#1 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 29 January 2019 - 05:35 AM

I need a good idea for 10 pounds of Vienna and Staro Prague.  I have a Rye Pils on tap and I'm not feeling Vienna Lager love.  I want to possibly add some caramel to the Vienna and maybe late hop and DH some nobles and pitch on the cake, but nothing is really coming to my head.  Nothing dark and malty....  Hoping to brew XXX on Saturday.  Celia and Hall Blanc?  Mandarina and XX?  

Signed,

In a Quandary

#2 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18066 posts

Posted 29 January 2019 - 05:39 AM

Have you contemplated a Smash IPL with it?  

#3 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 29 January 2019 - 05:42 AM

Have you contemplated a Smash IPL with it?  

Interesting.  I know IPL's are a thing, can't say I've had one.  Would you be suggesting American Citrus type hops?  Can't visualize or "tastualize" how those would play with a lager yeast.

#4 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 29 January 2019 - 05:51 AM

Interesting.  I know IPL's are a thing, can't say I've had one.  Would you be suggesting American Citrus type hops?  Can't visualize or "tastualize" how those would play with a lager yeast.

American "C" hops play nicely with 34/70; I'd imagine they'd do well with Staro, too.  Only one way to find out.

#5 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18066 posts

Posted 29 January 2019 - 05:51 AM

Yes, I would use an american hop.  We have a brewery here, Jack's Abby, that only does lagers and they do a fair share of  hoppy ones.  They are excellent IMO.  I would say a Vienna/centennial smash would be a very nice drinking beer.  JA best known hoppy beer is Hoponius Union and that a a Citra/Centennial blend.  Granted the Munich will make for a more malty beer but with enough hop backbone I think it could turn out to be a nice drinker.

#6 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 29 January 2019 - 05:59 AM

American "C" hops play nicely with 34/70; I'd imagine they'd do well with Staro, too.  Only one way to find out.

I'm digging what you're laying down

Yes, I would use an american hop.  We have a brewery here, Jack's Abby, that only does lagers and they do a fair share of  hoppy ones.  They are excellent IMO.  I would say a Vienna/centennial smash would be a very nice drinking beer.  JA best known hoppy beer is Hoponius Union and that a a Citra/Centennial blend.  Granted the Munich will make for a more malty beer but with enough hop backbone I think it could turn out to be a nice drinker.

No Centennial.  Yes, Cascade, Simcoe, 007, Amarillo, El Dorado, Hall Blanc, Mandarina, Mosaic, Moteuka. 

#7 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18066 posts

Posted 29 January 2019 - 06:08 AM

I'm digging what you're laying down

No Centennial.  Yes, Cascade, Simcoe, 007, Amarillo, El Dorado, Hall Blanc, Mandarina, Mosaic, Moteuka. 

Cascade, Simcoe and Amarillo scream out to me from that list with a bit of El Dorado mixed into the DH blend.

#8 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 29 January 2019 - 06:10 AM

Cascade, Simcoe and Amarillo scream out to me from that list with a bit of El Dorado mixed into the DH blend.

Run the wheels off it huh  :D

#9 LeftyMPfrmDE

LeftyMPfrmDE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 592 posts
  • LocationDelaware

Posted 29 January 2019 - 08:43 AM

El Dorado and Mosaic are a favorite DH combo of mine. can't go wrong. 

#10 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 29 January 2019 - 09:32 AM

Yes, I would use an american hop. We have a brewery here, Jack's Abby, that only does lagers and they do a fair share of hoppy ones. They are excellent IMO. I would say a Vienna/centennial smash would be a very nice drinking beer. JA best known hoppy beer is Hoponius Union and that a a Citra/Centennial blend. Granted the Munich will make for a more malty beer but with enough hop backbone I think it could turn out to be a nice drinker.

Do you have any details on that beer? I find it to be over of the best IPLs out there. The lager aspect is minimal so it doesn't clash with the hops. How do they pull that off?

#11 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18066 posts

Posted 29 January 2019 - 10:11 AM

Do you have any details on that beer? I find it to be over of the best IPLs out there. The lager aspect is minimal so it doesn't clash with the hops. How do they pull that off?

I have a copy of the BYO recipe.  I really enjoy that beer and most beers JA puts out.  The Craft Beer and Brewing podcast with the Owner was a really good one.  They work hard at those beers that is for sure.

#12 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 29 January 2019 - 11:07 AM

I have a copy of the BYO recipe.  I really enjoy that beer and most beers JA puts out.  The Craft Beer and Brewing podcast with the Owner was a really good one.  They work hard at those beers that is for sure.

That was a good podcast.  We get some JA down here from time to time.  Seems like my kind of brewery.

#13 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 29 January 2019 - 11:25 AM

I have a copy of the BYO recipe. I really enjoy that beer and most beers JA puts out. The Craft Beer and Brewing podcast with the Owner was a really good one. They work hard at those beers that is for sure.

Was there any info on what yeast they use?

#14 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18066 posts

Posted 29 January 2019 - 12:05 PM

Was there any info on what yeast they use?

BYO stated WLP830 or 2124.  There was no yeast talk on the podcast but they did mention for House Lager they spund.  They seem to follow German brewing practices.

#15 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 29 January 2019 - 02:47 PM

BYO stated WLP830 or 2124. There was no yeast talk on the podcast but they did mention for House Lager they spund. They seem to follow German brewing practices.

I've tried ipl before but I found the lager aspect interfered a little more than I would like if I'm remembering it correctly. Pretty sure I used 2124 or the dry equivalent.

#16 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 30 January 2019 - 05:53 AM

I've tried ipl before but I found the lager aspect interfered a little more than I would like if I'm remembering it correctly. Pretty sure I used 2124 or the dry equivalent.

This is what I'm leary of using Pac NW hops for example.

#17 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18066 posts

Posted 30 January 2019 - 06:16 AM

This is what I'm leary of using Pac NW hops for example.

I used 34/70 on mine and had no issues.  I mean 34/70 is a very clean yeast and I do not see it doing much to mess up the beer.  

#18 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 30 January 2019 - 06:31 AM

I used 34/70 on mine and had no issues.  I mean 34/70 is a very clean yeast and I do not see it doing much to mess up the beer.  

I can vouch for this.  I have an IPL on tap now (a lager version of Great Lakes' Burning River Ale) and it's damned tasty.  Magnum to bitter and all Cascade for the late additions.

Cleaner than the commercial version (not a surprise, as they used 1028 London Ale and I used 34/70 in my version); this one is on my short list to re-brew.

Will post a pic in the pic-pint thread later to show (off) my work.

#19 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 30 January 2019 - 06:32 AM

I agree and I also think that the Staro Prague is pretty clean.  I'm working up a hop schedule that involves Celia and Hallertau Blanc.  Both whirlpool and DH and also a couple three ounces of each.  Still tinkering but somehow I think a high hop with these might play well with a lager yeast.

#20 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18066 posts

Posted 30 January 2019 - 06:38 AM

I agree and I also think that the Staro Prague is pretty clean.  I'm working up a hop schedule that involves Celia and Hallertau Blanc.  Both whirlpool and DH and also a couple three ounces of each.  Still tinkering but somehow I think a high hop with these might play well with a lager yeast.

4oz in the boil late

4oz in the WP sub 160* 

4 oz in the DH

Drink .. smile ..enjoy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users