Just read all of Pemberton's threads.

#4 SugarTits

SugarTits

Comptroller of Nothing

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41763 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 09:27 AM

Expect another metabolism slowdown and a need to exam how many calories you eat per day.

#5 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 29977 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 12 January 2019 - 09:37 AM

Bite me. :P

#6 Hines

Hines

Comptroller of Emus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7626 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 09:39 AM

I can literally send you pics of my polyps!

I find the older I get, the happier I get.

#7 Vagus

Vagus

Just had an organism

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37679 posts
  • LocationThere

Posted 12 January 2019 - 09:56 AM

I can literally send you pics of my polyps!

I find the older I get, the happier I get.

Interesting...

#8 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11661 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 10:16 AM

Increased rate of injury and slower recovery from both injury and when recovering from doing anything athletic/physical. Falling hurts more too. So stay active and dont fall when you do stuff.

#9 ER Pemberton

ER Pemberton

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31088 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 10:28 AM

Yes, all of the above.  I think that getting older starts a cycle of being more content and comfortable with who you are.  That doesn't mean that I tell people to get off my lawn more often :lol: but it's just being content with what you've done, where you are, etc.  I have three grown kids who are doing well.  My house is almost paid off.  I'm probably 6-7 years from retiring.  As neddles said, stay active.  I try to do that every day.  I ride the ever-loving shit out of my bike when the weather is warm.  I try not to focus on all of the things that start to happen when you're in your 50s.  I've mentioned this before but my dad is 90... still bowls in a league, still walks and rides his bike, still golfs, goes fishing (both 'normal' and 'ice') and he still drives.  He never seems to be "down" to me.  He's always happy and his outlook is rosy although sometimes it's "realistic".  My dad always says, "The clock only goes one way" but it never seems to get him down.

#10 TonyBrown

TonyBrown

Comptroller of C-Blocking and Wet Streak Marks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 56165 posts
  • LocationAntioch, IL

Posted 12 January 2019 - 10:29 AM

Increased rate of injury and slower recovery from both injury and when recovering from doing anything athletic/physical. Falling hurts more too. So stay active and dont fall when you do stuff.

this

I'll also add the following:

I can still party like a rockstar, I just can't recover like one. 

Popcorn wrecks my guts (probably the shells shredding my intestines).

some complain about increased incidents of heartburn though I haven't had a problem with that yet

feet/knee/back pain is increased in general

weight loss is tougher, weight gain is easier

little blue pills start looking like a good idea

afternoon naps look like an even better idea

#11 Vagus

Vagus

Just had an organism

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37679 posts
  • LocationThere

Posted 12 January 2019 - 10:30 AM

Getting old sounds horrible. 

#12 ER Pemberton

ER Pemberton

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31088 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 10:35 AM

No naps.  :lol:

The more I think about it, the more I feel like your older years will be as good as you have prepared for.  I had lunch this week with three guys who are all wrecked... high blood pressure, type 2 diabetes, one guy has had two strokes.  These are things that are avoidable if you just realize that you have to stay active and be mindful of what you eat.  My dad still drinks beer every day.  I like my beer and I have very few other vices (I have a cigar about once or twice a year).  I would hate to be 60+ and find out that I killed myself with bad food, no exercise, etc.  Take care of yourself and your older years will be much better.

#13 Trub L

Trub L

Hooked on a Feelin

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 100217 posts
  • LocationIn the Middle

Posted 12 January 2019 - 10:43 AM

Yes, all of the above. I think that getting older starts a cycle of being more content and comfortable with who you are. That doesn't mean that I tell people to get off my lawn more often :lol: but it's just being content with what you've done, where you are, etc. I have three grown kids who are doing well. My house is almost paid off. I'm probably 6-7 years from retiring. As neddles said, stay active. I try to do that every day. I ride the ever-loving shit out of my bike when the weather is warm. I try not to focus on all of the things that start to happen when you're in your 50s. I've mentioned this before but my dad is 90... still bowls in a league, still walks and rides his bike, still golfs, goes fishing (both 'normal' and 'ice') and he still drives. He never seems to be "down" to me. He's always happy and his outlook is rosy although sometimes it's "realistic". My dad always says, "The clock only goes one way" but it never seems to get him down.

My house is almost paid off, and i'm about 87 years from retiring.

#14 TonyBrown

TonyBrown

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 56165 posts
  • LocationAntioch, IL

Posted 12 January 2019 - 10:53 AM

I personally don't suffer from poor health problems as you mention.  I do have some aches/pains from poor judgement back in the day, I basically treated my body like i wasn't gonna see 30, low and behold I did.  tore up my knees in the army and years of playing soccer on astro-turf (this new field turf is a fecking revelation in comparison, wish they had that back in the day).  so i  have the aches/pains but when i go to the doc for my annual physical my blood pressure is typically about 110-120/60-70, cholesterol a bit high mostly cuz i'm overweight, no signs of being pre-diabetic, hypertensive or anything like that.  I do need to exercise more.  living and active lifestyle is definitely a good plan for being mobile and capable of other things late in life.

#15 ER Pemberton

ER Pemberton

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31088 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 11:08 AM

I would also say... make something to look forward to.  A hobby, a second career, something that you always wanted to do or never have the time to do.  When I was 38 I had been married for 11 years and I already had three kids.  Many of the things that I liked to do were shelved (fishing, going to baseball games, travel).  Plan to have something to do when you're older.  

#16 miccullen

miccullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 61588 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 12 January 2019 - 11:10 AM

sitting or standing will come with spontaneous self generated sound effects

#17 Dave McG

Dave McG

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4384 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 12 January 2019 - 11:35 AM

Around forty I started wishing I did lots of stretching or yoga in my late thirties. I'm very active, but my flexibility has gone to shit. I stretch more now, but I know I'm playing catch up to how I should be.

#18 Vagus

Vagus

Just had an organism

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37679 posts
  • LocationThere

Posted 12 January 2019 - 11:45 AM

I would also say... make something to look forward to.  A hobby, a second career, something that you always wanted to do or never have the time to do.  When I was 38 I had been married for 11 years and I already had three kids.  Many of the things that I liked to do were shelved (fishing, going to baseball games, travel).  Plan to have something to do when you're older.  

In a similar boat, but i'm only 36.  Oh and I don't moderate.

#19 TonyBrown

TonyBrown

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 56165 posts
  • LocationAntioch, IL

Posted 12 January 2019 - 11:46 AM

Around forty I started wishing I did lots of stretching or yoga in my late thirties. I'm very active, but my flexibility has gone to shit. I stretch more now, but I know I'm playing catch up to how I should be.

i agree with the yoga/Pilates thing. Everyone 40 and up should be doing it. I need to get back to it, was doing it for like 6-8 months back in my early 40’s, shoulda kept up with it

#20 EWW

EWW

Regular, normal human being

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20595 posts
  • LocationSomewhere special

Posted 12 January 2019 - 11:52 AM

In a similar boat, but i'm only 36.  Oh and I don't moderate.

Dude, you are a

patron-patron-silver-tequila-limited-edi

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users