11 replies to this topic

#1 BarefootBrews

BarefootBrews

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 06 November 2009 - 09:35 PM

I am planning to brew an India Brown on Sunday (see recipe in recipe swap). I just realized I don't have enough Wilamette and will have to substitute. Checked on hopunion and I don't have any of the possible substitutions. I'm thinking about replacing the Wilamette (10 and 2 minute additions) with something altogether. I have plenty of Magnum, Chinook, Simcoe, Nugget, Centennial, Cascade, and Amarillo.

#2 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 55449 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 09:38 PM

I would say that the Centennial is probably the best sub of the hops you have available. Magnum would be a close second. Simcoe, Amarillo and Cascade will add some citrus (nothing wrong with it as long as you know). Every time I drink a beer with Chinook, it feels like a took a handsaw to my tongue. Haven't brewed with Nugget so not sure on that variety. Good luck with the beer... I saw that other thread and it sounds nice. Cheers.

#3 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 06 November 2009 - 09:59 PM

Barefoot. My opinion for your substitute would be to use Amarillo if you are just going to sub out the Willamette and use the rest of the hops as your recipe in the swap shows. I brewed an India Brown that was hop bursted with Columbus followed with Amarillo and Cents combination at 20 15 10 5 and 0. It turned out awesome. Served it at a festival last month and got rave reviews. I feel that is your best bet.

#4 MolBasser

MolBasser

Comptrolled by Seahawks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15351 posts
  • LocationChico, CA

Posted 06 November 2009 - 10:11 PM

There should be a shit ton of willies on the market after AB INBEV gave up on them.....That said... Magnum is probably the closest.The rest you have are too citrusyMolBasser

#5 BarefootBrews

BarefootBrews

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 06 November 2009 - 11:11 PM

Thanks for all the quick replies, that's one thing I love about this board. I was intentionally trying to stay away from some of the more citrusy hops (simcoe and amarillo) in this beer, though I do love both of these hops. The advise that I've gotten thus far has helped me decide which direction to take.Ken...I agree with your comments on Chinook being piney and grassy as a bittering hop, which is why I stayed away from them in the first place. That being said, I've never really used Chinook as a late addition hop and was willing to throw it out there as a candidate. My experience with Nugget is that it's very close to Columbus.Ncbeerbrewer...my wife voted along with you on the Amarillo. That's one of her favorite hops. I love the flavor of Amarillo, but have brewed with them so much lately that I'd like to use something else. Amarillo was my 2nd choice to sub for Willamette.MolBasser and Ken...I've used Magnum as a late flameout addition hop on occassion and know that it's co-hum level is low enough (though not as low as Amarillo or Simcoe) to use as a 20-10 min addition hop as well. Magnum was my 1st choice to sub.I'ma go with my gut feeling and use Magnum late additions....unless someone else can convince me otherwise.

#6 zymot

zymot

Comptroller of Small Amounts of Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25967 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 08 November 2009 - 08:50 PM

I am guessing I am too late. However, if it's a brown, (not sure what an India Brown is) you don't need to add any 10 & 2 minute additions.Browns can be a malt centric without alot of hop flavor or aroma.zymot

#7 Slainte

Slainte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 08:59 PM

Fuggles is probably the closest you'll get to Willamette. I wouldn't use Magnum because it's not even close, and as a flavor hop...well...I don't care for it.

I am guessing I am too late. However, if it's a brown, (not sure what an India Brown is) you don't need to add any 10 & 2 minute additions.Browns can be a malt centric without alot of hop flavor or aroma.zymot

India Brown is a brown ale with lots of late hopping. So yes, he does need to add those 10 & 2 minute additions. :cheers:

#8 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 08:48 AM

There should be a shit ton of willies on the market after AB INBEV gave up on them.....That said... Magnum is probably the closest.The rest you have are too citrusyMolBasser

that's why they are so cheap! fortunately for me I like me some williamettes :cheers:

#9 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 11 November 2009 - 09:09 AM

Fuggles is probably the closest you'll get to Willamette. I wouldn't use Magnum because it's not even close, and as a flavor hop...well...I don't care for it.

Yeah but none of the others are close either. Willamette is in a different family altogether than those other hops. Here's what I'd do. It's not going to be the same beer at all but I think it will be good. I'd use Magnum for bittering and a combination of Simcoe & Amarillo for late additions.

#10 Jimmy James

Jimmy James

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 483 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 11 November 2009 - 10:40 AM

A buddy sent me this link recently and I hadn't seen it before. I haven't really digested it fully yet, but it looks like it could be useful. https://zekeshore.com/hops_v1.12.png

#11 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

Comptroller of Some Stuff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 11 November 2009 - 11:18 AM

So thats what Europeans taste like...haha thats a great graph

#12 Jimmy James

Jimmy James

Advanced Member