25 replies to this topic

#21 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53514 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 09:02 AM

Interesting. I stopped using homebrew kegs and use sankes instead. Id say my delicate beers last at least an extra month (if they arent consumed) due to the packaging.

There has been some experiments on packaging, O2-intrusion, etc. lately and I agree it's interesting.  I feel like the low-O2 process I have been using with spunded beers is about as good of a process as I've used to ensure that the beer sees as little O2 as possible.  On brewday the fermenter is closed up and the beer stays in the fermenter, the tubing or the keg the entire time and then it naturally carbonates.  I suppose a leaky keg could hurt you in that case but that's where the lube comes in.  

#22 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 12 January 2019 - 09:12 AM

There has been some experiments on packaging, O2-intrusion, etc. lately and I agree it's interesting. I feel like the low-O2 process I have been using with spunded beers is about as good of a process as I've used to ensure that the beer sees as little O2 as possible. On brewday the fermenter is closed up and the beer stays in the fermenter, the tubing or the keg the entire time and then it naturally carbonates. I suppose a leaky keg could hurt you in that case but that's where the lube comes in.

I should note i only changed to sankes because it was practical for 1 bbl batches and got a dozen 5 gal sankes while i was at it. Ive been trying to get rid of my home brew kegs. They are a giant pain in the butt.

#23 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 09:42 AM

I would love to get rid of my corny kegs and go to pub style sanke kegs.  The design is just better.  Maybe it is time to sell off the cornys and look for some pub kegs.

There has been some experiments on packaging, O2-intrusion, etc. lately and I agree it's interesting.  I feel like the low-O2 process I have been using with spunded beers is about as good of a process as I've used to ensure that the beer sees as little O2 as possible.  On brewday the fermenter is closed up and the beer stays in the fermenter, the tubing or the keg the entire time and then it naturally carbonates.  I suppose a leaky keg could hurt you in that case but that's where the lube comes in.  

So, how are you dryhopping?

#24 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 12 January 2019 - 09:47 AM

I would love to get rid of my corny kegs and go to pub style sanke kegs.  The design is just better.  Maybe it is time to sell off the cornys and look for some pub kegs.

Ken doesn't really like hops. He just tolerates them, but is considering leaving them out because they cause oxidation...

:troll:

#25 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53514 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 09:51 AM

No dry-hopping.  I rarely did it before this process so it's not like I'm struggling with it.  It's important to remember too that I'm not nearly as squeamish about the O2 intrusion as many others (which is why I still occasionally force-carb and add a gel solution) so if I really wanted to dry hop I would probably wait until I got a couple days into the fermentation, pop the lid of the fermenter and add the hops and leave them in there until it was time to spund.  Either that or add the hops in a muslin bag to the keg on brewday and then just leave it in there for the duration of the keg.  Neither of those may be suitable but it just shows you how anti-dry hopping I truly am.  :P  I'm sure there are dry-hoppers on the low-O2 board but I haven't really looked for those conversations.  

#26 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 13 January 2019 - 05:05 PM

With regards to dryhop, on the batch I did today I put 3oz of cryo hops in the purge keg. I expect to transfer to that keg by Tuesday so we will see how this works.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users