Meats