#1 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 09 December 2018 - 10:37 AM

I'm working on options for keeping dry hops from clogging up the works in primary and my serving kegs.  the goal now is to provide filtration for the dip tube so the hops can roam free in the beer.

The primary fermentor seems to be solved.  I had a mesh screen that I used to put hops in but with no lid on it I think it will still work.  it's pretty much exactly as tall as the keg.  check it:

zkTj7Jl.jpg

the serving keg I'm still working out.  I'm looking to do something similar with one of these: https://www.amazon.c...0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

here is the serving keg without the screen:

KFQunsJ.jpg

here it is with the screen in place.  I did manage to get the dip tube to slide all the way back down but I have to think it's not landing quite in it's original location:

sKhxyax.jpg

I'm figuring I can drill a hole in the lid and this will fit pretty good.  any issues you guys see?  I was thinking of maybe acquiring some grommets to put in the hole I make to help seal the lid up to the dip tube.  the grommet I have is a little oversized for the dip tube though.  does anyone know of the appropriate sized grommet for a dip tube?  or maybe I shouldn't bother?  curious what you guys think.

Edited by pickle_rick, 09 December 2018 - 10:39 AM.

#2 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 09 December 2018 - 12:10 PM

Put one of these over the end of your diptube.  Simple, inexpensive, effective...

https://www.homebrew...?productID=2050

#3 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 09 December 2018 - 12:13 PM

Put one of these over the end of your diptube.  Simple, inexpensive, effective...

https://www.homebrew...?productID=2050

I found that clogged quickly

#4 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 09 December 2018 - 05:34 PM

I didn't realized the 3/8" ID grommets were already the "small" size.  it's not very snug around the dip tube.  does pushing an o-ring on top pretty much cover any gap between the hole and the tube?

#5 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 03 January 2019 - 07:58 AM

so I'm going to use the 2 mesh strainers I bought "as is" but I just ordered 2 more that are shorter and I'll drill those out to use them in reverse.  I found the first two I ordered were a little bit too tall such that it was hard to fit the bend of the dip tube in them.  the shorter ones should fix that issue.  I'll probably reserve the inverted method for beers with a lot of hops in the keg and use the 2 larger ones in their normal configuration for beers where I'm only dry hopping with 2-3oz per 5 gal keg.

#6 Merlinwerks

Merlinwerks

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationWestern PA

Posted 03 January 2019 - 08:29 AM

The filter you show above looks very similar to mine from Arbor-Fab who also makes the filters for Utah Bio-Diesel, if that is the case then the white plastic caps made for small mouth mason jars have the same threading and you can use those if you don't want to drill your metal cap. When drilling make sure you have the flat part of the cap supported by a piece of scrap wood and drill through the "inside" of the cap first, otherwise it may crack.

Yes, a keg diptube is smaller in diameter than your typical airlock grommet. What I did was to drill an undersized hole for the grommet and kinda work it in. End result is a tight enough fit to seal on the keg diptube. I don't recall the size hole that I used, but I can measure it later if you would like

Edited by Merlinwerks, 03 January 2019 - 08:31 AM.

#7 Merlinwerks

Merlinwerks

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationWestern PA

Posted 03 January 2019 - 08:43 AM

Thinking about this a bit further if you go this route you may want to drill the hole in the cap closer to the outside edge to allow for the bend at the bottom of the diptube. I have only used mine with a Firestone style keg that has a straight diptube, but I don't see any reason it wouldn't work with the more typical bent style as long as you offset the hole.

#8 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 03 January 2019 - 10:50 AM

I found that clogged quickly

Really?  I've never had that problem.

#9 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 03 January 2019 - 10:53 AM

Really?  I've never had that problem.

I think we hop at much different rates!

#10 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 03 January 2019 - 01:20 PM

Thinking about this a bit further if you go this route you may want to drill the hole in the cap closer to the outside edge to allow for the bend at the bottom of the diptube. I have only used mine with a Firestone style keg that has a straight diptube, but I don't see any reason it wouldn't work with the more typical bent style as long as you offset the hole.

that is what will be required.

#11 Merlinwerks

Merlinwerks

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationWestern PA

Posted 03 January 2019 - 03:58 PM

The hole here is 1/2" and it provides a nice snug fit with the silicone grommets, however the center holes in the more typical black rubber grommets are slightly bigger and 1/2" provides a sloppy fit. In either case I would start maybe 1/16" -  3/32" smaller and work up from there. The black rubber is more pliable and easier to squeeze in to an undersized hole, but I'm guessing that there is a better chance that the silicone grommets are "food grade" if that is a concern.

6399600480.jpg

6399600483.jpg

#12 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 03 January 2019 - 04:03 PM

not sure if the plastic lid would fit or not.  in my house I only have the rings that are that size and they are just a hair too small to thread on.  it slides over the top of the strainer but I would not be able to thread it on.  maybe the plastic lids have a little more slop?  not sure.  where did you buy the silicone gaskets?  they seem like they would help either way.

#13 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 03 January 2019 - 04:14 PM

is this what I need?

https://www.amazon.c...867509418&psc=1

#14 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 03 January 2019 - 04:24 PM

is this what I need?

Sure looks it.

#15 Merlinwerks

Merlinwerks

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationWestern PA

Posted 03 January 2019 - 04:33 PM

Yep, I was just going to post that link.

I checked my filter and the metal bands are actually too big and the threads don't engage at all. I'm using the Ball brand plastic lids but other companies make them too, some are on the same page as the grommets. These aren't high precision so I imagine there can be slop both ways. FWIW, the diameter of my threads is 2.63" in the valley and 2.68" on the ridges.

If you can't make the plastic lids work or find an alternative, make sure to "size" the hole in some scrap first before committing to your "real" lid and be sure to de burr if you are using metal. 

My apologies if you are an avid "DIYer" and this is second nature to you, just throwin' it out there ;)

#16 Merlinwerks

Merlinwerks

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationWestern PA

Posted 03 January 2019 - 04:49 PM

As an alternative there are these things too, coupled with stainless bands if you can find some to fit your filter. They have a small "X" in the nipple part that would fit snugly around the dip tube.

Wait, what were we talkin' about here?? :D

https://www.amazon.c...ail_aax_0?psc=1

I use 'em for storing coffee in mason jars, roasting is another hobby.

#17 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 04 January 2019 - 06:46 AM

is this what I need?

I ordered some grommets.  drez, next time I see you if you want some of these just let me know.  I don't know what I'll do with 16 of them!

#18 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 07:12 AM

I ordered some grommets.  drez, next time I see you if you want some of these just let me know.  I don't know what I'll do with 16 of them!

I thought you were going semi-pro and just getting more fermenters :)

#19 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 04 January 2019 - 08:31 AM

I thought you were going semi-pro and just getting more fermenters :)

i wish!

#20 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 04 January 2019 - 12:17 PM

I think we hop at much different rates!

I've gone up to 5 oz. of pellets with one.  That may be puny compared to you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users