Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 30 November 2018 - 06:59 AM

Fellas, happy Friday

I'm putting the final touches on a Vienna Pale Lager.  BnWater is suggesting 6-7 ounces of acidulated malt or 5ml's of Lactic Acid (which I typically use).  Do you think 6-7 ounces will be prevalent in the taste?  I've never used it.  Thoughs?  Guffaws?  Chides?  Suggestions?

#2 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 30 November 2018 - 07:17 AM

I asked this before and I think the response was as long as the ML is equal to or less than teh batch size you are good.  I use that amount routinely and I have no issues.  

#3 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53902 posts

Posted 30 November 2018 - 07:28 AM

I can't say.  I have stopped using acid malt in favor of lactic acid just because it's so much easier and it seems to do its job.  I know I've mentioned this but I can't vouch for the accuracy:  I have heard that the number of milliliters of acid used should not exceed the number of gallons of water in the batch.  So 8+ ml of acid in 7 or 8 gallons of water might start to show some flavor impact.  That doesn't help if you're using acid malt.  Also, I dislike brewing myths as much as anyone so if that information is not correct then I deserve a flogging.  :D

Also:  I seem to have gotten to the point where almost every beer I make (from the most pale American Lager to the darkest dunkel) uses about 4ml of acid in 5 gallons of strike water and then another 2ml of acid in 3 gallons of sparge water.  That gets me to a good kettle pH.  I like "routine" so it makes things easier to manage on brewday.  Yes, I still check the pH but I'm almost always right in the ballpark.  Cheers.

#4 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 30 November 2018 - 07:41 AM

Thanks Brothers.  As mentioned my go-to is lactic acid but I wanted to give the malt a try.  With my water, I find I use more lactic on very pale to pale to just the edge of amber.  My darker beers need no acid in the mash and only a couple three ml's in the sparge. 

Now that I'm experimenting with BIAB it all goes in at the beginning.  I recall making a very drinkable yellow pale Ale awhile back and used acid malt.    

#5 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 30 November 2018 - 07:43 AM

I will use acid malt and Lactic Acid at times.

#6 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 30 November 2018 - 07:55 AM

I asked this before and I think the response was as long as the ML is equal to or less than teh batch size you are good.  I use that amount routinely and I have no issues.  

so up to 5mL in 5 gal?  that's a good way to remember.

#7 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 30 November 2018 - 08:01 AM

so up to 5mL in 5 gal?  that's a good way to remember.

That's what I'm thinkin Brother drezz means :)

#8 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 30 November 2018 - 08:53 AM

Here is the old thread I started back in 2017

https://brews-bros.c...-is-noticeable/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users