#101 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22946 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 25 January 2019 - 08:55 AM

Woke up to -7° here this morning.  I'm about to head out on vacation (Sat morn) so I just hope the aeropuerto is operating properly.  :D

You fly out of Chicago.  Why should the temperature have any effect on the shit show that is ORD?

#102 DieselGopher

DieselGopher

Executive Director of Whatnot and what not

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11004 posts
  • Locationhanging around

Posted 25 January 2019 - 09:22 AM

How do you feel about -40f?

Other than a little concern for the battery in my POS winter car, meh. I have a coat, hat, gloves, and boots in the car. Haven’t needed them yet this year.

#103 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22946 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 25 January 2019 - 09:43 AM

I'm generally ok with the weather, but am kind of wishing I had filled up the truck with gas a couple of days ago.  It's sitting at 1/4 tank right now.

#104 Vagus

Vagus

Just had an organism

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 39309 posts
  • LocationThere

Posted 25 January 2019 - 09:49 AM

I'm generally ok with the weather, but am kind of wishing I had filled up the truck with gas a couple of days ago.  It's sitting at 1/4 tank right now

Im sorry the government is shut down.

#105 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22946 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 25 January 2019 - 11:29 AM

Im sorry the government is shut down.

I take responsibility for my own actions.  The government is negligent about a lot of things, but this is not one of them.  It's my own pride in squeezing out as many drops of fuel as I can from each tank!

#106 ER Pemberton

ER Pemberton

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32911 posts

Posted 25 January 2019 - 11:32 AM

You fly out of Chicago.  Why should the temperature have any effect on the shit show that is ORD?

ORD has been very solid for us.  The crews at O'Hare are used to extremes so I'm banking on everything going smoothly.  Once we had a 5am flight out of O'Hare and the conditions were clear and dry but very cold (below zero).  We boarded the plane and sat and sat and sat with no explanation.  Eventually the captain said, We're trying to fill the plane's water reserves but the supply line is frozen.  You have to have water or you can't fly.  We'll keep you posted.  20 minutes later he comes on again and says, We're going to try the water line at another gate... so we back up, taxi to another gate... same thing.  Not sure how late we were but we eventually got water.  Snow is one thing, strong thunderstorms are another and extreme cold is another... all potential issues.  

#107 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22946 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 25 January 2019 - 11:47 AM

ORD has been very solid for us.  The crews at O'Hare are used to extremes so I'm banking on everything going smoothly.  Once we had a 5am flight out of O'Hare and the conditions were clear and dry but very cold (below zero).  We boarded the plane and sat and sat and sat with no explanation.  Eventually the captain said, We're trying to fill the plane's water reserves but the supply line is frozen.  You have to have water or you can't fly.  We'll keep you posted.  20 minutes later he comes on again and says, We're going to try the water line at another gate... so we back up, taxi to another gate... same thing.  Not sure how late we were but we eventually got water.  Snow is one thing, strong thunderstorms are another and extreme cold is another... all potential issues.  

Well... it was more a commentary on ORD being one of the worst airports to fly out of from a non-weather related perspective.  

#108 ER Pemberton

ER Pemberton

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32911 posts

Posted 25 January 2019 - 11:49 AM

Well... it was more a commentary on ORD being one of the worst airports to fly out of from a non-weather related perspective.  

I might just be partial to it.  I know my way around it and it seems okay to me.  I have been in ATL lately (and will be again next Saturday) and also Miami.  Those are some serious PITA airports.  ORD has been a dream compared to some others but I get it... it's big and busy.  

#109 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22946 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 25 January 2019 - 11:55 AM

I might just be partial to it.  I know my way around it and it seems okay to me.  I have been in ATL lately (and will be again next Saturday) and also Miami.  Those are some serious PITA airports.  ORD has been a dream compared to some others but I get it... it's big and busy.  

I only want to fly through ORD if its one of the first flights of the day.  I've been stuck in Chicago overnight for non-weather related reasons.

#110 ER Pemberton

ER Pemberton

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32911 posts

Posted 25 January 2019 - 12:30 PM

I only want to fly through ORD if its one of the first flights of the day.  I've been stuck in Chicago overnight for non-weather related reasons.

They probably just wanted to keep you because you're Deerslyr.  :P

#111 the_stain

the_stain

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 76874 posts

Posted 25 January 2019 - 12:43 PM

I only flew through ORD one time, to catch a connection.

It was a tight schedule, I had like 20 minutes to get from one plane to another.

I spotted a helpful-looking guy in an airport uniform and asked him how to get to the gate I was looking for.

He proceeded, in a very "Da Bears" Chicago accent, to give me a super long set of directions, something like "Go down dis hall until you see da elevator, take it up 2 floors, once you get outta dere, take a right, and follow da hallway wit a blue line on it until you get to an escalator, take dat down, go left down da other hall to Terminal C..."

barely made it.  That airport is friggin huge :D

#112 SnowMan

SnowMan

Advanced Snowman

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7336 posts
  • LocationSunman, IN

Posted 25 January 2019 - 03:31 PM

I take responsibility for my own actions.  The government is negligent about a lot of things, but this is not one of them.  It's my own pride in squeezing out as many drops of fuel as I can from each tank!

We have a rule in our house.   Don't arrive at an overnight destination below half a tank. AKA home.  Yes, you get fuel more often.  But you never have a crunch come up where you have to get gas, but don't have time either. 

#113 ER Pemberton

ER Pemberton

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32911 posts

Posted 25 January 2019 - 03:43 PM

We have a rule in our house.   Don't arrive at an overnight destination below half a tank. AKA home.  Yes, you get fuel more often.  But you never have a crunch come up where you have to get gas, but don't have time either.

Enter... kids of driving age.   :unsure: :covreyes:  :nono:

#114 dagomike

dagomike

Comptroller of CrapPapples

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10621 posts

Posted 25 January 2019 - 03:46 PM

Right now we’re looking at 8-13 inches for Monday. #girthiswhatcoints

#115 SnowMan

SnowMan

Advanced Snowman

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7336 posts
  • LocationSunman, IN

Posted 25 January 2019 - 04:03 PM

Enter... kids of driving age.   :unsure: :covreyes:  :nono:

That's where I got that rule from.  Dad drilled it into me young.  Especially in the days, when he was paying for gas.  He'd give me as many half tank fillups as I needed. But if it was below that... it was on me. That and he'd check...

SWMBO was resistant for a long time.  She finally came around. 

#116 zymot

zymot

Comptroller of Small Amounts of Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21886 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 25 January 2019 - 04:14 PM

Saturday and Sunday will be 65°-70° most of the day.

Good chance for me to get some yard work in. I like to take care of like this early on,  before the bad weather hit and and I miss my chance to get it out of the way.

#117 MakeMeHoppy

MakeMeHoppy

Redundancy Comptroller of Redundancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8053 posts
  • LocationLower, Slower Delaware

Posted 25 January 2019 - 04:48 PM

How do you feel about -40f?

that is the magic temp that is also -40 Celcius

Edited by MakeMeHoppy, 25 January 2019 - 04:49 PM.

#118 Vagus

Vagus

Just had an organism

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 39309 posts
  • LocationThere

Posted 25 January 2019 - 05:05 PM

We have a rule in our house. Don't arrive at an overnight destination below half a tank. AKA home. Yes, you get fuel more often. But you never have a crunch come up where you have to get gas, but don't have time either.

I fill up at a quarter tank. Like to make sure I have a full tank in one of the cars at all times.

#119 Dave McG

Dave McG

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4926 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 25 January 2019 - 05:16 PM

Saturday overnight supposed to be -13 here. feck.

I've been on midnights most of the month, and all of next week. I work outside.

#120 Julius H Gardetto

Julius H Gardetto

Comptroller of Delusional Berkley Hippie Types

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21808 posts

Posted 25 January 2019 - 05:58 PM

That's where I got that rule from. Dad drilled it into me young. Especially in the days, when he was paying for gas. He'd give me as many half tank fillups as I needed. But if it was below that... it was on me. That and he'd check...

SWMBO was resistant for a long time. She finally came around.

I like that.

I fill up at a quarter tank. Like to make sure I have a full tank in one of the cars at all times.

Me too. I also want to switch my wife’s pistol over to 9mm so we have the same caliber.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users