9 replies to this topic

#1 Glacies

Glacies

Comptroller of Schwanz Hats

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5095 posts

Posted 14 November 2018 - 10:07 AM

Anyone still playing this franchise? Considering picking up Oddessy or Origins soon.

#2 Glacies

Glacies

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5095 posts

Posted 26 November 2018 - 12:50 PM

I think I'm going to have my wife pick me up Origins tomorrow because it's on sale. Looking forward to checking this out. Origins is the Ancient Egyptian story line.

#3 inv

inv

Not Invalid

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13690 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 26 November 2018 - 01:17 PM

I avoid Ubisoft and this series at all costs

#4 Glacies

Glacies

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5095 posts

Posted 26 November 2018 - 01:20 PM

Due to the cash in? I forgot what the big Ubisoft fail was.

I remember, you and I were the only two OG AssCreed Bros.

#5 inv

inv

Not Invalid

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13690 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 26 November 2018 - 02:52 PM

It's just that I kept buying their games hoping I'd like them as much as I wanted to.  They would add some cool idea or gameplay mechanic and polish the game really well, but them just throw so much filler in there that the game isn't fun beyond like 2 hours. 

Like Assassin's Creed would be a pretty game with a fun sword fighting mechanic and parkour. Them the rest would be filled with unfun missions and bullshit collecting of feathers and shit.  Add on the nonsensical story bloat and it just became too much.  Yeah, I'm a little bitter for buying like 3 of those games when I knew better, but still.  That's been the case for all their modern games for me.  Watch Dogs was all that to a t.

#6 Glacies

Glacies

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5095 posts

Posted 27 November 2018 - 04:14 AM

fair enough

I don't know why the gameplay suits me lately, but I totally understand what you're saying. It's probably like that with a lot of people because while GTA V is still like $40, the newest Creeds are $20.

I actually liked watchdogs a lot too.

I think what I like about them is that I can size my time with it so they're the perfect game for this time of my life where I might have 30 minutes to play or jump off immediately. There are deep story line quests with a lot of buildup and then there's the fact that at least in black flag, I can just go and sink pirate ships for 20 minutes and pop off. For the Assassins Creed games, I love the historical information and the exploration element. For Watchdogs it had a bit of a GTA feel to it where I could just drive around and explore or do stupid things for a short period of time.

Not sure if it makes sense, but yeah, I'm a sucker for these games and understand exactly why you're the opposite. 

#7 Promega

Promega

Comptroller of SWMBOs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1791 posts
  • LocationRado

Posted 28 November 2018 - 06:41 AM

I've played these since Altaïr - they are still good for me.  I liked the French one the best.  I can only focus on one game at a time, and for now that's actually Rootin' Tootin' Cowboy Shootin' 2.  

#8 Glacies

Glacies

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5095 posts

Posted 28 November 2018 - 07:18 AM

I've played these since Altaïr - they are still good for me.  I liked the French one the best.  I can only focus on one game at a time, and for now that's actually Rootin' Tootin' Cowboy Shootin' 2.  

I lost my shit with Black Flag. I would sail around for hours and attack other ships - get nothing done in the story at all. Then I'd sit down and say "i'mma do it....right after I sink a few ships" and then would just sink ships for a long time. It was a vicious cycle. Loved it.

#9 Promega

Promega

Comptroller of SWMBOs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1791 posts
  • LocationRado

Posted 28 November 2018 - 07:32 PM

I lost my shit with Black Flag. I would sail around for hours and attack other ships - get nothing done in the story at all. Then I'd sit down and say "i'mma do it....right after I sink a few ships" and then would just sink ships for a long time. It was a vicious cycle. Loved it.

This happened to me.  I don't think I ever beat the storyline.

#10 Glacies

Glacies

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5095 posts

Posted 04 December 2018 - 06:24 AM

This happened to me.  I don't think I ever beat the storyline.

The story was actually really good. Really got that twinge of historical fantasy which is a huge draw for me in this game. I would love to see this game expanded on. It inspired me to read a few books on piracy in the 1700s. A few of the things the game did were inaccurate, but if you read the codex logs it will tell you. I think the pirate diddies (that I was obsessed with) were one of the ones that weren't common in the 1700's, but became a thing in the 1800's. So that was inaccurate.

I fired up Origins last night and am really impressed. It definitely optimized a lot of the gameplay since the French one (haven't played syndicate) and changed some things around. I wouldn't say it's a new game in the way that Invy is unhappy with the franchise, but for fanboys like myself it's a great addition that I'm really enjoying 30+ minutes in.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users