#1 BarelyBrews

BarelyBrews

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1631 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 18 December 2018 - 10:06 AM

I am ready to try it. I once loved thirsty dog beer with licorice flavor.. when i tried to find it again,i could not.  Either my taste changed or i could not find the right beer again.. Going to do a small test batch (3 gal) ...I have the licorice stick ..any thoughts on addition time ..I am leaning towards the whirlpool..?  I like the flavor more than the Aroma.. I understand adding to the boil gives a harshness to it..I adding star anise to a 30 minute boil years ago and i could not get past the aroma..the flavor was good..I gave most of it away to a guy that tasted it and said he could drink it all..

Planning on 1/2 stick use or 1/3...any ideas , besides don't LOL?

#2 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 18 December 2018 - 11:23 AM

The people I know who use it add it during the last 5 min. of boil.  If it's real brewer's licorice, it's very strong.  I'd say 1/4-1/3 would be about right.

#3 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 18 December 2018 - 11:30 AM

Is this something that could be added to a keg to taste?  Add it to keg 1 and taste after a few days and once it is where you want it transfer to a second serving keg?  Or does it have to be added warm?

#4 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 18 December 2018 - 12:13 PM

Is this something that could be added to a keg to taste?  Add it to keg 1 and taste after a few days and once it is where you want it transfer to a second serving keg?  Or does it have to be added warm?

It's pretty hard stuff, IIRC.  Warm would dissolve it better, but there are probably other options.

#5 BarelyBrews

BarelyBrews

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1631 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 18 December 2018 - 01:33 PM

The people I know who use it add it during the last 5 min. of boil.  If it's real brewer's licorice, it's very strong.  I'd say 1/4-1/3 would be about right.

Brewer stick from lhbs..five minutes sounds good.

It's pretty hard stuff, IIRC.  Warm would dissolve it better, but there are probably other options.

I was reading about doing a seperate water boil and add to boil..good idea..

#6 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 18 December 2018 - 01:41 PM

I was reading about doing a seperate water boil and add to boil..good idea..

I think this way would give you some extra control over the final flavor/aroma but I am just guessing since I have never used licorice in a beer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users