#1 LeftyMPfrmDE

LeftyMPfrmDE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 592 posts
  • LocationDelaware

Posted 04 February 2019 - 10:27 AM

was pouring over my old brew logs; I still use pen and paper for all my recipes and brew days. Celebrating 10 years as a homebrewer.

Really don't know where all the time went! brewed very consistently for those years- there's about a year of lag time, but then again I had a gig where I was traveling for work- example, was lucky enough for 6 months, was only 3 hours away from home, so those weekends I shot home, a brew session was in order. 

I've learned a lot in that time. thought it would be a great way to save a couple bucks (LOL). but the more I learn, the more I find out that I don't know. Made some great beer, some OK, and a few batches of trash. Even have a few blue ribbons from competitions, and did a pro-am with a local brewery. it all started from a love of beer, and watching a couple videos on YT from a guy who goes by the handle CriagTube. 

It's funny, when I started, It was all about malty, English/Irish ales. moved onto big, high octane barley wines, discovered water chemistry, then got into Hoppy beers, lagers, session beers and sours. 

really grateful that I found this hobby.  It constantly challenges me to be a better brewer. 

Here's to the next 10 years. Cheers!

Edited by LeftyMPfrmDE, 04 February 2019 - 10:28 AM.

#2 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 04 February 2019 - 10:52 AM

Congrats!

I am also celebrating 10 years brewing. Started in February 2009.  MLPA was my first beer. Took a hiatus last year and built my 5 gallon system. Back to basics again. I am enjoying it again for sure and I've already brewed 4 batches this year.

#3 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 04 February 2019 - 10:56 AM

Just added it up, I've brewed 120 batches in 10 years (well 9 since I didn't brew last year), but for the previous 3 years all my batches were 1 bbl. So by volume I did quite a bit more than the average homebrewer.

#4 LeftyMPfrmDE

LeftyMPfrmDE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 592 posts
  • LocationDelaware

Posted 04 February 2019 - 10:59 AM

Congrats!

I am also celebrating 10 years brewing. Started in February 2009.  MLPA was my first beer. Took a hiatus last year and built my 5 gallon system. Back to basics again. I am enjoying it again for sure and I've already brewed 4 batches this year.

my first beer was a robust porter kit from brewer's best. it fermented in a hot ass garage, and it was the best beer i ever tasted. Just wrapped up a brew session for the club; did a double brew day. cream ale- one batch was treated for the style, and my personal consumption, the other, just ran it thru the filter, no other adjustments. Doing a water demo for March's meeting. 

Just added it up, I've brewed 120 batches in 10 years (well 9 since I didn't brew last year), but for the previous 3 years all my batches were 1 bbl. So by volume I did quite a bit more than the average homebrewer.

Impressive. my last batch was #146. mostly 5 gallon batches; last year did 4 10 gallon batches. 

#5 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 04 February 2019 - 02:57 PM

I started brewing in the mid-90s at a Brew-On-Premise in Chicago.  It was a very cool place and my buds and I would go there occasionally to brew and then back 2 weeks later to bottle.  Eventually the place closed and in September of 1999 I started looking into brewing at home.  So 20 years this September.  When I started brewing I only had 2 kids, not 3 and my daughter was only 4... now she has graduated college, works as a teacher and lives in Austin!  Where does the time go... indeed.  

#6 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 04 February 2019 - 03:11 PM

Coming up on 18 years for me in September.

Started off as an apartment brewer my sophomore year in college with good ol' Mr. Beer, and soon progressed into the extract-based kits my now-former LHBS offered.  After a couple of years, prices on my local's kits were starting to climb (a lot!), which pushed me into all-grain. 

Also started kegging around the same time; still using the same Haier chest freezer I bought in 2003 with a 3-faucet tower I bought from Bev Factory.

Eventually got a 2nd fridge (our old fridge from the kitchen when we bought our last house in 2003) for lagering and hop storage in the freezer, several Vittles Vaults for bulk grain storage, my own grain mill (first a PhilMill I, then a BC; on my 2nd BC now), and a nitro setup for my kegerator.

And a sh*tload of glassware along the way.

Good times.

#7 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 04 February 2019 - 03:26 PM

All mine are recorded with pen and paper too.  14 years into round two last December.

#8 pkrone

pkrone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 499 posts
  • LocationTejas

Posted 04 February 2019 - 03:56 PM

23 years for me.   Hard to believe.     Still room for improvement too!

#9 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 04 February 2019 - 05:17 PM

23 years for me.   Hard to believe.     Still room for improvement too!

That's a nice run.  I remember taking classes at the LHBS with Alberta (RIP) and Jackie (Rager IBU) Rager when round one of homebrewing for me started in the early 80's.  That turned into the start of the KC Biermeisters.  Jackie and Alberta ended up taking over the store.

#10 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 05 February 2019 - 04:14 AM

I think I'm at 12-13 now. I like beer.

#11 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 07:32 AM

I think I started around 2003 or something like that so about 16 years.  SNPA clone was my first kit.  Still making changes and tweaks each time.  Still enjoy brewing and wish I could do it more but family and not being able to drink as much hinder that.

#12 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 05 February 2019 - 09:11 AM

For a minute there I thought this was going to be a convo about my favorite Zep tune ;)

#13 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9090 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 05 February 2019 - 11:55 AM

March 19 will be 21 years for me.  Batch #539 tomorrow.

#14 LeftyMPfrmDE

LeftyMPfrmDE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 592 posts
  • LocationDelaware

Posted 09 February 2019 - 06:15 PM

For a minute there I thought this was going to be a convo about my favorite Zep tune.

totally didn't think of this when did the OP. here ya go! awesome tune, BTW.  https://www.youtube....h?v=DBzuYNK95sM

Edited by LeftyMPfrmDE, 09 February 2019 - 06:16 PM.

#15 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10544 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 11 February 2019 - 01:04 PM

I started right around 12 years ago. Got inspired after finding all these good beers while I was traveling for work at the time. First brew was a Fat Tire clone extract kit.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users