24 replies to this topic

#1 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53867 posts

Posted 10 December 2018 - 06:15 AM

I just wanted to share with you guys that I reached out to Chils yesterday by PM, email and FB Messenger.   I just wanted to make sure everything was good over there.  He responded by email and to paraphrase... he says the board does not make him happy because he ends up in the PH or HotSpot and that certain people create a lot of dark clouds.  I hear what he's saying.  He had not been active on the board since August 29 and it sounds like this may be a permanent thing.  As far as I can tell, he's fine otherwise.  Chils, we will miss you brother.  IMO, you're one of our core group and you brought a lot great brewing knowledge to the rest of us.  Of course we'd like to see you back here but if that doesn't happen, I think we all get it.  

That is all.

:cheers:

#2 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 10 December 2018 - 06:33 AM

I was afraid of that.  Sucks.  I miss him on the beer side and he lager experience.  I am glad that he is doing fine though and wish him the best.

#3 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 10 December 2018 - 06:59 AM

Agreed. The key for me is to just let things go. Unfortunately you can't have much of a real political conversation here.

#4 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53867 posts

Posted 10 December 2018 - 07:25 AM

I mentioned to him that I did the same thing for about 6 months.  When I came back my attitude towards any PH/HS conversations was different... just don't let it bother you no matter what it is.  If you choose to do something that is supposed to be entertaining and/or informative and it ends up making you mad and impacting real life then there's a problem and I think he saw that and found his solution by axing this place.  He said that he is much happier not visiting brews-bros.  I get it.  

#5 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 10 December 2018 - 07:27 AM

I mentioned to him that I did the same thing for about 6 months.  When I came back my attitude towards any PH/HS conversations was different... just don't let it bother you no matter what it is.  If you choose to do something that is supposed to be entertaining and/or informative and it ends up making you mad and impacting real life then there's a problem and I think he saw that and found his solution by axing this place.  He said that he is much happier not visiting brews-bros.  I get it.  

I get it and have had the same thoughts at times.  

#6 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 10 December 2018 - 07:48 AM

I just wanted to share with you guys that I reached out to Chils yesterday by PM, email and FB Messenger.   I just wanted to make sure everything was good over there.  He responded by email and to paraphrase... he says the board does not make him happy because he ends up in the PH or HotSpot and that certain people create a lot of dark clouds.  I hear what he's saying.  He had not been active on the board since August 29 and it sounds like this may be a permanent thing.  As far as I can tell, he's fine otherwise.  Chils, we will miss you brother.  IMO, you're one of our core group and you brought a lot great brewing knowledge to the rest of us.  Of course we'd like to see you back here but if that doesn't happen, I think we all get it.  

That is all.

I get where Chils is coming from, big-time.  That said, I do miss him being around and posting here.  Good dude and I hope he comes back someday, if only to the beer forum, but if not, I too wish him well.

All of that said, let me vent a moment:  The PH, and especially the Hot Spot, in my opinion, are becoming more toxic by the day. 

Most of the PH'ers seem like decent folks, but anymore it's the same personalities that create most of the tension, arguments, divisiveness, etc.  It's no wonder to me why Chils, Seagis, and who knows how many other PH'ers have left and not returned; unfortunately, it seems like the personalities who leave are those I'd wish would stay, and the personalities causing the trouble who tend to stick around, instead of going somewhere else.

I've made it a point to not post nearly as much in the PH, and certainly not in the HS, for some time now, and there've been several times I've considered doing as Chils did: just leave and not come back again.  The only real reason I visit this site anymore is because of the beer forum, and the people/content in it.  I'd much rather talk beer and brewing with you all than deal with the bullshit that the PH/HS have devolved into.

For my part, I appreciate the civility and camaraderie that the beer forum provides and hope it continues to stay that way.

#7 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53867 posts

Posted 10 December 2018 - 08:24 AM

I get where Chils is coming from, big-time.  That said, I do miss him being around and posting here.  Good dude and I hope he comes back someday, if only to the beer forum, but if not, I too wish him well.

All of that said, let me vent a moment:  The PH, and especially the Hot Spot, in my opinion, are becoming more toxic by the day. 

Most of the PH'ers seem like decent folks, but anymore it's the same personalities that create most of the tension, arguments, divisiveness, etc.  It's no wonder to me why Chils, Seagis, and who knows how many other PH'ers have left and not returned; unfortunately, it seems like the personalities who leave are those I'd wish would stay, and the personalities causing the trouble who tend to stick around, instead of going somewhere else.

I've made it a point to not post nearly as much in the PH, and certainly not in the HS, for some time now, and there've been several times I've considered doing as Chils did: just leave and not come back again.  The only real reason I visit this site anymore is because of the beer forum, and the people/content in it.  I'd much rather talk beer and brewing with you all than deal with the bullshit that the PH/HS have devolved into.

For my part, I appreciate the civility and camaraderie that the beer forum provides and hope it continues to stay that way.

You and I have talked about this before.  I feel like an individual has a multitude of choices:  Stick to the beer forum and don't go into the PH.  If you choose to go into the PH and you've been peeved about what you've seen there, understand the consequences of clicking on the PH link.  Once there, if you see a topic that may peeve you, understand the consequences of clicking on the topic.  Same with the HotSpot.  I feel like some of the more pragmatic members would tell others to get a thicker skin, put your big boy pants on and see the content there for what it is... online forum talk.  So that's how I dealt with it... see everything for what it is, benefit from what is funny, interesting or informative and make the choice to either stay away from controversy or let it roll off your back if you choose to look at it.  

#8 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 10 December 2018 - 08:46 AM

You and I have talked about this before.  I feel like an individual has a multitude of choices:  Stick to the beer forum and don't go into the PH.  If you choose to go into the PH and you've been peeved about what you've seen there, understand the consequences of clicking on the PH link.  Once there, if you see a topic that may peeve you, understand the consequences of clicking on the topic.  Same with the HotSpot.  I feel like some of the more pragmatic members would tell others to get a thicker skin, put your big boy pants on and see the content there for what it is... online forum talk.  So that's how I dealt with it... see everything for what it is, benefit from what is funny, interesting or informative and make the choice to either stay away from controversy or let it roll off your back if you choose to look at it.  

Yes we have, and I agree with your points.  Make no mistake, I'm thicker-skinned than my post above might imply.

That said, I prefer to hang out more in the beer forum and interact here, since beer is why we're all posting here in the first place.  And I certainly appreciate that on the occasion when there's disagreement on a beer-related topic, the parties involved have never been anything but civil and willing to communicate, without name-calling, insults, etc, as far as I've ever seen.

I see the beer forum as more like "Cheers", where the PH/HS are more like the Thunderdome.

#9 LeftyMPfrmDE

LeftyMPfrmDE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 592 posts
  • LocationDelaware

Posted 10 December 2018 - 08:48 AM

I was afraid of that.  Sucks.  I miss him on the beer side and he lager experience.  I am glad that he is doing fine though and wish him the best.

that does really suck; he's the one that reached out from another (now defunct) forum via PM to see If anyone wanted to join this one. Knowledgeable brewer and all around good dude. his posts from the other forum schooled me on lager methods, hop stands, and water chemistry; back then, he was doing some experiments with water treatment, learning as he went along, and cleared up a lot of questions about treating water, and threw me down that particular rabbit hole; as daunting as that subject is for someone looking to learn the finer points.

I completely understand the PH/Hotspot being a turnoff; I lerk more then post in those sub forums, and yes, some of the vitriol in those forums are brutal to read.  Sometimes its hard not to react to some of what's posted, but just let it slide, I guess; stick to what I came here for: Beer. 

Edited by LeftyMPfrmDE, 10 December 2018 - 08:50 AM.

#10 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53867 posts

Posted 10 December 2018 - 09:17 AM

Yes we have, and I agree with your points.  Make no mistake, I'm thicker-skinned than my post above might imply.

That said, I prefer to hang out more in the beer forum and interact here, since beer is why we're all posting here in the first place.  And I certainly appreciate that on the occasion when there's disagreement on a beer-related topic, the parties involved have never been anything but civil and willing to communicate, without name-calling, insults, etc, as far as I've ever seen.

I see the beer forum as more like "Cheers", where the PH/HS are more like the Thunderdome.

I thank my lucky stars every day that we have such a good vibe in the beer forum.  I see us as the last piece of this giant group (some who started as brewers and no longer brew, some who occasionally brew and others who never brewed) on the overall board and we're usually in here every day knocking around beer-related stuff.  We're probably 5% of the total board content but it's our job to keep doing it.  :lol:  We don't criticize or judge and we're not condescending with each other.  Sure we all have different takes on ideas but for the most part the exchange is pretty polished.  We seem to bring in ideas from outside the board for consideration and even though we don't see a lot of NEW brewing members, I feel like we keep things pretty up-to-date here.  The beer forum is a good place to hang.

that does really suck; he's the one that reached out from another (now defunct) forum via PM to see If anyone wanted to join this one. Knowledgeable brewer and all around good dude. his posts from the other forum schooled me on lager methods, hop stands, and water chemistry; back then, he was doing some experiments with water treatment, learning as he went along, and cleared up a lot of questions about treating water, and threw me down that particular rabbit hole; as daunting as that subject is for someone looking to learn the finer points.

I completely understand the PH/Hotspot being a turnoff; I lerk more then post in those sub forums, and yes, some of the vitriol in those forums are brutal to read.  Sometimes its hard not to react to some of what's posted, but just let it slide, I guess; stick to what I came here for: Beer. 

I hear this.  Chils liked to experiment and then share his findings.  The fact that he was a lager-head and I like lagers makes it even better.  I'm talking in the past tense which is not intended.  Hopefully we see him again here.  

#11 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 10 December 2018 - 10:23 AM

I made a conscious decision to just avoid the PH.  Haven't been in there for a couple years.  Otherwise, I'd be gone, too.

#12 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 10 December 2018 - 10:31 AM

I made a conscious decision to just avoid the PH.  Haven't been in there for a couple years.  Otherwise, I'd be gone, too.

I've come to the conclusion that the PH by and large isn't for me anymore. 

I'll lurk sometimes, and maybe post in a topic that's interesting or where I think I can share a thought or 2 that someone might find helpful, but when you get attacked for really no good reason at all, it makes you wonder why you bother posting in the first place.

I'll just hang out in this forum and the let the full-time PH'ers eat each other alive.

#13 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 10 December 2018 - 10:33 AM

Well, I hope Chil's considers just hanging out with us stellar cats.  With the exception of the LOLZ thread, I rarely spend time in the PH.  I lurk and leave.  But it is a good source for meme's and stuff to fill my files :)

We definitely need Chils' back here though since most of us are really honing the lagers.

#14 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53867 posts

Posted 10 December 2018 - 10:47 AM

I mentioned to Chils that there would be a group of guys that are happy to see him if he decided to come back and hang in the beer forum.

One other thing on the PH:  There are some smart and helpful people in there.  I have asked about things and gotten very solid answers from people.  Dan the beer man helped me fix my lager fridge when the thermostat shit the bed.  I have gotten good advice and some excellent direction from some of the people in there.  I have also asked a PHBT-style question and gotten nothing but nonsense replies so it all evens out, I suppose.    

#15 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 10 December 2018 - 11:25 AM

I mentioned to Chils that there would be a group of guys that are happy to see him if he decided to come back and hang in the beer forum.

One other thing on the PH:  There are some smart and helpful people in there.  I have asked about things and gotten very solid answers from people.  Dan the beer man helped me fix my lager fridge when the thermostat shit the bed.  I have gotten good advice and some excellent direction from some of the people in there.  I have also asked a PHBT-style question and gotten nothing but nonsense replies so it all evens out, I suppose.    

IMO, that seems to be the norm, not the exception.

#16 Vagus

Vagus

Just had an organism

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 59118 posts
  • LocationThere

Posted 10 December 2018 - 01:39 PM

let the full-time PH'ers eat each other alive.

I am the dark cloud Chilis fears.  You'll never escape my hunger by hiding in a place called "beer."  I thirst.

Haha, was wondering where he's been.  I hope he at least comes back to the beer forum, his coolness factor is a benefit to the community.

#17 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53867 posts

Posted 10 December 2018 - 04:33 PM

OH NOES!  Vagus in the beer forum!  Everyone look busy!  :lol:

#18 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 10 December 2018 - 04:47 PM

I avoid the hot spot like the plague. Posting in the PH is way down, but i check it a lot for giggles.

#19 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 10 December 2018 - 06:44 PM

That's too bad.  Isn't easy to put the PH on ignore or at least the hotspot?

#20 jimdkc

jimdkc

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4967 posts
  • LocationIndependence, MO

Posted 11 December 2018 - 01:47 AM

Oh, good... It's not just me...

PH does seem to be getting more toxic all the time. There are still aspects of it and people there that I enjoy. And so far, I've been able to just let the negative stuff just roll off my back.

I haven't even ventured into the Hot Spot for quite some time!

I'm looking to get back into brewing in 2019, so maybe I'll spend more time in here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users