• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 VirginiaBeach

VirginiaBeach

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 06:07 PM

Hello all,I want to do a Bavarian Hefeweizen for my first kegged beer and force carbonate it. Being a highly carbonated style, it looks like I'll need about 31 PSI to achieve 3.5 volumes of CO2 at 50 degrees (F). Is this pressure too high to leave on for a long time (as long as it takes to finish the keg)?https://www.kegerators.com/carbonation-table.phpAlso, if this is the case, it looks like I'll need a long length of beer line to balance the system (about 15 feet). Is this right?https://www.iancrockett.com/brewing/info/kegbalance.shtml (used 31 PSI, Resistance = 2, height = 2)

#2 No Party JKor

No Party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64408 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 08 November 2009 - 06:48 PM

Just my opinion, but I don't think you need to carb it to 3.5 volumes. Try it at 2.5-2.8, let it come to equilibrium and see how you like it. If you think it needs more, bump it a few psi.Yeah, balancing it will be a little tough. You may want to try the epoxy mixer method.

#3 ChefLamont

ChefLamont

Comptroller of Fear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9753 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 09 November 2009 - 04:58 AM

I agree. I would start with 2.5 and see how you like it there and go up if necessary.That should also significantly cut down on the tubing needed.

#4 chuck_d

chuck_d

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 13 November 2009 - 05:11 AM

I think 3.5 is about right for a Bavarian Weizen. That's what we're doing here at Doemens with the Weizen we brewed last week. Except here in Bavaria they don't talk volumes, they talk grams of CO2 per liter, which is just a double, so we're doing 7 grams/liter. The added carbonation makes it more effervescent and helps to drive off the volatiles that you want to smell and maintain that rich head. I'd suggest starting with more tubing than you think you need to balance the line. You can easily cut off a foot or two if the pour is hollow, but it's a pain to build an entire new long line if it's too short. Also note that there is no standard pressure drop per foot for tubing. Different manufacturers have different pressure drops in the lines, so don't rely to heavily on an online calculator for that unless it's specific to your brand.

#5 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 05:51 AM

I think 3.5 is about right for a Bavarian Weizen. That's what we're doing here at Doemens with the Weizen we brewed last week. Except here in Bavaria they don't talk volumes, they talk grams of CO2 per liter, which is just a double, so we're doing 7 grams/liter. The added carbonation makes it more effervescent and helps to drive off the volatiles that you want to smell and maintain that rich head. I'd suggest starting with more tubing than you think you need to balance the line. You can easily cut off a foot or two if the pour is hollow, but it's a pain to build an entire new long line if it's too short. Also note that there is no standard pressure drop per foot for tubing. Different manufacturers have different pressure drops in the lines, so don't rely to heavily on an online calculator for that unless it's specific to your brand.

I usually do 3.5. I find they don't taste right to me without a lot of carbonation.

#6 BrianBrewerKS

BrianBrewerKS

Comptroller of Winging It

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 09:30 AM

I don't really pay much attention to what level of carbonation I should be shooting for unless it's a very specific beer. I normally just crank it up to 30-35 psi for 48 hours, then lower it to serving pressure.

#7 No Party JKor

No Party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64408 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 13 November 2009 - 03:01 PM

I don't really pay much attention to what level of carbonation I should be shooting for unless it's a very specific beer. I normally just crank it up to 30-35 psi for 48 hours, then lower it to serving pressure.

You're a rebel. Rock on, sista.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users