#1 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26737 posts
  • LocationKC - Kansas side

Posted 23 January 2019 - 05:04 PM

They're hitting the stores around here.  I think I'll stock up to juice and freeze for several things.  Any thoughts on using the juice in an Am Wheat or Wit (as in how much and when)?

#2 ER Pemberton

ER Pemberton

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32005 posts

Posted 24 January 2019 - 11:00 AM

At some point I was playing with the idea of a lemon wheat.  I think I actually brewed a couple (with zest and/or juice) and I may have added that at flameout.  What I got was a beer that had a muted citrus flavor.  It was fine but not what I envisioned.  For future batches I ended just brewing the wheat beer by itself and ended up making a beer that you could drink by itself or squeeze a lemon wedge into it when you tap it if you wanted that fresh citrus flavor.  Not sure if that translates to the oranges or not.  I could see a beer with 50% 2-row, 50% wheat, just one clean hop addition at the start of the boil to get the beer to 20-25 IBUs and made with a clean yeast like 1056 or even 2112 (okay, throw 1450 in there too :P) and drink it by itself or squeeze a wedge of orange into it when you tap it.  

#3 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32537 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 24 January 2019 - 09:34 PM

You could make a blue moon clone and call it blood moon.

#4 LeftyMPfrmDE

LeftyMPfrmDE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 371 posts
  • LocationDelaware

Posted 04 February 2019 - 09:33 AM

Long ago, i did a lemon APA; two ounces of lemon zest, and soaked in in grain alcohol while the beer fermented, but I'm sure vodka would give the same result. Added the tincture at packaging- 1 to 2 oz, IIRC. The lemon flavor lasted all the while in that keg; it gave that fresh citrus flavor, but kept it in check without being distracting or tasting like lemoncello.

Edited by LeftyMPfrmDE, 04 February 2019 - 09:36 AM.

#5 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34551 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 15 February 2019 - 06:50 AM

I would add it at the end of fermentation. Some folks might be worried about contamination, but at the end of fermentation, the pH and alcohol help keep that in check and if you crash it and keep it cold you’ve got almost no chance of an infection popping out. These days I only use aseptic purée for cleanliness, consistency, and overall ease of use.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users