#1 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 22 January 2019 - 07:00 PM

1450, probably my most used yeast. How did it get named after you? Where did it come from? It would make a good fire side story.

#2 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9090 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 23 January 2019 - 11:34 AM

OK, here we go...if you've heard this before, please move along....

Many years ago (20ish) I decided I wanted to get into yeast ranching.  I bought equipment and some slants from an LA company called Brewtek.  One of the slants I got was called CL50 CA Brewpub yeast (I have no idea what the brewpub was).  I was working on developing my Rye IPA recipe at the time and found CL50 to be very complementary.  I started talking it up online (at that point, online was a Usenet discussion grould named rec.crafts.brewing).  People were very interested, but few wanted to deal with culturing and replating every few months.  I kept up the reculturing and used it a lot.  A couple years later, I was elected to the AHA Governing Committee and met Dave Logsdon, who owned Wyeast at the time.  I tried to get him to take it on, but he wasn't interested as long as it was available elsewhere.  A couple years later, Brewtek closed down and the strain was shuffled from one company to another.  I ordered a couple new slants just before the last company closed (since then, I've found it's available from Brewing Science Inc.).  At that point, Dave decided to take it on.  He got one of the slants from my yeast fridge, so when you use 1450 today it originally lived in my fridge.  I tried to get them to call it Noti (name of VERY small town close to me) Pub Yeast, but Dave decided Denny's Favorite would sell better.

#3 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16523 posts

Posted 23 January 2019 - 11:51 AM

OK, here we go...if you've heard this before, please move along....

Many years ago (20ish) I decided I wanted to get into yeast ranching.  I bought equipment and some slants from an LA company called Brewtek.  One of the slants I got was called CL50 CA Brewpub yeast (I have no idea what the brewpub was).  I was working on developing my Rye IPA recipe at the time and found CL50 to be very complementary.  I started talking it up online (at that point, online was a Usenet discussion grould named rec.crafts.brewing).  People were very interested, but few wanted to deal with culturing and replating every few months.  I kept up the reculturing and used it a lot.  A couple years later, I was elected to the AHA Governing Committee and met Dave Logsdon, who owned Wyeast at the time.  I tried to get him to take it on, but he wasn't interested as long as it was available elsewhere.  A couple years later, Brewtek closed down and the strain was shuffled from one company to another.  I ordered a couple new slants just before the last company closed (since then, I've found it's available from Brewing Science Inc.).  At that point, Dave decided to take it on.  He got one of the slants from my yeast fridge, so when you use 1450 today it originally lived in my fridge.  I tried to get them to call it Noti (name of VERY small town close to me) Pub Yeast, but Dave decided Denny's Favorite would sell better.

Thanks for sharing. How much do you still use it?

#4 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9090 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 23 January 2019 - 12:02 PM

Thanks for sharing. How much do you still use it?

I'd say 80% of the time as a rough guess.  For pretty much everything not Belgian or a lager.

#5 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 23 January 2019 - 01:50 PM

I should probably brew something with it... have never used it.   :huh:

#6 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9090 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 23 January 2019 - 02:05 PM

I should probably brew something with it... have never used it.   :huh:

Your loss.... :D

#7 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 23 January 2019 - 02:42 PM

I have gotten over my initial dislike for 1450 an use it often now. Have a 1450 beer on tap presently. My issues were all around attenuation.

1450 even makes a dandy NEIPA :)

#8 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16523 posts

Posted 23 January 2019 - 02:59 PM

I should probably brew something with it... have never used it. :huh:

Next time you want to make a run of ales with 1056 or 1028 go ahead and sub in the 1450. Its good stuff.

#9 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9090 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 23 January 2019 - 03:07 PM

I have gotten over my initial dislike for 1450 an use it often now. Have a 1450 beer on tap presently. My issues were all around attenuation.

1450 even makes a dandy NEIPA :)

I'll take your word for it!  Dunno why you had attenuation issues.

#10 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 23 January 2019 - 04:03 PM

Next time you want to make a run of ales with 1056 or 1028 go ahead and sub in the 1450. Its good stuff.

You know me well.  1056 and some of the British strains do a lot of work here like 1099, 1468 and 1028.  What specific characteristics does 1450 have?  I remember some strains that I had never used like "Pacman" and some sort of San Diego Superyeast (WLP090 or something) and everyone said they were neutral but I did not care for them... fruity and/or belgiany to me.  1450 isn't going to do that to me, is it?  :P

#11 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 23 January 2019 - 04:32 PM

You know me well.  1056 and some of the British strains do a lot of work here like 1099, 1468 and 1028.  What specific characteristics does 1450 have?  I remember some strains that I had never used like "Pacman" and some sort of San Diego Superyeast (WLP090 or something) and everyone said they were neutral but I did not care for them... fruity and/or belgiany to me.  1450 isn't going to do that to me, is it?  :P

for me it's like the best parts of american yeast and the best parts of english yeast combined.  no crazy esters, not completely neutral but in a good way.  ferments things out reasonably well but also leaves some nice malt character.

#12 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16523 posts

Posted 23 January 2019 - 07:05 PM

It has always attenuated well for me. Usually about as much as 1056 or a point or 2 less. It leaves behind a nice full mouthfeel without under-attenuating or leaving the beer sweet. I think the yeast itself produces some compound that gives the mouthfeel so it's not from sugar left behind. Lets both malt and hops shine, IMO.

ETA: It's clean. If you get fruity or Belgian characteristics from it then something went very wrong.

Edited by neddles, 23 January 2019 - 07:07 PM.

#13 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 23 January 2019 - 07:13 PM

I'll take your word for it! Dunno why you had attenuation issues.

Neither do I so it has to be something process related because I have not had any issues in a few years. I do love the mouthfeel of the final beer though.

Ken, I find 1450 close to 1272 but better.
I think you would like it.

#14 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9090 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 24 January 2019 - 10:54 AM

Amazingly silky mouthfeel is what I like about it.

Neither do I so it has to be something process related because I have not had any issues in a few years. I do love the mouthfeel of the final beer though.

Ken, I find 1450 close to 1272 but better.
I think you would like it.

Funny you should say that...1272 was my go to yeast until I discovered 1450.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users