#1 CarlosM

CarlosM

Señor Joykill

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12344 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 09 November 2009 - 01:17 PM

why cant we use it with hot water. I normally use hot water when sanitizing and just read the label after the fact to not use hot water why is that?I hope i didnt screw my keg up haha.

#2 RommelMagic

RommelMagic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • LocationHighland Falls, NY

Posted 09 November 2009 - 02:19 PM

I think it might have to do with the iodophor entering into steam from the hot water - something you don't want to inhale.That's my guess

#3 shmgeggie

shmgeggie

Comptroller of Mythical Creatures

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9205 posts
  • LocationPort Orchard, WA

Posted 09 November 2009 - 02:26 PM

Why not just use it as directed? It works fine with cold water.

#4 MakeMeHoppy

MakeMeHoppy

Redundancy Comptroller of Redundancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts
  • LocationSlower Lower Delaware

Posted 09 November 2009 - 02:54 PM

I believe the heat causes the iodine to evaporate. I read that on the bottle recently and switched from warm water to cold.EDIT for clarity:If the iodine evaporates out you no longer have a sanitizing solution.

#5 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 09 November 2009 - 06:21 PM

Hmm I never realized that it was meant to be used with cold water. I have been using hot for a long time. Oh well thanks for the heads up. I will switch now. Never had any sanitation issues though when I have used the water hot as well.

#6 CarlosM

CarlosM

Señor Joykill

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12344 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 09 November 2009 - 08:09 PM

Why not just use it as directed? It works fine with cold water.

I just looked at how much I needed to use, didnt quite fully read everything else. But I will use as directed I do not want any bugs in my booze!

#7 CarlosM

CarlosM

Señor Joykill

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12344 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 09 November 2009 - 08:10 PM

I believe the heat causes the iodine to evaporate. I read that on the bottle recently and switched from warm water to cold.EDIT for clarity:If the iodine evaporates out you no longer have a sanitizing solution.

I knew I wasnt the only one!

#8 ANUSTART

ANUSTART

The Drunk Dump Truck Euphanism.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3268 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 10 November 2009 - 08:09 AM

I always use warm water, it makes it easier to attach tubing that's been sitting in the sanitizer and I can use the water coming out of my immersion chiller. I always add too much iodophor anyway. If you can see the tint, you're using too much. Just make it strong and don't worry about evaporation.

#9 *_Guest_Matt C_*

*_Guest_Matt C_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 November 2009 - 12:39 PM

why cant we use it with hot water. I normally use hot water when sanitizing and just read the label after the fact to not use hot water why is that?I hope i didnt screw my keg up haha.

I would just switch to Starsan. Hot or cold won't matter then. And starsan won't stain your equip or evaporate either.

#10 ANUSTART

ANUSTART

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3268 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 10 November 2009 - 01:26 PM

Star san costs more and is harsh on your hands. Why pay more for something that does just as good a job?

#11 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 10 November 2009 - 01:28 PM

Star san costs more and is harsh on your hands. Why pay more for something that does just as good a job?

Because I can wear gloves and reuse it.

#12 ANUSTART

ANUSTART

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3268 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 10 November 2009 - 02:28 PM

Because I can wear gloves and reuse it.

Oh.. so now I gotta go out and buy gloves!? You think money grows on trees?! :blink:I spent ~$10 on a big thing of Iodophor 50-something batches ago and I still have 1/4 of the bottle left. I'm usually pretty wasteful with the stuff and don't have to worry about reusing it.

#13 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 10 November 2009 - 02:39 PM

Oh.. so now I gotta go out and buy gloves!? You think money grows on trees?! :blink:

No, of course not. Money comes from big name colleges and is used to pay off football officials. Duh.

I spent ~$10 on a big thing of Iodophor 50-something batches ago and I still have 1/4 of the bottle left. I'm usually pretty wasteful with the stuff and don't have to worry about reusing it.

Ok, so it's comparable to SaniClean & StarSan then. Good to know.

#14 CarlosM

CarlosM

Señor Joykill

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12344 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 10 November 2009 - 03:31 PM

yea star sand is way to expensive and well for 10 bucks Iodophor hits the budget for me just right.

#15 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 10 November 2009 - 03:51 PM

yea star san is way too expensive and well for 10 bucks Iodophor hits the budget for me just right.

They both work great so I'm not kicking dirt on iodophor but I don't understand why that extra $2 for StarSan breaks the bank.

#16 MakeMeHoppy

MakeMeHoppy

Redundancy Comptroller of Redundancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts
  • LocationSlower Lower Delaware

Posted 10 November 2009 - 06:17 PM

My lhbs carries Iodaphor and I have to internet order star san. So it isn't just a couple bucks different because of the shipping. Next online order I may get some just to see how I like the star san.

#17 HokieTrismegistus

HokieTrismegistus

Not HokieBrewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2800 posts
  • LocationVirginia Beach

Posted 10 November 2009 - 07:57 PM

I thought it had a guide on the bottle that discussed the different efficasies of the solution at different temps, and that it functioned best slightly warmer? Or have the years of boozing started to become false memories?

#18 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 11 November 2009 - 05:59 AM

Oh.. so now I gotta go out and buy gloves!? You think money grows on trees?! :blink: ...

Here you go you cheap bastage!https://www.harborfr...Itemnumber=8936

Edited by Stout_fan, 11 November 2009 - 06:00 AM.

#19 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

Comptroller of Some Stuff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 11 November 2009 - 01:44 PM

Wow, I have never noticed Star San to be rough on my hands...plus I ordered a 32oz at brewmasters warehouse for 14.99 when the LHBS sells a 16oz for that much...that should last me prob a year and a half...

#20 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 11 November 2009 - 01:49 PM

Wow, I have never noticed Star San to be rough on my hands...

I have. Back before I stopped sanitizing caps, I was bottling a batch and the caps were soaking in StarSan. So for every bottle I had to reach in with my left hand, pull out a cap and place it on the bottle before I crimped it. The next day my left hand was very dry and the skin was peeling. Ever since then I've worn gloves when handling StarSan or (these days) SaniClean.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users