21 replies to this topic

#1 weep er

weep er

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7471 posts

Posted 13 January 2019 - 04:16 PM

So I’m thinking of joining a group trip to Scotland. Airfare is not included in the price.

The trip is already too expensive, but I’m willing to treat myself if I can get a cheap flight. It’s looking like airfare is anywhere from 900-1200 for the week I need to go.

Is there any trickery behind the whole airline miles thing?

Looks like I can apply for a CC that gives me 10k miles if I spend $500 in 90 days. Not sure what the limitations are.

Any other ideas for me?

#2 Ineedacatscan

Ineedacatscan

Comptroller of BAW!!!1!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3571 posts

Posted 13 January 2019 - 04:22 PM

Unless you’re a regular flier, especially on your company’s dime. It’s just not worth the effort. You’re better off bargain hunting your tickets than shacking up with a particular airline. You need so many miles to get status or a free/discounted ticket it that unless your flying regularly on standard price (not the heavily discounted fares) tickets. That you’ll lose hundreds of dollars because you needed to fly delta or whatever to accumulate miles.

#3 Car ChuckRam

Car ChuckRam

Rami!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7967 posts

Posted 13 January 2019 - 04:29 PM

Alaska I think is the only airline with no minimum spend, and no purchase thingy to get 20K bonus miles when you sign up for their credit card.

#4 weep er

weep er

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7471 posts

Posted 13 January 2019 - 04:30 PM

Ok. I was worried about that.

I downloaded an app called Hopper that supposed watches fares

#5 Julius H Gardetto

Julius H Gardetto

Comptroller of Delusional Berkley Hippie Types

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21730 posts

Posted 13 January 2019 - 04:51 PM

Totally worth it, as long as you don’t care about opening a card solely for that purpose. I do it all the time, and it doesn’t affect my credit score.

It helps I run most of my bills through CCs, and pay off every month. Delta usually has enough for a couple of tickets as a sign up bonus, but you have to run $5k or something through in three months.

#6 weep er

weep er

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7471 posts

Posted 13 January 2019 - 04:54 PM

Same here. I can easily spend 3k in 90 days because I autopay most bills. 5k wouldn’t be difficult if I put the trip cost itself on the card.

#7 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3064 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 13 January 2019 - 05:58 PM

United explorer card was 70k miles when i signed up. That should be enough for round trip to Europe. Chase Sapphire Reserve was 100k miles and could be enough for 2 round trip tickets.

#8 SnowMan

SnowMan

Advanced Snowman

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7204 posts
  • LocationSunman, IN

Posted 13 January 2019 - 06:56 PM

If you want maximum flexibility you can't beat the chase cards. They far and away have the best programs out there. Saphire, saphire reserve.

If you're going to be loyal to an airline, and this really helps if your employer is buying tickets, then some of the airline specific programs can be better bang for the $ when you consider the extra side benefits the cards can bring.
If you want maximum flexibility you can't beat the chase cards. They far and away have the best programs out there. Saphire, saphire reserve.

If you're going to be loyal to an airline, and this really helps if your employer is buying tickets, then some of the airline specific programs can be better bang for the $ when you consider the extra side benefits the cards can bring.

#9 Dave McG

Dave McG

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4822 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 13 January 2019 - 08:00 PM

I keep thinking about getting a Southwest card. I live right by MDW, their hub, so it's easy for me, but I only fly once every few years. It has an annual fee but it sounds like miles add up fast. Maybe one day I'll take a vacation that does not include a kayak. Nah.

#10 DieselGopher

DieselGopher

Executive Director of Whatnot and what not

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10955 posts
  • Locationhanging around

Posted 13 January 2019 - 09:23 PM

Whatever airline card you get, check to see if they have a “downgrade” path. I fly Delta mostly, so I know those best. You might get a higher signup bonus on a card with an annual fee. Use that bonus for the trip, then after 1 year you can downgrade the card to a free version with no annual fee. Your credit score benefits by not closing the account, and you can upgrade the card in the future if you want the better benefits of the paid cards.

#11 Hillbilly Deluxe

Hillbilly Deluxe

Comptroller of MS Paint Diagrams

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2311 posts
  • LocationMidwest

Posted 14 January 2019 - 01:37 PM

My wife and I have Flex Perks Travel Rewards CC’s. Well worth it.

#12 weep er

weep er

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7471 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 03:37 PM

United explorer card was 70k miles when i signed up. That should be enough for round trip to Europe. Chase Sapphire Reserve was 100k miles and could be enough for 2 round trip tickets.

I checked into these two last night. Currently, United is 40k miles and Sapphire Reserve is 50k miles upfront. Sapphire has a 450 annual fee

#13 weep er

weep er

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7471 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 03:40 PM

Whatever airline card you get, check to see if they have a “downgrade” path. I fly Delta mostly, so I know those best. You might get a higher signup bonus on a card with an annual fee. Use that bonus for the trip, then after 1 year you can downgrade the card to a free version with no annual fee. Your credit score benefits by not closing the account, and you can upgrade the card in the future if you want the better benefits of the paid cards.

Right. I see. I’m really not a “traveler” so I’m just trying to get something to defray the cost of this one big trip.

Here’s what I’m looking at, by the way... not committed to spending this amount of money yet but the experience is really appealing to me. They’re mixing my favorite musician with a highly desirable travel destination (in my opinion)

https://benfoldsscotlandgetaway.com

#14 Julius H Gardetto

Julius H Gardetto

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21730 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 03:43 PM

I go backwards and see what flights out of PHL work beat for this, and check into airline/travel cards from there.

#15 weep er

weep er

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7471 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 03:46 PM

I go backwards and see what flights out of PHL work beat for this, and check into airline/travel cards from there.

Ok

Actually seems like it’s cheaper to fly out of NYC to Scotland. It’s a bigger pain in the ass for me, though. It’s at least 300 difference

This shit is a lot of work.

#16 Julius H Gardetto

Julius H Gardetto

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21730 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 04:15 PM

Ok

Actually seems like it’s cheaper to fly out of NYC to Scotland. It’s a bigger pain in the ass for me, though. It’s at least 300 difference

Look at what works best schedule wise out of both airports, then check the price of the tickets in rewards points. See what cars will give you enough to cover that ticket.

#17 weep er

weep er

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7471 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 04:23 PM

Ok thanks

#18 Car ChuckRam

Car ChuckRam

Rami!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7967 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 04:26 PM

Ok

I’m finding under a G EWR to EDI for 13JUL-20JUL. I’m using Momondo

#19 Dave McG

Dave McG

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4822 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 14 January 2019 - 04:40 PM

That trip looks awesome. Add some days if possible, four sounds like a teaser.

#20 SnowMan

SnowMan

Advanced Snowman

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7204 posts
  • LocationSunman, IN

Posted 14 January 2019 - 07:31 PM

https://benfoldsscotlandgetaway.com

That looks like an awful vacation honestly. Your time is scheduled neck deep, and you're limited to their prechosen schedule and destinations.

I'd guess you can do a whole lot better, for the same money on your own. Probably double the nights I'd swag. Not sure, I've never been to Scotland.

I suppose if you're a Ben Folds super fan, it might be cool to do some of the stuff with him. But it looks like your time with him is minimal. And don't forget, he's getting a cut too... I'd buy a couple CDs and listen to them in the evenings after enjoying extra days in Scotland.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users