positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 16 February 2019 - 01:12 PM

I didn’t know there was a non app version lol

I usually come across it when I'm going to a new location and I'm trying to find bars with a decent tap list.

#62 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 16 February 2019 - 02:22 PM

Been on a helles kick lately. Bready, a fair amount of hops, and the abv is right so you cant have a few and not fall over.

Dude, you got a go to recipe? I'm growing up a starter of some bavarian lager yeast and this is exactly what I was thinking to try.

#63 LeftyMPfrmDE

LeftyMPfrmDE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 592 posts
  • LocationDelaware

Posted 16 February 2019 - 03:22 PM

Dude, you got a go to recipe? I'm growing up a starter of some bavarian lager yeast and this is exactly what I was thinking to try.

I do, but out of town this weekend. Ill post it when i get back home. Off hand, pilsner, light Munich, all hallertau hops, keep it around 5%.

#64 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 18 February 2019 - 07:27 AM

Solid, thanks

#65 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 18 February 2019 - 07:30 AM

Solid, thanks

JB, also... don't add any sulfate to our water (are you on Lake Michigan water?).  We already have about 27ppm of SO4 and a helles probably can't do with much more than that.  Add CaCl to get your calcium up.  Also, I have been doing a small FWH addition and then a bittering addition to get total hops around 20 IBU.  Which yeast are you using?

#66 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 18 February 2019 - 09:01 AM

JB, also... don't add any sulfate to our water (are you on Lake Michigan water?).  We already have about 27ppm of SO4 and a helles probably can't do with much more than that.  Add CaCl to get your calcium up.  Also, I have been doing a small FWH addition and then a bittering addition to get total hops around 20 IBU.  Which yeast are you using?

I'm actually on Well water over here, but we have an RO for our drinking water, so I'm using that. My hardness is so high that I'm probably in range of that after the filter (they said it takes out about 96% of everything).

As for CaCl, I don't have any in my brew supply, but is there a household equivalent? I have gypsum on hand though. Good enough?

And I'll be using Omega's Bayern yeast.

Thanks guys!

#67 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 18 February 2019 - 09:09 AM

I'm actually on Well water over here, but we have an RO for our drinking water, so I'm using that. My hardness is so high that I'm probably in range of that after the filter (they said it takes out about 96% of everything).

As for CaCl, I don't have any in my brew supply, but is there a household equivalent? I have gypsum on hand though. Good enough?

And I'll be using Omega's Bayern yeast.

Thanks guys!

For CaCL I use this.  Got it at Walmart but many places have it

https://www.amazon.c...I9CNL93O4X&th=1

#68 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 18 February 2019 - 09:18 AM

For CaCL I use this.  Got it at Walmart but many places have it

https://www.amazon.c...I9CNL93O4X&th=1

Nice! thanks

#69 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 18 February 2019 - 09:28 AM

If you end up with NO sulfate in the water because of the RO, you can add some.  As mentioned I have 27ppm and I do not add any more sulfate to the water and my helles is still 'crisp'.  I wouldn't want it much crisper than that since a helles should be soft and "round".  Also, the Omega Bayern is quickly becoming one of my favorite lager yeasts... it SCREAMS German.  It's supposed to be Augustiner's yeast.  Cheers and enjoy.  

#70 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 18 February 2019 - 10:47 AM

That's good to know Ken, thanks for sharing!

#71 LeftyMPfrmDE

LeftyMPfrmDE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 592 posts
  • LocationDelaware

Posted 18 February 2019 - 11:53 AM

Posted the recipe in the recipe forum here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users