#1 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 14 November 2018 - 01:36 PM

I have a 5 and 8 year old. They play SNES/Genesis games and a little bit of ps2. My 8 year old likes a lot of kinds of games but he hasn't played any fps. Just platformers, racing games, fighting games. He's also played some stuff like just dance at the y and he seems to like that. My daughter probably would as well. Any suggestions for what I should be looking at? This would probably be a Christmas present.

#2 Vagus

Vagus

Just had an organism

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 59127 posts
  • LocationThere

Posted 14 November 2018 - 01:46 PM

Interested myself.  The xbox games are a little advanced for my son (4).  He likes Halo, but the controls are a little hard for him to manipulate.  And it's like he doesn't even care about how much ammo he has.  Cortana isn't even a person to him.  

And Master Chief?  "Daddy, can i play as a boy this time?"  

#3 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 14 November 2018 - 01:50 PM

That's why I like the 16 bit stuff. Fairly easy to figure out what to do even if it's challenging.

#4 Glacies

Glacies

Comptroller of Schwanz Hats

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5095 posts

Posted 14 November 2018 - 01:55 PM

I think Nintendo Switch is probably a good bridge system for that type of situation.

#5 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 14 November 2018 - 02:14 PM

I think Nintendo Switch is probably a good bridge system for that type of situation.

Seems like either that or a PS4 right?

#6 Glacies

Glacies

Comptroller of Schwanz Hats

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5095 posts

Posted 14 November 2018 - 02:17 PM

Well I mean by all means, you can make a ps4 work, but then you're on xbox level. I think the nintendo company caters much more to a younger crowd in general and their games reflect it.

#7 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 14 November 2018 - 04:42 PM

Well I mean by all means, you can make a ps4 work, but then you're on xbox level. I think the nintendo company caters much more to a younger crowd in general and their games reflect it.

oh yeah for sure but I guess I figured PS4 might have some decent kids games.  I don't really see using a switch in the mobile form but maybe I'm wrong.  Seems like paying for a screen and battery I probably won't use.  are the games more or less expensive for certain systems?  shit is expensive!!!

#8 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 14 November 2018 - 05:19 PM

ugh - so you don't just buy games anymore?  consoles have gone the way of mobile games with in-game purchase of shit?  fffuuuucccckkk I hate that.

#9 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 14 November 2018 - 05:34 PM

so does anyone here have a switch and have some opinions on it?

#10 Vagus

Vagus

Just had an organism

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 59127 posts
  • LocationThere

Posted 14 November 2018 - 06:18 PM

so does anyone here have a switch and have some opinions on it?

Interested myself.  Too depressed to research it.  Xmas has already destroyed my spirit.  It's a bird!  It's a plane!  Now it's a pancake!

#11 cavman

cavman

Comptroller of BigPossMan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12937 posts
  • LocationSomerville, MA

Posted 14 November 2018 - 07:40 PM

My son has the switch, it is a great gaming system. It has games adults will like but has awesome kids games as well, such as Splatoon 2 and the Mario games. You can also download DLC packs that have NES/SNES games to play on it as well. You can Buy the physical game or download for the same price, I reccomend the physical game as you can eat up the storage quick.

#12 BIG POPPA

BIG POPPA

Duke of Errrrl

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25965 posts

Posted 15 November 2018 - 12:49 PM

PC

#13 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 15 November 2018 - 06:19 PM

PC

Really??

PC

Really??

#14 BIG POPPA

BIG POPPA

Duke of Errrrl

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25965 posts

Posted 16 November 2018 - 10:39 AM

really really

#15 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 17 November 2018 - 06:53 AM

really really

Newegg keeps sending me emails for graphics cards that cost more than the most expensive console. So yeah, really???

I do want to hear you our here so hit me with a few details in why you think PC gaming is the way to go for younger kids like mine.

Edited by pickle_rick, 17 November 2018 - 06:55 AM.

#16 Stains_not_here_man

Stains_not_here_man

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111763 posts

Posted 21 November 2018 - 07:15 PM

I feel like this should be in the regular PH. Not complaining but i thought this was the d&d nerds forum

#17 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 22 November 2018 - 03:22 AM

I feel like this should be in the regular PH. Not complaining but i thought this was the d&d nerds forum

I honestly have no idea what this forum is for I guess.  I thought it was anything having to do with console or PC gaming.

#18 BIG POPPA

BIG POPPA

Duke of Errrrl

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25965 posts

Posted 22 November 2018 - 04:58 AM

Newegg keeps sending me emails for graphics cards that cost more than the most expensive console. So yeah, really???

I do want to hear you our here so hit me with a few details in why you think PC gaming is the way to go for younger kids like mine.

Sorry man wasn't trying to be argumentative. It is just my lowly opinion that a good pc will give back more in the long run from entertainment, to education and everything in between. Yes, not as cheap as a Switch, but then you are sort of shackled to the Switch platform..which as I have observed, is a great system, it's just well...I've never been a fan of consoles. I do have them tho, but I find that gaming is so much better on a PC. 

#19 BIG POPPA

BIG POPPA

Duke of Errrrl

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25965 posts

Posted 22 November 2018 - 05:03 AM

I don't make the rules around here so take this with that in mind. IMO the gaming area should be about all gaming. A group may want to hook up for a foray into Fortnite, or engage in some old school Teamfortress deathmatch. It should be all gaming inclusive. That's just my two cents worth, and I'll leave the rest to those who make the rules.

#20 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 22 November 2018 - 06:46 AM

Sorry man wasn't trying to be argumentative. It is just my lowly opinion that a good pc will give back more in the long run from entertainment, to education and everything in between. Yes, not as cheap as a Switch, but then you are sort of shackled to the Switch platform..which as I have observed, is a great system, it's just well...I've never been a fan of consoles. I do have them tho, but I find that gaming is so much better on a PC.

Good points although I think a console is safer for the young ones. As they get older that could change.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users