#1 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 16 January 2019 - 06:59 AM

I have a batch of pale ale I'm about to Keg. It's already cold and carbonated in my sanke fermenter. In the past when I've tried to pour into Mason jars from this vessel I've had a couple of problems.

1. Since I'm carbonating in the primary there is a good amount of foam after I swirl it to free the yeast up. This means it makes a mess when I pour into a mason jar.

2. The foam also means I don't get as much yeast as I probably should.

So I'm thinking of just sanitizing one of my old 5 gallon ale pails and dumping "a bunch" of the yeast and stuff in there. I should be able to keep it cold in the chest freezer for a day until it's time to pitch.

Any problem keeping it in the bucket? I'll obviously put a lid and airlock on it. I was also thinking maybe I'll quick boil a little wort and chill it to throw it into the bucket early in the brew day to give my yaest friends a head start.

Edited by pickle_rick, 16 January 2019 - 06:59 AM.

#2 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 07:14 AM

I like the idea of a little starter wort added to it to get them all happy and ready.  I think it should be fine.  I have done similar with a 5l flask.  I have also contemplated just racking the beer off and hitting the fermetner with some CO2 and pump the wort on top after chilled.  I know it would be an over-pitch but maybe for a big beer it would be OK.

#3 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 16 January 2019 - 07:53 AM

I like the idea of a little starter wort added to it to get them all happy and ready. I think it should be fine. I have done similar with a 5l flask. I have also contemplated just racking the beer off and hitting the fermetner with some CO2 and pump the wort on top after chilled. I know it would be an over-pitch but maybe for a big beer it would be OK.

I considered that. It is still an option. It would certainly be less work for me ;)

#4 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 16 January 2019 - 08:43 AM

I kind of wonder if I just dumped some out and left a reasonable amount in there if that would be better. I could clean up the lid area with starsan. Any reason not to do this?

#5 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 08:46 AM

I kind of wonder if I just dumped some out and left a reasonable amount in there if that would be better. I could clean up the lid area with starsan. Any reason not to do this?

I have not been able to think of an issue.  Maybe if the beer left in there is dark and you are doing something light it could cause an off flavor but other than that I can not come up with a reason it will not work.

#6 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 16 January 2019 - 08:49 AM

I have not been able to think of an issue. Maybe if the beer left in there is dark and you are doing something light it could cause an off flavor but other than that I can not come up with a reason it will not work.

Dipa on top of pale ale.

#7 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 08:53 AM

Dipa on top of pale ale.

For me that sounds like no issues at all.  

#8 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 18 January 2019 - 09:28 AM

so I pulled off half a gallon of first runnings and half a gallon of my small (3gal) sparge and boiled them for about 15 minutes, chilled, dumped in the fermentor and now I'm occasionally picking up the sanke and giving it a healthy shake while I go about my boil.  seems like it should work pretty well.

I also blew out the dip tube with some starsan.  not sure if that was needed but it seemed like a good idea at the time  :scratch:

#9 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 19 January 2019 - 09:09 AM

so the fermenation is going at a pretty good clip less than 24 hours in despite the fact that I accidentally chilled the wort down to about 58F.  I did use the space heater to get things into the low 60s.

another note:  I did put a teeny amount of my boil brewtan into the "starter" wort.  I also threw in a few pellets of columbus that was going to go into the boil.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users