denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9090 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 12 December 2018 - 11:35 AM

https://www.experime...ecipe-challenge

We asked our listeners to challenge us - give us a beer idea you want us to design and prepare to make. Out of the pile of suggestions we each chose one recipe to challenge the other with. In this inaugural challenge, we only find out what recipe we're supposed to formulate right then. Listen to us walk you through how we'd tackle these challenges.

And congrats to Aaron Kennison and Eric Pierce who'll be receiving a half pound of Yakima Chief Hops' Veteran's Blend!

#2 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 13 December 2018 - 06:21 AM

Wow, this is directly in my wort splattered wheel house.  Having just kegged a naturally conditioning Saison and prepping to make an Ambre Belgian on Saturday, my next focus has been on using my pack of Staro on a traditional Pils because by that time, I'll be craving cold, yellow and quaffable. 

I will make this recipe to order and hope to fire it up in the kettle the weekend before Christmas.

Btw, all items on hand :)

#3 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9090 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 13 December 2018 - 10:49 AM

Wow, this is directly in my wort splattered wheel house.  Having just kegged a naturally conditioning Saison and prepping to make an Ambre Belgian on Saturday, my next focus has been on using my pack of Staro on a traditional Pils because by that time, I'll be craving cold, yellow and quaffable. 

I will make this recipe to order and hope to fire it up in the kettle the weekend before Christmas.

Btw, all items on hand :)

Lemme know how it turns out!

#4 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 13 December 2018 - 11:29 AM

Denny, are you going to make it?

#5 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9090 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 13 December 2018 - 12:09 PM

Denny, are you going to make it?

Probably will once I can brew again...maybe another couple weeks.

#6 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 13 December 2018 - 12:40 PM

I hope you're mending well

#7 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9090 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 13 December 2018 - 12:58 PM

I hope you're mending well

yeah, quite well, thanks!

#8 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 26 January 2019 - 03:39 PM

So here you go.  This beer is just coming up to carb.  And because it's a quick lager, it will only get better in the coming weeks.  But I have to say it is pretty tasty.  Very easy to knock down a couple three.  I do not get a bunch of rye unfortunately but I have to admit my palate doesn't seem to be as keen as others.  Either way I'll hone this recipe a few times for sure.

DSC-0652.jpg

Here's my jumble

DSC-0660.jpg

Doing it again, I'd up the rye and amp the hops.  Staro Prague in my humble opinion is very nice but a back seater.  I like when a lager yeast has presence.  Maybe it's just me though.

Denny, I'd love to post this in Experimental but I can't.  I've since asked to be deleted so I can start fresh.  Either way I'm an IGOR from afar :)

Cheers

#9 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 26 January 2019 - 03:42 PM

Oh, ELO is just that.  I always write down my music for my brew session.  Somehow I know it infuses it's magic into the beer.  So, Jeff Lynne helped on this batch :)

#10 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9090 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 27 January 2019 - 12:49 PM

So here you go.  This beer is just coming up to carb.  And because it's a quick lager, it will only get better in the coming weeks.  But I have to say it is pretty tasty.  Very easy to knock down a couple three.  I do not get a bunch of rye unfortunately but I have to admit my palate doesn't seem to be as keen as others.  Either way I'll hone this recipe a few times for sure.

DSC-0652.jpg

Here's my jumble

DSC-0660.jpg

Doing it again, I'd up the rye and amp the hops.  Staro Prague in my humble opinion is very nice but a back seater.  I like when a lager yeast has presence.  Maybe it's just me though.

Denny, I'd love to post this in Experimental but I can't.  I've since asked to be deleted so I can start fresh.  Either way I'm an IGOR from afar :)

Cheers

I'll get on Drew gain...that looks wonderful!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users