6 replies to this topic

#1 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 01:48 PM

I have never made a Baltic Porter but feel like brewing something high gravity so I am going to give it a go.  It will be based on Framinghammer by Jack's Abby.  I am not sure what yeast to use but I will have a cake of 34/70 (2124) ready to go in a few weeks from the golden lager I did Sunday and I can not see why that would not be a good choice.  Should be up to the task I would think, anyone think differently or have a suggestion on a yeast to use?  I am still working on the water profile but once that is done I will start a thread in the recipe section.

#2 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 08 January 2019 - 02:45 PM

I think you're on the right track.  A nice fresh healthy cake of 34/70?  Come on man, that will tear through a big beer.  Maybe give it a little help and ferment on the higher end of the spectrum since there's enough exbeeriment and other to prove you can.  IIRC you're BIAB.  That assumed how many pounds can you work with comfortably?

#3 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 08 January 2019 - 03:07 PM

34/70 would be my 1st choice; attenuates well, but still emphasizes malt, and hops aren't muted.

#4 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 06:12 PM

I think you're on the right track.  A nice fresh healthy cake of 34/70?  Come on man, that will tear through a big beer.  Maybe give it a little help and ferment on the higher end of the spectrum since there's enough exbeeriment and other to prove you can.  IIRC you're BIAB.  That assumed how many pounds can you work with comfortably?

Most likely will ferment at my cellar temp and that is about 52-56 at the moment.  As for the set up, I am a 2 vessel no-sparge brewer.  I do not think the grainbill should be an issue and I am planning on 65% efficiency with the big mash.  

34/70 would be my 1st choice; attenuates well, but still emphasizes malt, and hops aren't muted.

Excellent.  

I really cannot remember the last time I made a beer that was this big.  Had to be many moons ago when I did a barleywine.

#5 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 08 January 2019 - 07:27 PM

Excellent.  

I really cannot remember the last time I made a beer that was this big.  Had to be many moons ago when I did a barleywine.

If need be, make a pils, helles, or some other lower-grav lager to grow a yeast cake, then brew your Baltic porter and use the resulting yeast cake.

#6 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 07:53 PM

If need be, make a pils, helles, or some other lower-grav lager to grow a yeast cake, then brew your Baltic porter and use the resulting yeast cake.

I have a 1.050 golden lager going right now with it. Figure I should be ready to keg in two weeks, just in time for this beer.

#7 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 09 January 2019 - 07:18 AM

I have a 1.050 golden lager going right now with it. Figure I should be ready to keg in two weeks, just in time for this beer.

Re: Baltic Porter, please keep us posted on this one

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users