7 replies to this topic

#1 BarefootBrews

BarefootBrews

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 13 January 2019 - 12:28 AM

Am a long time board member.  Not active so much, but am old greenboard age member.

Gotta love getting a C&D letter.  Barefoot winery all of a sudden sends me C&D letter saying that I cannot use their name.   WTF.  I'm submitting the name Barefoot on a social media since who knows.  Not trying to gain off your name (which imo sucks in the wine world).  

#2 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 13 January 2019 - 05:39 AM

how would they even find you?  are they going to go through the trouble of determining who you really are?

Edited by pickle_rick, 13 January 2019 - 05:41 AM.

#3 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 13 January 2019 - 10:42 AM

Wow that's crap. I'm not a lawyer but I don't think they can claim a name that's based on a common word or phrase like that. If you were using their logo that would be different, but it's just words. If it were me I'd do as much as possible to drag their ass through the mud without spending any money because that's a assholeish thing to do to someone. They've been in business since 1986 so you might have a tough time if you decide to fight it. They make shit wine though.

how would they even find you?  are they going to go through the trouble of determining who you really are?

They must have since they sent him a C&D. Not like you can do that digitally through a PM.

#4 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 13 January 2019 - 02:20 PM

Wow that's crap. I'm not a lawyer but I don't think they can claim a name that's based on a common word or phrase like that. If you were using their logo that would be different, but it's just words. If it were me I'd do as much as possible to drag their ass through the mud without spending any money because that's a assholeish thing to do to someone. They've been in business since 1986 so you might have a tough time if you decide to fight it. They make shit wine though.

They must have since they sent him a C&D. Not like you can do that digitally through a PM.

I guess that's true. I'm surprised they didn't contact digitally first to talk it over.

#5 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 13 January 2019 - 05:03 PM

This happened to a guy I know here. He got a C&D from Schilling Beer Company to stop using the name Schilling. The guy that got the letter has the last name Schilling and was just a homebrew at the time. Pretty sure they framed the letter.

#6 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 13 January 2019 - 05:13 PM

This happened to a guy I know here. He got a C&D from Schilling Beer Company to stop using the name Schilling. The guy that got the letter has the last name Schilling and was just a homebrew at the time. Pretty sure they framed the letter.

the little guys in littleton throwing their weight around!

#7 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 13 January 2019 - 05:27 PM

the little guys in littleton throwing their weight around!

Business is business! SN had to get permission from them to name their beer for the California fires since it was named Resilience and that is the ale side of the business. Got to protect your marks.

#8 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 13 January 2019 - 06:53 PM

I hope he told them to pound sand.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users