3 replies to this topic

#1 Glacies

Glacies

Comptroller of Schwanz Hats

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5095 posts

Posted 02 January 2019 - 06:12 AM

Totally surprised and was super hesitant, but it kind of worked out well for a short play period.

We are now dealing with in-law divorce and separate Christmases. Since we basically refuse to travel during Christmas, we were on the second rotation with the dad this time which we prefer due to the "primary" rotation having some of the most poorly behaved kids (and adults) I've ever seen. It was brunch format and I made eggs Benedict with fresh hollandaisse, coconut waffles with chocolate maple syrup and buttermilk fried chicken in the beef fat rendered from my 3 bone ribeye roast from Christmas Day. Some family members told me "we got Dungeons and Dragons on Christmas, we couldn't play it over [primary], can you show us how to play?"

I argued with them like 10 times trying to tell them it wasn't really a party game for mixed (non-nerd company), but eventually my wife and her father, who have no idea what the hell this is, had level 1 pregen sheets and we got to bidnet with the others. 

The starter kit is the Lost Mines of Phandever - they barely got to Phandelin and even if I knew something I would let the rest of the party make a decision.

From behind the screen, I was amazed at how many options it presents to the characters to move forward in the game. We played for like 3 hours and my father-in-law, who participated really well in it just kept telling me he was amazed by what I was doing and he could see how you can get really into it. I wasn't a great DM, I think he was just amazed by the complexity and adventure dynamic the whole thing presented. The book did a really good job with it.

#2 BIG POPPA

BIG POPPA

Duke of Errrrl

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25965 posts

Posted 02 January 2019 - 06:17 AM

Then why aren't you DMng our group? Certainly you could do way better than I am at it. 

#3 Glacies

Glacies

Comptroller of Schwanz Hats

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5095 posts

Posted 02 January 2019 - 06:37 AM

You're doing fine, but if you want me to give it a shot so you can play a bit (even though you know all the secrets!!) I would be happy to try. You have to give me some time to learn how the software works though.

#4 BIG POPPA

BIG POPPA

Duke of Errrrl

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25965 posts

Posted 02 January 2019 - 08:24 AM

You're doing fine, but if you want me to give it a shot so you can play a bit (even though you know all the secrets!!) I would be happy to try. You have to give me some time to learn how the software works though.

I can flip the server on so you can practice.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users